D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    So that 28MP 5dII was just an advance prototype, I guess.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Wow this is going to give new life to my 4"x6" prints!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 24, 2010
    The official Canon announcement:

http://www.canon.com/news/2010/aug24e.html

This is just a "development" test for Canon and there is no intention of making this commercially. It's more of a "just because we can" sort of thing. Note that, "In 2007, the company successfully developed an APS-H-size sensor with approximately 50 million pixels."

It is significant that the sensor is an APS-H size because people have been predicting the end of that format for years.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I wonder how the image actually would LOOK if its not just a giant blob of pixels
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Wow, it'll just be like the view camera days. Stick a compact flash card in the camera, take a raw picture, "Card Full," swap with second card, take a second picture, "Card Full," swap card...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 24, 2010
    Meh, I'll still manage to blow the highlights.
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I noticed it said nothing about the dynamic range of the sensor. I am also curious if the optical lenses will be able to resolve all that resolution (I'd like to see image resolution charts with that sensor with various lenses). Interesting development though.
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Nothing wrong with technical progress...since it's a vague article, no one knows what practical applications this may have down the road. Regarding their focus on new products, I'm sure they are working on actual production product improvements as well...this is just R&D bragging...just like concept cars from every auto manufacturer...nothing wrong with it.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
    edited August 24, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    I figure if you buy 9 p&s cameras, arrange them in a 3x3 grid and stitch the files together it should give you a good idea :)

@richy
    Not on the actual IQ of it won't. the processor can only handle so much information. If you have 9 cameras you'd have 9 processors doing work that this sensor is only supposed to have 1 processor with it

Otherwise yeah that'd be a better joke rolleyes1.gif

@thegridrunner

Optical lenses are way ahead of sensors right now so I'd say probably yes or at least most of it
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I think it's great news! They could put it into a camera with 2 extra processors to smooth all the noise, plus refrigeration - imagine how consumers will swoon over 120MP and 4xDigis and an in-camera icebox. People could crop down to 10%, and wacko! you've got an image nearly as good as from a 40D sooc!clap.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited August 24, 2010

thumb.gifrofl

Neil

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 24, 2010
    the new CMOS sensor makes possible a maximum output speed of approximately 9.5 frames per second, supporting the continuous shooting of ultra-high-resolution images.

If their processing power has increased exponentially to handle that, then we had better have terebyte cards coming out soon. An HD image of 1920 x 1080 would comprise of only 1/60th its pixel area. Yikes.

I can see shooting with it, but maybe on a RAW4-sized setting. :D

But back to reality. Who here thinks the next actual real product move will be to offer a semi-medium format dSLR with a 36 x 36mm sensor? 1DsIV perhaps?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 24, 2010
    David_S85 wrote: »
    ... Who here thinks the next actual real product move will be to offer a semi-medium format dSLR with a 36 x 36mm sensor? 1DsIV perhaps?

I would love to see a square format digital sensor. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I would love to see a square format digital sensor. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Dave Thomas would approve if we added bacon and cheese!

Seriously though, can we focus on high ISO performance now for a while? I mean, how about no noise at ISO 128000 - that would impress me!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
    edited August 24, 2010

Seriously though, can we focus on high ISO performance now for a while? I mean, how about no noise at ISO 128000 - that would impress me!

Yes ISO would be a great thing to start on. I want less noisy hand held night shots :)
    edited August 24, 2010

No noise??!!!eek7.gif

Neil

edited August 25, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    No noise??!!!eek7.gif

Neil

Noise should be optional
    edited August 25, 2010
    i was only half joking :) I was thinking of a post from the smugmug blog where someone had done the 3x3 with dslr's. True you would need really serious processing power to process 1200 megapixels per second but shooting raw (seriously, 14bit raw @ 120megapixels @ 10fps would eat cards but I am confident that the silicon exists to cope with it, it would be limited by the output rate to cards. You are into needing 4 cards with each being written to in turn and a huge buffer.
    Part of me likes canon pushing limits, part of me wants them to get their act together and fill out their lens range some more of maybe even get into MF digital (or pentax to release that $10k 40mp camera as a back instead of a whole camera).
    As for optional noise! That would rock! And a pocket sun flash :) and a 14-400 1.8 IS lens.

14-400 1.8 that would be a whopper! 20lbs of glass anyone? Currently the Lexar 600x CF and equivalents write at 45MB/sec at least in the MKii so it could actually do a frame every 2.5 seconds or so at that speed with a buffer of like... 3-4 frames lol :D
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010

Yea, hehe but we have to wait until they manufacture a memory card that can take more than 10 RAW files :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited August 26, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Yea, hehe but we have to wait until they manufacture a memory card that can take more than 10 RAW files :D

A raw would be about 110MB :)
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    A raw would be about 110MB :)

dang, but 120mp sounded so much bigger :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited August 26, 2010
    I think it would be bigger, especially at higher isos. my 5d2 tends with 21mp creates raws around 24-27 mb the 7d about the same (as I tend to use it at a higher iso than the 5d2. I would think it would be in the 130-150mb range.

Yeah it would with grain ... either way 1.1-1.5GB for 10 pics