960022782_xHuzH-XL.jpg

970966639_JqMTx-XL.jpg

961518828_ihBUE-XL.jpg

970965563_Cr75u-XL.jpg
Beam me outta here!:winkKT

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    A very well done series..............It look like a lot of noise in the blue sky of the last photo???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CheesheadCheeshead Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    a few HDR's from Europe
    Are these single images processed raw or multiple exposures? They're amazing. Love the church (1&2) best.
  • traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    you're right...
    Art - I did not work on the sky on that one - it seems to be a hazard of hdr that you often get a less than attractive sky when all else is right - in the first photo, I actually replaced the sky with a shot from a few days later....but whenever I get a chance, I'll try to give it another go.

thanks for looking...regards...Keith
    Art Scott wrote: »
    A very well done series..............It look like a lot of noise in the blue sky of the last photo???
    edited August 22, 2010
    your question...
    all of these were three image composites, typically about 1 to 1 1/3 stop apart. All were taken handheld and some of the church interiors are at very high ISOs - I'm very pleased at how well they came out. Thanks for looking...

Regards...Keith
    Cheeshead wrote: »
    Are these single images processed raw or multiple exposures? They're amazing. Love the church (1&2) best.
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Very Nice!!!

Turns good shots into works of art.
  • bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Photos 3 and 5 rocked my world! Loved them!
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • TrigPhotographyTrigPhotography Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Very, very nice! Good work!
    Frank C. Grace
    Shooting with a Pentax K-5 and a slew of other goodies
    SmugMug | HDR Spotting | Flickr | Facebook | Google+
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Is critique appropriate here? Or, do we just say "Nice work!" or pass entirely?

If it's OK to critique, the sky bothers me in the first and last shot. The technique
    has made the sky such a primary focal point that it competes with the actual
    subject. In the first image, the ruin is soft but the sky is dominant. Seems the
    reverse of what I'd go for.

The Louvre Pyramid shot is something else, though. The technique works well
    for this shot. The other shots are well done and well composed (especially the
    street scene), but HDR just doesn't work for me.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited August 24, 2010
    No prob with criticism...
    I am always happy to hear others' comments. HDR doesn't always work and usually needs some good post-processing to get exceptional results. Personally, I don't have the time or inclination to do extraordinary processing. So everything could be better, I'm sure. But thanks for looking and putting in your 2 cents - it's appreciated.

regards...Keith
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Is critique appropriate here? Or, do we just say "Nice work!" or pass entirely?

If it's OK to critique, the sky bothers me in the first and last shot. The technique
    has made the sky such a primary focal point that it competes with the actual
    subject. In the first image, the ruin is soft but the sky is dominant. Seems the
    reverse of what I'd go for.

The Louvre Pyramid shot is something else, though. The technique works well
    for this shot. The other shots are well done and well composed (especially the
    street scene), but HDR just doesn't work for me.
  • bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    but HDR just doesn't work for me.

The one thing I'll never understand about photography (and I see it in my local Photography Club every single day) is why we comment on images using techniques or effects we don't even like in the first place.

I personally like HDR, and even the some of the more "processed" and unrealistic looking images can be beautiful (imho).

I only commented on the 2 images in this thread that I really really liked.

Others had already pointed out the noise in the sky in the one image so there was no need for me to go there.

The other images just didn't do as much for so I left them alone in my comments.
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    The one thing I'll never understand about photography (and I see it in my local Photography Club every single day) is why we comment on images using techniques or effects we don't even like in the first place.

I personally like HDR, and even the some of the more "processed" and unrealistic looking images can be beautiful (imho).

I only commented on the 2 images in this thread that I really really liked.

Others had already pointed out the noise in the sky in the one image so there was no need for me to go there.

The other images just didn't do as much for so I left them alone in my comments.

I think that most people who post in this group appreciate - and want - comments
    on their efforts. My comment was both complimentary about the composition of all
    the images and the HD treatment of the Louvre pyramid image and mildly critical
    about the over-processed skies.

I would think that even a mixed review of HD images, from someone who admits to not
    being a fan of HD images, is better than no comment.

One of the reasons we show our work at our camera club or in a forum like this is
    to see how other people view our images. I don't know about you, but I'm not just
    looking for pats on the back. If someone doesn't like my technique, I'm interested
    in why, so I'm interested in all types of comments.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/