What's coming out from Olympus?

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited August 22, 2010 in Cameras
My brother is on the point of buying a E620 but reported to me that he had been told it was soon to be superseded. Does anyone know what this means, if true? Thanks.

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Probably, product cycles vary between manufacturer and product line, but anywhere from 6 months for consumer fodder p&s's to 2-3 years for pro top of the range dslr's.
    I dont keep track of olympus products but its entirely possible that a '630' is due if it hasnt already been leaked somewhere on the interweb or even released already, I have seen mention of the 620 getting cheaper and cheaper, which is kind of the crux of the matter. There are some things I can say with almost certainty, any '630' would be more expensive than the 620 so ultimately it is a choice between paying less for last years product or more for a current one. Remember that your brother probably considered the 620 to be a good match for him and any new camera coming out wouldn't make the older one worse. If you can find good info about a new camera being released then it might be worth waiting to see how much the older one drops in price, but thats only worth it if he doesnt need it in the meantime.
    I bought the 5d2 when it was fairly new and hard to get, I paid a pretty penny for it, probably about 175% of the current price, I don't regret buying it for a second, its paid for itself many times over each year and it dropping in price hasn't made it any worse a camera. I got the 7d when it was pretty cheap (rebates, rumours of a replacement or a 60d) do I regret it now the 60d is coming, nope, again it does what I bought it for and makes plenty of money.
    Try searching about and see if you can find info on a replacement but as mentioned its almost certainly going to be more expensive than the current model which is at the end of its production cycle.

Sound advice, Richy, thanks.

Neil

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Thanks. Check

http://www.olympusrumors.com/

I check canonrumours often, mostly for giggles but it has some interesting stuff. You only tend to get more accurate info a few days before release but rumours do tend to pick up as releases start to get close. If there is going to be anything that site is probably a good place to look for info.

Just went there, good find thanks, was about to search for similar. Nothing on the e620 replacement horizon, and I did note with interest that the Spanish mag review was impressed with the e620 calling it the best dslr camera Oly has produced (at that time).

Neil

• Need2SkiNeed2Ski Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Lots of speculation, angst, and hand wringing on the Olympus boards -- seems somewhat true of most forums, however. The micro 4/3 cameras have captured the spotlight. Historically, Olympus has not released new dSLRs rapidly. Quite a lot of time passed between the release of the E1 and E3. There are rumors of an E5 announcement at Photokina in September but rumors have been all over the board with respect to what the E5 will incorporate. Some speculate that Olympus will completely abandon 4/3 in favor of micro 4/3. The 4/3 rumors site has not, IMO, been very accurate since I've been following these things. Personally, I think the days of smaller format (e.g., 4/3, or APS-C) cameras with traditional mirror boxes and OVFs are numbered. They'll be around a while but I think as EVF refresh rates and focusing speeds catch up to current dSLRs, the breed will slowly fade into history. I'm shooting an e620 and like it a lot but I'd probably wait till Photokina if possible. I've got to think we'll have a better idea of where Olympus is going after that event. The Pens (and Panasonic counterparts) are really interesting cameras. The little EPL-1 probably has the best IQ of any Olympus camera. An E6??? that basically merges the E620 body with the EPL-1 IQ and video capabilities would, IMO, be very attractive.
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    The current "Alpha-Dog" in the Olympus Kennel is currently the E-3.

At the big trade show next month (Photokina) it is expected that Olympus will unveil the "E-5"- which will be a more "up-to-date" professional DSLR.

It is also expected that some new "Pen" mirrorless cameras/updates/lenses will be shown for the Micro 4/3rds line.

I'm already seeing price pressure on current DSLR's like the E-520, 620, and the E-30's. The E-3's are now "order only" in many retailers.

I'm hoping it's something innovative and ground-breaking.. and not "new paint on an old car" situation.