A Truly Stunning Mercedes

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 25, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Stunning enough, in fact, to be judged the overall Best in Show at this year's Amelia Island Concours. It's a 1937 Mercedes 540K. First produced in 1936, the 540K was the high-water mark in German sport-touring cars. They are powered by a 5.4 liter, 8-cylinder, in-line, supercharged engine that put out 180 HP and allowed the car to cruise effortlessly at over 100 MPH.

This particular car is one, of only three, that was made with a covered, trunk-mounted, spare tire. Of special interest, this very car was believed to have been in the possession of the notorious Adolph Eichmann when he was in Argentina after the war.

978233370_AcdmR-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Not that I'm jealous or anything, but you get to shoot where the classics are, and
    I have to hunch through the rain shooting street rods.

Why is it that every time I'm in the Jax area it's raining, but the sun is shining when
    you visit these shows?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Hey Tony,

I believe it's called karma.....somewhere along the line, you must have been a very bad boy:D:D.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

More wonderful Classics, great finds.

Poor Tony, you should let him in on your Secret.

It doesn't Rain on Tom:D:D:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Hi Tom........That is a good looking machine.......I'm envious. If I was hiding out in South America, I don't think I would have picked that car for my ride.:D
    edited August 22, 2010
    Yo Craig,

This Mercedes was absolutely flawless....no telling how much money went into its restoration.

As for Tony.....he needs to learn the steps to the anti-rain dance. Took me quite a while to get the moves down pat.:D

Tom
    edited August 22, 2010
    Hey Gary,

As best I can figure, Eichmann must have had this car right after he got down there. At that time, there were many Germans there who had fled Europe and their support group was pretty strong. I think they kind of flopped around down there with a lot of impunity. It wasn't too long, though, and the Israelis started getting after their asses big time. That's when the thugs started keeping a much lower profile....no more Mercedes 540K sitting in the driveway.

Take care,

Tom
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 23, 2010
    540K -- is that the model or the price, or both? :wow

Nice shot, Tom. thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Beautiful machine indeed!
    Randy
    edited August 23, 2010
    Hey Joel,

I shudder to think what this car may be worth in the collector market...certainly in the neighborhood of $3,000,000 ...perhaps more.
    Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    edited August 23, 2010
    You know, Randy, I can see the pair of us tooling around in this thing.....out on the trail of some good barbecue. Lord, Florida couldn't handle us....it'd have to be in Texas.

Take care,

Tom
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Hey Tony,

I believe it's called karma.....somewhere along the line, you must have been a very bad boy:D:D.

Tom
    rolleyes1.gif
    Michael
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 25, 2010
    Love the lines on that car. Very timeless.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 25, 2010
    Well, Michael, mama always told me to tell the truth.:D

Tom
    edited August 25, 2010
    Hey Ian,

I've been blessed. At one point or another, I've been lucky enough to see and photograph an example of almost every coveted collector car....make and type.... out there. Many have been extremely rare one-offs, others may be one of only a few still in existence. Very few, though, hit you right in the gut like this Mercedes. It's truly regal and breath-taking in its presence.

Tom