Promo shots... for me (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 26, 2010 in People
This one is hard to put out there, if only because I'm so NOT a model (SP's are one thing, but to do something like this really makes me self-conscious!). That said, I'd rather have feedback on it before using it than after I've already sent it out and see it on posters! So, C&C definitely sought - please don't be afraid to bring it on. :thumb I'm not sure I can face a reshoot - the hair and makeup took for freaking ever to do - but I do have other ones in the can to consider if this one's a flop, and can absolutely adjust processing and treatment, so ...

I shot this to promote a voice recital I'm doing with my husband, a program based loosely around the life of, and works inspired by Edgar Allan Poe. First performance will be on Halloween - kind of what prompted the idea for the programming! - but we're hoping to take this one further afield (and if anybody out there has associations with producing bodies, presenters, or promoters, including educational institutions, by all means get in touch with me via PM if you want to know more!)

In any case, this is specifically intended to go with this program, so I decided I'd do something a little bit Rossetti-ish and a little bit gothic-inspired-ish thus the superpale and highly-smoothed skin, but I didn't want it to crossover into actually vampirical. But it IS meant to be stylised/extreme, not naturalistic.

In any case ~gulp~

1. Cropped. I like this the best, but I think it's more "period" uncropped, hence why I worked on those too. Yeah, I needed more hair light. But I kind of like the fade to black in this instance, given the dark/gothic/night feel I wanted.

979949579_oWC4M-L.jpg

1a 979925764_JerGV-L.jpg

2. Texture 1 (aiming for Rossetti-ish look - not sure I've got the hang of textures yet, but fwiw)

979926023_fiCzE-L.jpg

3. Texture 2 (I don't like the way it's feathered where I've brushed it away - tips for doing this better?)

979940539_JPxo4-L.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    lighting, hair, costume, focus, color look great. I am not digging what you are doing with your hands (awkward) and the "smile". The smile looks more like smirk to me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • RKD-PhotographyRKD-Photography Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    This one is hard to put out there, if only because I'm so NOT a model (SP's are one thing, but to do something like this really makes me self-conscious!). That said, I'd rather have feedback on it before using it than after I've already sent it out and see it on posters! So, C&C definitely sought - please don't be afraid to bring it on. thumb.gif I'm not sure I can face a reshoot - the hair and makeup took for freaking ever to do - but I do have other ones in the can to consider if this one's a flop, and can absolutely adjust processing and treatment, so ...

I shot this to promote a voice recital I'm doing with my husband, a program based loosely around the life of, and works inspired by Edgar Allan Poe. First performance will be on Halloween - kind of what prompted the idea for the programming! - but we're hoping to take this one further afield (and if anybody out there has associations with producing bodies, presenters, or promoters, including educational institutions, by all means get in touch with me via PM if you want to know more!)

In any case, this is specifically intended to go with this program, so I decided I'd do something a little bit Rossetti-ish and a little bit gothic-inspired-ish thus the superpale and highly-smoothed skin, but I didn't want it to crossover into actually vampirical. But it IS meant to be stylised/extreme, not naturalistic.

In any case ~gulp~

1. Yeah, I needed more hair light. But I kind of like the fade to black in this instance, given the dark/gothic/night feel I wanted.

979925764_JerGV-L.jpg

2. Texture 1 (aiming for Rossetti-ish look - not sure I've got the hang of textures yet, but fwiw)

979926023_fiCzE-L.jpg

3. Texture 2 (I don't like the way it's feathered where I've brushed it away - tips for doing this better?)

979940539_JPxo4-L.jpg

You have a very nice presence in front of the camera.

I like #2.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    (sorry -went back and edited another one in so the numbers are different now)

Thanks both!

I knew somebody in here would pick up in the hand position :giggle I had to clone out the remote (one of the reasons I prefer the crop) rolleyes1.gif

The expression I was aiming for was that slightly vacuous fixed smirk Rossetti's models often had - I'm not sure I like it, but it was what I was trying for...
    edited August 23, 2010
    (sorry -went back and edited another one in so the numbers are different now)

Thanks both!

