Options

Lightroom 3 and Flickr

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 25, 2010 in Finishing School
I'm sure some of you know that you can setup LR3 to publish directly to FLickr in about 3 mouse clicks once setup.

Is it possible to do this with photobucket??

The reason I ask is I like photobucket over Flickr because with the free service PB has no restrictions like Flickr does, and at this point I really have no reason to pay for the yearly fee is I can do the same thing with PB.

While I'm asking, are there any major advantages to using Flickr over photobucket, even if paying the fee??

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisNChrisN Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Try here http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies.

I am using another one of his export plugins and it works great for me. He seems to have them for most of the major online services.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I've never seen a "This picture has exceeded it's bandwidth" for a flickr picture. Seriously it's 2 bucks a month for unlimited uploads at full rez with unlimited bandwidth.

That said, I've used flickr for four years now.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    I know, i know!!!! I swear I'm not cheap guy Laughing.gifOLaughing.gif. But seriously, what are the advantages of Flickr over photobucket. Because to pay for something that I can get for free is just down right stupid IMO.

I'm not saying the picture exceeds bandwidth. I mean that you can only upload 100Mb per month. Which IMO is not a lot at all.

R.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    I know, i know!!!! I swear I'm not cheap guy Laughing.gifOLaughing.gif. But seriously, what are the advantages of Flickr over photobucket. Because to pay for something that I can get for free is just down right stupid IMO.

I'm not saying the picture exceeds bandwidth. I mean that you can only upload 100Mb per month. Which IMO is not a lot at all.

R.
    Flickr used to be 2Gb... and then Yahoo bought it and the cap for uploading disappeared thumb.gif

I'm not sure about PB or SM but flickr lets you organize your stuff by set and collection which is nice. Private folders. Statistics on each picture/link/set/collection/etc. All kinds of nifty stuff. mwink.gif

• Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    What you mean about statistics is what, how many time people view it?

I'm not a big power user for PB all I really use it for is sharing pictures with family and friends after event's, vacations etc.... PB I know it lets you create albums and it lets you lock them so you can only get to them with a password. I would think Flickr has the same.

Let me ask you, does Flickr upload Metadata with the images? I think any info that is entered in LR3 in regards to keywords, copyright info etc... is upload into Flickr. Can you confirm that? I'm not sure PB does allow for that.

I have noticed that A LOT of photography individuals use Flickr and I've always wondered why.

I guess I need to do some more detailed research on this.

R.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    What you mean about statistics is what, how many time people view it?

I'm not a big power user for PB all I really use it for is sharing pictures with family and friends after event's, vacations etc.... PB I know it lets you create albums and it lets you lock them so you can only get to them with a password. I would think Flickr has the same.

Let me ask you, does Flickr upload Metadata with the images? I think any info that is entered in LR3 in regards to keywords, copyright info etc... is upload into Flickr. Can you confirm that? I'm not sure PB does allow for that.

I have noticed that A LOT of photography individuals use Flickr and I've always wondered why.

I guess I need to do some more detailed research on this.

R.
    Flickr can created private folders with passwords with or without expiration dates if you need 'em.

I use the Uploadr tool and from there I pick privacy, tags, descriptions, etc before I even have to upload the file. You can even rename while uploading.

Yes to your question about stats too. You can see individual views of each pic and even where the person came from to get to your picture (which is a great way to find if people are stealing your pics.... like some home improvement site did with one of mine, grrrrr)

EDIT: It's difficult to steal pics also with flickr cus you can choose what resolutions people can see your picture at. If they try to right click it'll work but they'll download a gif called "spaceballs" that isn't actually a pic at all. (firefox has a nifty way around this but they're still limited to the size/resolution you pick for public viewing).

• Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    I just ordered a 2 year subscription with Flickr. So now I'm going to setup LR3 to publish the images in just a few clicks.

Thanks for all the info.

R.