A little help please...

pdwagamanpdwagaman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 22, 2010 in People
I am attempting my hand at doing some indoor portraits for the first time. My wife and I are expecting our first child and everyone wants pregnancy pics. I have decent lighting (I hope), and three background choices (black, white, and green). I have a Canon Rebel XS that I have only had a few months to learn, and I am still a bit shaky on it's use.

Any suggestions for how to set up the shots and any hints on working with the camera would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    What do you mean by decent lighting...off camera flash...camera flash...window light? Tell us more about your lighting. Do you have any umbrellas...one umbrella...more than one flash...studio strobes...soft boxes...what lenses do you have...how much room do you have...and anything else you might want to use...please tell us about...so that we are able to give you some suggestions. How far along is your wife...the best suggested time for maternity pics is around 7 months...makes for some good belly shots.

One suggestion about posing is to Goggle maternity shots...and look for something you might like to try...then copy and print a shot book with some of the images for posing purposes. It's a lot easier than trying to remember the pose ...and just show it too your wife and have her imitate it...then you can add spontaneous shots as you like...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif What Ed's said deal.gif
    And welcome to Dgrin! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif What Ed's said deal.gif
    And welcome to Dgrin! thumb.gif

I do agree with both comments above, but just to mix it up, I have another piece of advice.

Think outside the box. Really. One of the best maternity pictures I've ever seen is here:http://digital-photography-school.com/tummy-time-7-tips-for-taking-great-maternity-shots I know it's another forum, but it's got some great ideas on it, too.

There's always the idea of mom posing under a street sign that says "bump", too - it's always different.

Nothing against the poses, but the bow around the tummy, the hands in front of the tummy holding shoes or blocks or whatever and the sonogram in front of the tummy are over done. And we're not even going to discuss the heart with the hands over the belly button.. I'm guilty of every last one of those, per mom's request of course, but had the weather not been so bad that day, we would have easily shot outside for some totally different shots. There's nothing *wrong* with those, but let's see something different!

Flickr is a good place to start, too just run a search for "maternity" and you'll have all sorts of ideas.

Keep us posted, we'd love to see what happens!