I knew somebody in here would pick up in the hand position :giggle I had to clone out the remote (one of the reasons I prefer the crop) rolleyes1.gif

The expression I was aiming for was that slightly vacuous fixed smirk Rossetti's models often had - I'm not sure I like it, but it was what I was trying for...

ahhh..if you were going for a smirk then you have achieved it..but I don't think it works outside of that narrow context.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Hey Diva! Great work and excellent drama here! I'm casting my vote for #3 (2nd texture). I really like the tone of it with your gorgeous dress! I do like the crop, but the dress is just so nice it would be a shame to hide it. Your hair looks AMAZING! Wow, that must have taken a long time. Perfection! The lighting is super and I just had to smile at the remote clone-out. I did a sp the other day for Yuri's thread and I had to wrap my arm around my back to hide the remote for the shot of me by the window. It is pretty darn difficult to take pictures of yourself so I can really appreciate how hard this must have been! I think you did a great job capturing the Rossetti look and this sounds like it will be a perfect shot for this event! Nice job!!
    edited August 23, 2010
    Thanks, Kelly! Yeah, this was one of those "ooh, I have an hour or so while the kid's out with friends so why don't I quickly throw something together to see if it works" ideas, then I got absorbed in doing the hair (that's a fall, btw - my own hair is still the length as in my profile picture, so only the front is my own) then realised I had to clear the studio to use since my unpacked suitcase was still in it and there wasn't room until it was moved blah blah blah blah blah. So by the time I got to shooting I was kind of over it already and it was HOT in all that hair! rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, here's another alternative. Not sure about an indirect gaze, which is a little demure for my kind of in-your-face performance style, but the pose is more stylistic and interesting and the hand position is for sure better (2-second delay remote setting, how I love thee. When I remember to use thee. :giggle). I think I might might have overcooked the diffuse glow on this one too, but that can be reprocessed if necessary. Experimented with leaving the texture on the whole thing as another possibility, too - I'm definitely experimenting now I have these in the can :D

Bottom line is that the shot needs to both reflect the program, and interest people to come along and listen, if only to find out more. Kind of like a CD or book cover.... All thoughts welcome!

980213255_cSQ43-L.jpg

PS Kelly, it's not a gown, but a kimono-style jacket/duster (I usually wear it over black pants/tank for dressy occasions when I don't want to wear a gown). I put it on backwards and draped appropriately to get the neckline I wanted (don't ask to see the outtakes where it didn't work out!!). It just had the right kind of Pre-Raphaelite pattern and the velvet draped just right, so it was handy to grab and play around with (and proof that as long as the back doesn't show, you can get away with almost anything in a photo if you fiddle around with it enough ... :D)
    edited August 23, 2010
    oooh..I like this shot better. the smirk seems to go with looking away and the hands look fine now. the only nit is your nose seems to get lost in the face..some localized contrast maybe?
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I like #4! I don't have clue on how to achieve the following in PS, but I would try:
    - use the texture only as a background
    - make it look old, like is been sitting in a frame for 60 years
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I really like the direction you took with the processing in #4. Perhaps, one with similar processing, but eyes looking at the camera?

Nice work overall !!
    Bruce
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I think you need to be looking at the camera. I like the color and overall feel of your first set. I don't like the makeup. I think you need to even out your lipstick or turn your head at a different angle. Right now, your lips don't look even. I think, because of the style choice you're going for, even if you have to fudge on the fullness of your lips, make it look fuller.

