Options

Facebook Issue?

Ken KKen K Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited September 14, 2010 in Bug Reporting
NEVERMIND - I lookd in the wrong place on Facebook.

Not sure if this is a bug or not but I went to an image in one of my galleries and clicked the Facebook button. The button changed to a thumbs up and said "1 likes" but nothing happend on Facebook.

Do I need to have some settings set differently? I allow sharing. The image I tried is: http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com/Dorothys-Creations/Dorothys-Drawings/11383702_shtwV#965660453_59JQ8

Thanks in advance for the help>
Ken
Ken Kovak
KenK Photography - Lehigh Valley, PA
http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    SiriusPhotogSiriusPhotog Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Ken K wrote: »
    NEVERMIND - I lookd in the wrong place on Facebook.

Not sure if this is a bug or not but I went to an image in one of my galleries and clicked the Facebook button. The button changed to a thumbs up and said "1 likes" but nothing happend on Facebook.

Do I need to have some settings set differently? I allow sharing. The image I tried is: http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com/Dorothys-Creations/Dorothys-Drawings/11383702_shtwV#965660453_59JQ8

Thanks in advance for the help>
    Ken

I'm curious about this too. i did the same with the same results. On your pic and one of mine......
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I'm curious about this too. i did the same with the same results. On your pic and one of mine......
    If you go to your Facebook wall (not your news feed), you will see a reference to the pages that you "Liked". Your friends will see what you Liked in their news feed. You should see something like this:

980650350_fyjz9-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 24, 2010
    Thanks John, That is exactly what I was going to post as well.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TorgadoTorgado Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Hmmm.... nothing showing up on my Facebook wall when I click the "Like" button for a pic.

http://www.danielsoulegalleries.com/Clients/Katie-Balthrop-Senior-Session/13491817_749Rn#982655824_faXpq

"like" button has turned to a thumbs up, but nothing on my Wall/Profile/Newsfeed in Facebook--- not showing up anywhere...

How long does it take for Facebook to reflect the post?
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    Torgado wrote: »
    Hmmm.... nothing showing up on my Facebook wall when I click the "Like" button for a pic.

http://www.danielsoulegalleries.com/Clients/Katie-Balthrop-Senior-Session/13491817_749Rn#982655824_faXpq

"like" button has turned to a thumbs up, but nothing on my Wall/Profile/Newsfeed in Facebook--- not showing up anywhere...

Are you looking in the Recent Activity section of your Wall (not your news feed)? When I like a Smugmug image, it shows on my wall immediately.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Torgado wrote: »

Sometimes they stick it further down the page. I've found it below 6 updates at times...under the title 'Recent Activity'.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    Are you looking in the Recent Activity section of your Wall (not your news feed)? When I like a Smugmug image, it shows on my wall immediately.
    I should add that your Wall needs to be set to show your posts. It has three options (You + Friends, Just You, Just Friends). Either of the first two options will show your Likes. The third option will not.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    spiffmospiffmo Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2010
    it's not very helpful when it's listed text only six posts down. if i "like" a photo, i'd like to see that photo on both my wall *and* news feeds -- friends will be far more likely to follow the link if they can actually see a photo and if it's in the news feed. is this a limitation within facebook or a limitation in the way that smugmug has written the code for the like button?
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    spiffmo wrote: »
    it's not very helpful when it's listed text only six posts down. if i "like" a photo, i'd like to see that photo on both my wall *and* news feeds -- friends will be far more likely to follow the link if they can actually see a photo and if it's in the news feed. is this a limitation within facebook or a limitation in the way that smugmug has written the code for the like button?
    When you Like something, it will show in your friend's news feeds. When your friends Like something, it will show you in your newsfeed. Your own Like's just don't show in your own newsfeed (which kind of makes sense to me because it's not something you need to see). Here's an item from my newsfeed (a FB friend of mine hit Like on something in a Smugmug gallery):

2010-08-27_0735.png
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    When you Like something, it will show in your friend's news feeds. When your friends Like something, it will show you in your newsfeed. Your own Like's just don't show in your own newsfeed (which kind of makes sense to me because it's not something you need to see). Here's an item from my newsfeed (a FB friend of mine hit Like on something in a Smugmug gallery):

2010-08-27_0735.png
    Likes for single photos is kinda useless if the thumb doesn't show. Not
    all will click out to the link.

Liking a single photo on Smug, the thumbnail doesn't show on FB, newsfeed
    or wall. Testing on this gallery and I have right click protection turned off.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    Likes for single photos is kinda useless if the thumb doesn't show. Not
    all will click out to the link.

