Options

Transition:From Sharing to Selling

MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
edited August 24, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I've had my dslr for almost 3 years now.
I got it because I was just missing too many pics of my kids with my P&S.
I have developed a bit of a reputation as the photo mom for baseball, scouts, and school.

I am considering starting to charge for downloads and prints to mainly pay for my habit instead of just sharing. ....I want more stuff.

I am not looking to quit my day job, but I would not mind selling some of my landscape prints in addition to the sports and school stuff.

Anyone else made this transition?

Possibly, without going full time pro?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    What software do you process with?? Does it allow for adding words to your photos....ie a signature,
    not a copyright notice but your name in a cursive style.....I use mistral font in as close to gold or silver as I can...Also I use black.

Also wit hthe Landscapes, you might want to see if any resturants, coffee houses and such will allow you to hang and sell from their businesses.......
    for that you should, in my opinion, either hang Gallery wraps or Metal prints.........and nothing smaller than 16x20 .........sell the little prints off the website.....

Only prob I see right now is I can only look at a slide show......I am one of the ones that dislikes slideshows.......you need a gallery for what is in the slide show.

As i stated above sign all work.....if can put a copyright notice in your meta data do so, watermark your images so people can no longer just take them....remember if I can see it I can use it........

Is your website a power or pro site?? also on your private galleries.......give people a tease of what is in there....by picking one image as the feature........
    people seem to like a featured photo as a marker for their private gallery......at least those people I have private galleries for do...............

Good Luck.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I looked at your gallery and enjoyed your pictures. Judging on the presentation it looks like you have already gone "pro".

I regularly take the decision NOT to do it. I run my own business for 10 years and I know you need to set up properly and that costs. My idea of a minimum package would be a legal entity, some contracts reviewed by a lawyer, and an accountant. As soon as you take money for services you become fair game for tax, lawyers, and unreasonable customers. I would sooner give away images to people who help me enjoy my photo hobby than charge them. Normally they ask for prints and I show them my receipts and they give me cash - no profit, no loss, no business.

You need to be confident that you can clear a few thousand dollars a year from your photography - imo - before you take the step.

Maybe one idea from my own past. When I started I already had a job so I bartered my time. So YOU could say, I'll do your wedding if you give me xyz lens. This way you stay under the radar for a while as you consider whether running a proper business is going to work.

(By the way, I am still dreaming of that perfect landscape to hang in a gallery - keeps me going. I won't be posting it until I figure out what to do).