elevated view

ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited September 7, 2010 in Landscapes
Chicago from approximately 500 ft. above street level. It was unusually clear that day. :) C&C welcome.

977294545_2Ab9p-XL.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Somehow I missed this post! That's quite a view and I love how you not only got up close and personal with buildings, but you caught the verdant stretch of trees in the distance, too.
  • ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Somehow I missed this post! That's quite a view and I love how you not only got up close and personal with buildings, but you caught the verdant stretch of trees in the distance, too.
    Thanks! I am fond of this photo, but it hasn't gotten much feedback here. I don't shoot much landscape stuff, so I'd love to get some opinions on how to go about doing them successfully!
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    with a height like that I'd like to see what you could do with a pano. I think either a vertical or horizontal pano would be nice from there. You have great colors and depth in your photo here, but I'm still wanting something else. If you look at the red building foreground center, make that the left bottom of a vertical pano, and make the left the yellow multistory building (top even with "condos for sale", further right), from bottom to sky, you'll see the buildings look like they're stacked one on top of another all the way to the skyline. I think you should play with cropping the image in different ways until you have an arrangement that really jumps out.

Technically, the exposure and colors and everything are amazing, what I'm suggesting is working on the composition - draw our attention to something in particular.
    This photo is amazing! I primarily shoot landscape photography, but I haven't lived in a big city in many years now. This really captures the essence of city life, especially the McDonald's. For some reason, that is the anchor of the photo that has caught my attention!

I agree with red_zone about the pano. But instead of limiting yourself to just horizontal or vertical, shoot this same exact composition as a pano. What focal length did you use for this shot? And have you done many panos before?