You're beautiful. It's not going to take much to make the image just what you need.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Very nice. I like the last one you added here best.
    Not much of a texture person, but should you either ease a bit or totally remove the texture across your face (and perhaps hair)?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 24, 2010
    Diva! I LOVE the last one. That's your ticket!
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    Diva! I LOVE the last one. That's your ticket!
    thumb.gif
    edited August 24, 2010
    Thanks for the fantastic feedback, each and every one of you. Taking that all on board, I've reprocessed the first image from the ground up - my gut feeling is I need eyes to connect, and I also like the way the hair falls better in that shot than any of the others. I haven't ruled the second one out, but wanted to try the first one again before giving up on it. These are still the two I like best from the shoot.

This time I processed it as I did the second one, going even a bit further with diffuse glow... but trying to keep some nose definition, and pumping up the lips a bit more (it's a very bizarre experience to change one's own face so much that it becomes NOT one's own face... and thus easier to work on in a detached way! Really weird. But I digress....). I also found a better hand to replace the original - if you know I was holding the remote you can still imagine it how it was before cloning, but I think it is a more natural position that I can get away with for non-photographers :D Something about this version makes me look wider than I am (and I need NO help in that department, thankyewverrymuch rolleyes1.gif) - I think I cloned some shadowing out of some folds and it changed the proportion; well re-look at that...

However... thoughts - does this work better for the direct look shot? (And THANKS again for all the responses - it is SO helpful thumb.gif)

981431995_b4qZ9-L.jpg

6. (still working on texture opacity and how/where to brush off, blending modes etc. Not sure about it yet, but playing....)
    981432348_fo8GQ-L.jpg
    edited August 24, 2010
    Hey Diva! If eye connection is what you're going for then #5 is my vote for sure! I like the cleaner look than in #6. Nice job on the reprocess! I wouldn't have noticed the remote until Quarik pointed it out! I also still really LOVE the distant, far off look. Seems to set a nice mood.. Love em both. Great job!
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Diva:
    Ok, I'm going to change my vote on the processing.......having seen 5 & 6 side by each now, I vote for 5 on processing.

I really love the eye contact you have going in #5, that makes it! thumb.gif
    Bruce

I just came back to the two of them again, its a toss up, I like the creamy texture of 6 as well.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Oh no! I will totally have to go against the grain here. Sorry in advance if I sound bit harsh (yiikes). In my opinion this is not one of your best sets. After having seen your recent post of your daughter this is kind of a disappointment to me ne_nau.gif :cry

1.) Your make-up: I am sure it works on stage (strong so people sitting far away will see your facial expressions), but it does not photograph well. It's way too strong / harsh, and not flattering to your skin. I KNOW you are a pretty lady, but this does not do your justice

2.) Smirk: Oh noooo, I don't really see it :cry headscratch.gif I think it could be a bit smirkier? ne_nau.gif To me it looks like you're biting on YOUR bottom right lip as the bottom left looks for some reason "fuller". Not liking the facial expression.

3.) Skin texture. To me it looks like you touched up your whole upper chest / neck area, but you left out your smiley wrinkles (around the mouth). It somehow looks a bit out of balance ne_nau.gif Believe me I am your girl when it comes to making everybody's skin look silky smooth (and yes, I totally admit I overdo it at times rolleyes1.gif), but I just don't think it works here.

4.) Body position. Oh no! rolleyes1.gif I'll be really rude now and tell you it looks sloppy :cry, Do you hate me yet? It might be the dress, but it's def also the way you're sitting, your hands (btw they look way too short because of the way your dress falls), your shoulder, ... the images just aren't strong to me. What are you trying to "sell". Is this supposed to be a strong / powerful / sweet / smart woman? I don't understand it.

5.) and a btw! : Kuddos to you for doing a self portrait, it's not an easy task (it really isn't and you did way better that I would have done thumb.gif). But if you need some promotional photos, why not contact a fun, young, local photographer? I bet there are many photographers out there that would LOVE to shoot you, and 2 creative minds + 2 sets of eyes can sometimes be much stronger than one. Just a thought.

