Guess the Challenges

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited August 25, 2010 in People
This is from a shoot in July, my first senior of the year.

1. 928020768_q32CG-L.jpg

2. 928027068_oDFLH-L.jpg

3. 928036196_HLjhy-L.jpg

4. 928241140_tWkq2-L.jpg

5. 928022851_MigDZ-L.jpg

6. 928029706_pmkxL-L.jpg

C & C welcome.

Comments

• shutterbug616shutterbug616 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I'll play tough love here and say the lighting is just off on all of them...Locations for the pics don't compliment the young lady. Number#5. is the best of the bunch.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Tough love card again ;) I think the best of the bunch is #1, but I agree with John on the lighting and WB, which both seem a bit off. Did you shoot these in RAW? I'd consider going back and using the dropper to play with your WB. #3 has a yellow, green cast... and #5 seems way to red to me. As for the pose in #6... a 3/4's body shot is fine, but I'd have her turned to an angle and looking back over her shoulder. I've only done one senior session myself so I have a ways to go...so take all of my comments with a grain of salt! One more thing that jumps out at me is that the processing is radically different for each shot. I'm all for original processing, but I think maybe a max of 2 different styles/tones. Okay..just my 2c. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see these reworked with the WB adjustments :)
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Hey there,
    Ok I don't post in people often but I always lurk. So here are my observations.
    First--I love her smile, she' very natural looking and kind of refreshing without all that make up etc. Although the processing is different from shot to shot, they all remind me of the 70's--that kind of hippy girl look and I dig it.

Shot #1 is my favorite, just love it and I like the POV.
    I also like #4--again that 70's orange kind of processing, love her natural looking smile--it's an odd shot and processing, but I like it.

The only one I don't like is the last one--does nothing for her and I so wish that #2 was more in focus because it would be a lovely shot.

My 2 cents.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I think #1 is the best. I agree with Lizzard on 4. I do like the 70s feel and it seems to lend itself to her hair and natural style. Many of them seem underexposed and I would like to see her face brighter. I'm not digging the processing on 3 and 6.
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Two words - fill flash.

I like #1 best.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I like the pose in #2, but appears to have some color cast from the brick wall. I agree with Surfdog, add some fill flash and as others have noted, check your wb.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    #1 for me, too - it really focuses on her lovely eyes and smile. What happens with 3 if you crop it portrait and/or maybe do some tilting? Could work on this one (and with the 7d you have enough rez to crop it waay down thumb.gif ).
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Thanks SO MUCH everyone. YES, fill flash. Yes, yes, yes. With my old set up, I was skeeered. This was one of last shoots with my old gear. Now I have the shizz and can work with my stuff and not against it.

I'll play with the PP with these suggestions. My personal challenge was to get her to like them. I was under pressure from the mom not to make her look heavy. Yes, she said that to me. The girl is 6'3" and isn't too confident in her body, so I wanted to make her feel beautiful and not self-conscience. She loved the shots. Now I'll work on my end of things. Thanks again.
  • brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    My modest opinion
    I like portrait shot vertical. the #1 & 2 with a little touch up are OK and if you could change the background even better. The rest are not impressive but you can improve them with a better backdrop and lightning. Yes a little flash fill up could make magic.