Mechanical Problems with 20D

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited August 29, 2005 in Cameras
:help I have not been having very good luck with my less than 3-month old Canon 20D. First, the 17-85 lens that came with it decided it preferred to be a 35-85 mm lens and is now at Canon for warranty repairs. :cry This left me without any lens at all. Fortunately, a friend lent me the lens he used to use with the 10D (24-85 mm) and last week I bought the 50 mm f/2.5 compact macro.

Today I tried to open the built-in flash and got the ERR 005 message. Nothing obvious is interferring with the flash opening up. Battery is well charged. The machine just goes click, click, click and throws me the error message. My Speedlight 420EX is working fine.

Has anyone else had these or similar with the 20D or is it just me?

Am off to the dealer from whom I bought the camera, but without much hope in my heart.

Email

Comments

• swab29swab29 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    :help I have not been having very good luck with my less than 3-month old Canon 20D. First, the 17-85 lens that came with it decided it preferred to be a 35-85 mm lens and is now at Canon for warranty repairs. :cry This left me without any lens at all. Fortunately, a friend lent me the lens he used to use with the 10D (24-85 mm) and last week I bought the 50 mm f/2.5 compact macro.

Today I tried to open the built-in flash and got the ERR 005 message. Nothing obvious is interferring with the flash opening up. Battery is well charged. The machine just goes click, click, click and throws me the error message. My Speedlight 420EX is working fine.

Has anyone else had these or similar with the 20D or is it just me?

Am off to the dealer from whom I bought the camera, but without much hope in my heart.
    I have had mine for 8 months now and never had any problems... except for something that one of the firmwares fixed recently.
    Imagine taking pics for 30 min before a wedding and then right as the bride is coming down the aisle the "known issue" of the camera randomly not taking pictures occurs. as soon as the pastor starts talking the camera works again.headscratch.gif
    Other than that no, it is pretty stable.
  • OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    Take a look at the contacts on the flash shoe. One of them may be stuck in a position that gives the camera the signal that an external flash is attached.

Olga
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    Swab29, that sounds like a true nightmare. At least the failure I experienced today was not mission critical!! Glad the problem is now fixed for you.

Olga, your suggestion is a good one. Fortunately, for the moment anyway, I don't have to worry about it. It appears that the failure of the built-in flash to open may have been a software issue. Before taking it to the dealer, I put in a freshly-charged battery and the thing still wouldn't open. I then put back in the battery I had been using and left the camera turned off. When I arrived at the dealer's, I went to demonstrate my problem and the darned thing worked!! clap.gif They told me that taking out then reinsterting the battery and giving the camera a rest sometimes fixes this type of "mechanical" malfunction. Just like I have to do with my computer sometimes. rolleyes1.gif

I would still like to hear if anyone has had problems with the 17-85 mm stabalized lens that comes with the 20D.

Thanks!

Va.

Email