... Boy .... now I even told you to go and see an other photographer umph.gifrolleyes1.gif .. you know I mean well. But why do all this work (I bet it took you a TON of tried to come up with something nice) & kill yourself like this rather than enjoy a couple minutes in front of somebody else's lens? Try it, we all know you are a great photographer and I am sure you'd do just as great as a model thumb.gif

ANYWAY! Those are just my thoughts, take them or don't (don't hate me tough, I promise I'm a nice girl rolleyes1.gif + usually really like your work iloveyou.gif)

(uhmmm ..... we should have a peace-smiley :giggle)
    edited August 25, 2010
    Absolutely NO offense taken Angie and, in fact, I'm extremely grateful and flattered you would take the time to give that kind of detailed critique! I'll answer your points below, but rest assured that I appreciate every word. Truly! iloveyou.gif
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    1.) Your make-up: I am sure it works on stage (strong so people sitting far away will see your facial expressions), but it does not photograph well. It's way too strong / harsh, and not flattering to your skin. I KNOW you are a pretty lady, but this does not do your justice

Actually, the makeup was fairly light and geared for photo not stage (skin-tone-evening foundation, slightly emphasised but neutral eye, and just enough lip colour to define the lips so I could work on them afterwards - I had a feeling I'd be tweaking that!) - what took the time was keeping it *even*, and not overdoing it! Most of the emphasis is done in post ... including the strong lip colour. I had on a neutral for this part of the series. Point being.... it's highly adjustable if it doesn't work :D
    2.) Smirk: Oh noooo, I don't really see it :cry headscratch.gif I think it could be a bit smirkier? ne_nau.gif To me it looks like you're biting on YOUR bottom right lip as the bottom left looks for some reason "fuller". Not liking the facial expression.
    This is my main reservation at this point, too, Smirk or whatever you want to call it, it achieves what I set out to do, but I'm not sure I actually *like* it! This is what happens when you try to copy painted art ... rolleyes1.gif That notwithstanding, it was the eyes-into-camera one I liked best from the series.
    3.) Skin texture. To me it looks like you touched up your whole upper chest / neck area, but you left out your smiley wrinkles (around the mouth). It somehow looks a bit out of balance ne_nau.gif Believe me I am your girl when it comes to making everybody's skin look silky smooth (and yes, I totally admit I overdo it at times rolleyes1.gif), but I just don't think it works here.
    Is this on all of them, or just the first set? I addressed the smile lines in the later reworks, although perhaps need to go even further? I took the skin retouching WAY beyond anything naturalistic (to say the least rolleyes1.gif), but was trying for that white, smooth "painted" skin look (again, emulating the style of Rossetti, Hunt et al. Even art-nouveau stuff like Mucha)
    4.) Body position. Oh no! rolleyes1.gif I'll be really rude now and tell you it looks sloppy :cry, Do you hate me yet? It might be the dress, but it's def also the way you're sitting, your hands (btw they look way too short because of the way your dress falls), your shoulder, ... the images just aren't strong to me.
    Yes, I noticed the foreshortened hand too. I know what you mean about sloppy - although to me it looked "drapey" rather than actually unkempt rolleyes1.gif - but I liked the diagonal pose, which is typical of the art of the period I had in my head ... which is also what dictated the choice of garment. I don't mind the folds (I cleaned up a few of them), but if it looks odd, then that's food for thought. ETA: relooking at this I totally see what you mean about BOTH arms being foreshortened. DUH! Why didn't I notice that before??!?!?? :bash
    What are you trying to "sell". Is this supposed to be a strong / powerful / sweet / smart woman? I don't understand it.
    That's a very good question, actually, and probably one I haven't answered clearly enough for myself (marketing 101, anybody?! Oy.rolleyes1.gif). I do know I want something to visually reflect the music (a lot of 19th Century dreamy, evocative French, plus some good ghost stories) plus people's concept of Edgar Allan Poe (ie 19th century Gothic, neo-Medieval, supernatural, sinister, dreamy). The Pre-raphaelites dropped into my head the other day, and I went and shot it while the idea was fresh in my mind and I had a couple of hours to work on it.
    why not contact a fun, young, local photographer? I bet there are many photographers out there that would LOVE to shoot you, and 2 creative minds + 2 sets of eyes can sometimes be much stronger than one. Just a thought.
    Frankly? Not only the obvious challenge of no budget, but .... I also like to keep creative control over it because I DO have a strong idea of what I want the finished product to look like (this is only maybe 60% of the way to what I had in my head, btw, but it was a start). That's bad, I know - I swear I'm not really a control freak!! - and if this project goes further afield and I have money to hire somebody whose work I LOVE and who would understand what I want to help me put together a really high end promo package, then I would do exactly that. But at this point... it falls to me.
    (uhmmm ..... we should have a peace-smiley :giggle)
    Totally not necessary - comments taken 10000% in the spirit they were meant, and I appreciate them!! Not sure I can take action on all of them, but I've tucked everything away to think about and use... if not this time, then the next. It's great stuff!! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Late to the Party
    Where've I been??

