Canon 50D Question

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited August 24, 2010 in Cameras
Everything I've ever read about it says that it has one center crosshair, but mine has none..it only has boxes. Is this something I should be concerned over? It's weird that it doesn't when it is supposedly supposed to.
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 23, 2010
    I don't believe that you will find a "cross-hair" in the viewfinder. Perhaps the confusion stems from the term "cross type" AF point?

The Canon 50D has 9 cross type AF sensors. The difference is that each of those sensors in the AF system can distinguish focus in either horizontal or vertical orientation, meaning that the AF sensor will find focus on an edge of the subject when the edge is in either orientation.

I believe that the center cross type AF sensor is also more accurate when using lenses of f2.8 or larger.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Did you get your 50d used? Sounds like maybe someone change the Focus Screen, I've got the EF-D I think, it's grids in the view finder. Very, very useful for me. In fact, I just bought a used 50d and hand to find a screen for it on ebay because adorama and b&h were both backordered.

If you want a regular focus screen, I might have a spare.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8