Liking a single photo on Smug, the thumbnail doesn't show on FB, newsfeed
    or wall. Testing on this gallery and I have right click protection turned off.
    I wouldn't call it useless. If the photo has a useful caption, the caption shows in the post and some of my friends may be interested in it. I think I read somewhere that the thumbnail only shows after it gets a certain number of "Likes". On the other hand, FB may not know which thumbnail goes with that particular Like and looking at Smugmug's FB coding, I think that is the case.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    I wouldn't call it useless. If the photo has a useful caption, the caption shows in the post and some of my friends may be interested in it. I think I read somewhere that the thumbnail only shows after it gets a certain number of "Likes". On the other hand, FB may not know which thumbnail goes with that particular Like and looking at Smugmug's FB coding, I think that is the case.
    The caption at least shows here so if they click it instead of what looks like
    my site all's not lost.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010

I am confused by this as well. It is possible to build it so it posts a thumbnail to Facebook.

The Faceboook Like feature is practically useless for me at this point. My link doesn't even take people to the liked photo, it takes them to the gallery. I've been told they've been working on different bugs for months yet nothings been resolved. On top of that, I feel like a royal pain in the buttocks simply for trying to get my site to work as it should.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Tecnicole wrote: »
    I am confused by this as well. It is possible to build it so it posts a thumbnail to Facebook.

The Faceboook Like feature is practically useless for me at this point. My link doesn't even take people to the liked photo, it takes them to the gallery. I've been told they've been working on different bugs for months yet nothings been resolved. On top of that, I feel like a royal pain in the buttocks simply for trying to get my site to work as it should.

Nicole, you have your galleries to display by thumbnails. When a photo is 'liked' we don't have the option to bring that 'like' back to the photo in lightbox. The FB api is not terribly flexible but we're trying some things and have been working on your issues since the day you brought them up.

If you set your gallery to SmugMug style, and like from lightbox, the resulting link on FB will take the person right back to the same page in the gallery, with the photo showing as the main photo.

Please have patience, we are working on all the issues you've raised. All of them.
  • Options
    NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    Andy wrote: »
    Nicole, you have your galleries to display by thumbnails. When a photo is 'liked' we don't have the option to bring that 'like' back to the photo in lightbox. The FB api is not terribly flexible but we're trying some things and have been working on your issues since the day you brought them up.

If you set your gallery to SmugMug style, and like from lightbox, the resulting link on FB will take the person right back to the same page in the gallery, with the photo showing as the main photo.

Please have patience, we are working on all the issues you've raised. All of them.

Like I said, I feel like a pain simply because I want things to work as they should.

The blame has quite frequently been attributed to my gallery style of choice. I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to use the thumbnail style gallery and expect it to work unless you all disclose somewhere on your site that not all functions are supported in this gallery style and I happened to miss it.

More blame seems to get passed to the Facebook API. But then why are other photo sites able to control their Facebook integration in a way you claim is not possible? I am not saying I do not believe you, but it is difficult to understand when I can see it working on your competitor's sites.

You've also previously blamed my customizations and/or the Wibiya toolbar.
    Can you please put yourself in my position and try to understand how all this finger pointing appears from my perspective?

Because I feel I was patient.

Admittedly, I've lost some of that patience. I've run out of time and will now be adding more to my site and will undoubtedly have more traffic from an audience that I know are avid Facebook users with a lot of "friends" in the field I would like to market to.

I am now forced to change the appearance of my site, or I am going to lose out on a lot of potential exposure because of the lack of Facebook integration. Even if I do switch, the Facebook integration is still not ideal or up to par with what is available on other sites.

If I had been aware that these things would take so long to figure out, I could have switched to Zenfolio or PhotoShelter who both have a no muss, no fuss Facebook integration. That is no longer an immediate solution for me so I am (?justifiably?) frustrated.

And I feel it is because of my previous patience that I am in this position. From all the glowing reviews about SmugMug customer support, I believed this would be resolved in a timely fashion. There was also a lot of hype about the "Coming Soon" Facebook integration. So I sat and waited for awhile. Now my deadline is here, and I do not have time to start over with another site.

So please be patient with my new impatience and understand that I've simply been trying to help diagnose the problems and offer possible solutions. I know tone can often get lost in written communication, so please know I am not trying to argue or be combative. I simply want my site to work and integrate well with Facebook in a way that makes sense. I can also empathize with your position because I am sure you want to be able to have things working as they should for your customers.

(I just reviewed your homepage at smugmug.com and your Facebook integration is the first feature mentioned and then again at the top of your list under "even more". From an impartial perspective, shouldn't your integration be functional and at least at the same level as your competitor's sites if you are going to list this as a key selling factor to new SmugMug customers?)
  • Options
    I am now forced to change the appearance of my site,

You don't have to. We're trying to make it so things will work as you expect in Thumbnails style, too.

You can use SmugMug style in the meantime and you'll have the behavior you want.

Nicole, thanks for posting and again in advance, for your patience. We're working on things.
  • Options
    You've also previously blamed my customizations and/or the Wibiya toolbar.

Totally and completely and fully unrelated to any Facebook SmugMug stuff. Your wibya toolbar does cause errors on your site. That's a separate issue.