Hey, For a "Poesque" program I think #3 nails it. Nice lips. The other poses, the lips looked a bit "geisha-ish." Just lose the Maori tats. That's a very late 19th century look, and I like it. iloveyou.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I like the porcelain pale skin you have going here.
    I agree on the first few shots about the lips--something not right.

My favorite of the bunch is #4. I like the processing and your look on this one. Then #5.

I think you nailed the look you were going for, but you do have some helpful tips there if you want to perfect the look and do a reshoot, afterall it's going to be plastered in many places.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 25, 2010
    Small update on this: 1. deadline has been pushed back so I have more time than I thought to play around with processing, compositing some of the others and continuing to tinker (and maybe even re-shoot if I have the strength to do that hair again!) and 2. I spent a trip to Barnes and Noble today wandering around looking at the covers of all the bodice-ripper historical novels for ideas (most of which I hated actually - a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing!)). Is that sad or what?!?!??!

Again, my sincerest thanks to ALL of you for the input. I've got so many more ideas now and will continue to play with this. I may wind up using what I've got, but if not... I have a ton of ideas for making it better if there's a "next time"!!

You guys all rock my world, as usual iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    ...and if this project goes further afield and I have money to hire somebody whose work I LOVE and who would understand what I want to help me put together a really high end promo package, then I would do exactly that. But at this point... it falls to me.

So, you know, there's this chick photographer who lives not TOO far from you who does all sorts of crazy shoots and, you know, would totally collaborate on just a shoot because she hasn't shot anything in months.

Just sayin'. wave.gif
    edited August 25, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif :lol

I'm laughing out loud here, simply because YOU were the person I was thinking would be perfect for this particular concept-shoot if I ever had a budget!!!
    edited August 25, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    So, you know, there's this chick photographer who lives not TOO far from you who does all sorts of crazy shoots and, you know, would totally collaborate on just a shoot because she hasn't shot anything in months.

Yeah, where the hell have you been?
    John :
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif :lol

I'm laughing out loud here, simply because YOU were the person I was thinking would be perfect for this particular concept-shoot if I ever had a budget!!!

Uhm ... welllll, there you go! Oh boy would I LOVE to see what you guys would come up with!! cheerleader.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Yeah, where the hell have you been?

I've been here, just more in lurker mode since life went a bit crazy for me around March. Things are finally settling down. Sorry for the prolonged silence!

We'll see if a collaboration project doesn't break that trend. mwink.gif
    edited August 25, 2010
    Drag the Diva to Alexandria, and I'll drop down from McLean and hold your reflector mwink.gif.
    John :
    edited August 26, 2010
    Oh my... this is starting to sound like a dgrin "must-do", isn't it (even if it WOULD mean being surrounded by Nikonians..... naughty.gif)
    edited August 26, 2010
    I could borry a 'Cannon' if it wd make you feel safer. :ivar
    John :