The better things are all uphill

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 27, 2010 in Landscapes
My last five posts have all had "Rainier" in the title, so I had to get creative (by stealing a lyric from Jakob Dylan, not by going to a different location! :D).

Danny Seidman (dseidman) and I headed up to Mt. Rainier (Eunice Lake/Tolmie Peak) for sunset on Friday, like last Friday when we barely made it to Ruby Beach due to ferry traffic, we barely made it to the Eunice Lake trailhead in time due to freeway traffic (OK, we left a little later than we should have, but I'll blame the traffic anyway).

When we got to the lookout at Tolmie Peak we saw the moon rise just to the left of the mountain and stunning views in all directions (we could even see Mt. St. Helens). The cloud cover and low angled light was perfect. After shooting a few shots from the peak we literally raced 500 (vertical) feet back down the trail to the perfectly still Eunice Lake to shoot Mt. Rainier's reflection. The mountain and clouds turned a brilliant pink.

After that, we drove to Paradise to shoot night shots (unfortunately there was too much cloud cover), and then sunrise, where we saw a big fat lenticular on top of Rainier and a low layer of fog and endless wildflowers in front of the Tatoosh range (like the night before, we were scrambling up and down the trail, shooting Rainier to the north and the Tatoosh to the south, the light was good in all directions).

Here are some of my favorite photos from that 12-hour period (in chronological order).

#1: Mt. Rainier and moon in the warm late afternoon side light:

978547196_S73tC-L.jpg

#2: This should give you an idea of the view from Tolmie Peak, Eunice Lake is at the bottom:

978527477_4ubk4-L.jpg

#3: Eunice Lake at Rainier's reflection at sunset:

978511546_YyMfF-L.jpg

#4: Eunice Lake at sunset:

977835337_zcsvB-L-1.jpg

#5: Tatoosh range at night (4 minute exposure backlit by a nearly full moon, too much cloud cover for star shots or general night photography):

978517142_fQqz4-L.jpg

#6: Tatoosh and wildflowers (Shimon & Co. - this is what it looks like when they're at the peak!):

978730500_3DAWT-L.jpg

#7: Lenticular cloud at sunrise:

978724415_NwjY6-L.jpg

#8: Low layer of fog in front of the Tatoosh range:

978722328_rxnVb-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    How come you didn't provide this kind of light when we were there? :boid

Great stuff Ron bowdown.gif
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Love them - #1 really shows the mountain at it's glory. The colors of 3 and 4 are amazing. Thanks for showing the real flowers, I'll have to go back and do some cloning now rolleyes1.gif
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    I seriously need to get back out there. Awesome series.
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    What gear was you using?? Lens?? These are beautiful shots you should be proud of.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Thanks for the shots and the story, Ron--sounds like you and Danny had a great time! The last 2 shots are simply stunning!!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    As always, incredible work Ron! Looks like everything came together perfectly! The only thing you are missing is a thunderstorm. ;-)

James
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    your usual excellent work, Ron. i find myself looking at your images and feeling inspired to revisit some of these places and try to get shots half as nice as yours...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    How come you didn't provide this kind of light when we were there? :boid

Great stuff Ron bowdown.gif

I didn't want you guys to think it was easy! lol3.gif
    sgonen wrote: »
    Love them - #1 really shows the mountain at it's glory. The colors of 3 and 4 are amazing. Thanks for showing the real flowers, I'll have to go back and do some cloning now rolleyes1.gif

I think the view from Eunice Lake/Tolmie is my favorite view of the mountain in the park (Paradise might be my least favorite, but the flowers there are crazy).
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    I seriously need to get back out there. Awesome series.

Let me know when, I can show you around or point you in the general direction of the volcano :)
    Ambrola wrote: »
    What gear was you using?? Lens?? These are beautiful shots you should be proud of.

These were taken with the the Canon 24-105 f/4 and 16-35 f/2.8.
    redleash wrote: »
    Thanks for the shots and the story, Ron--sounds like you and Danny had a great time! The last 2 shots are simply stunning!!

Lauren

Thanks! I never regret going to Rainier, even when it's cloudy and overcast, there's so much to shoot there. The wildflowers will be around another 10 days or so probably, after that I plan on returning for some fall colors (huckleberry, mountain ash, etc.) - which I haven't shot there before.
    jamesl wrote: »
    As always, incredible work Ron! Looks like everything came together perfectly! The only thing you are missing is a thunderstorm. ;-)

James

Yeah, actually Rainier has a lot of thunderstorms compared to Seattle, but every time I see them it's at night and too dark to photograph.
    squirl033 wrote: »
    your usual excellent work, Ron. i find myself looking at your images and feeling inspired to revisit some of these places and try to get shots half as nice as yours...

Thanks - really, it's all about volume. The more often you go, the better chance something special will happen (and you learn from your previous outings of course, and can do scouting, etc.).
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    The fog really gets me! The flowers are nice of course but oh elusive fog...

I also love your night shot with the clouds. It's almost cruel that you have to lose sleep over a shot that looks like a daytime exposure.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Incredible work Ron. I really did enjoy all of these!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    These are all awesome but I agree that your Tatoosh shots stick out. I think I'm addicted to Rainier. let's go back soon.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    "I didn't want you guys to think it was easy!" lol3.gif

This is the greatest lesson I learned from you so far: buy an SUV, sleep in your car, and keep going until you get something good. rolleyes1.gif I can now sleep in a car; I just need to buy a big comfortable SUV deal.gif
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    #3 is my favorite!

And I am mad you didn't give me a yell when you were goin back ... again.. :D I am gonna have to PM you on my latest project that I am stuck at doin over here in Silverdale.

Nice set. Wish I were there too!
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    The fog really gets me! The flowers are nice of course but oh elusive fog...

I also love your night shot with the clouds. It's almost cruel that you have to lose sleep over a shot that looks like a daytime exposure.

Yeah, but I don't have to spend any money on a 10-stop ND filter if I shoot that shot at night :)
    ront wrote: »
    Incredible work Ron. I really did enjoy all of these!!

Ron

Thanks!
    dseidman wrote: »
    These are all awesome but I agree that your Tatoosh shots stick out. I think I'm addicted to Rainier. let's go back soon.

Sounds good to me. Just need more vacation days...
    dlplumer wrote: »
    "I didn't want you guys to think it was easy!" lol3.gif

This is the greatest lesson I learned from you so far: buy an SUV, sleep in your car, and keep going until you get something good. rolleyes1.gif I can now sleep in a car; I just need to buy a big comfortable SUV deal.gif

That's part of the lesson, the other part is don't sleep, or just take short power naps during daylight off-peak-light hours :)

Size of car doesn't matter, more often than not I'm so exhausted that I'll just recline the seat backward, and not take the 6 minutes needed to fold the seats, re-arrange the gear, setup the sleeping bag....
    Robbug wrote: »
    #3 is my favorite!

And I am mad you didn't give me a yell when you were goin back ... again.. :D I am gonna have to PM you on my latest project that I am stuck at doin over here in Silverdale.

Nice set. Wish I were there too!

Thanks! To be honest, there is literally zero notice on these things and very little planning. It was more like "we should shoot sunset, we haven't been to Eunice Lake in awhile" and then 2 hours later we were there :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Awesome job as always!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery