Slioch

Dimitri_VDimitri_V Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited August 27, 2010 in Landscapes
First light that touches Slioch mountain in Wester Ross on an early winter's morning.
The moss on the fg rock was glowing and played a great part in the composition. Lucky to have some clouds in the sky.

4926707751_c052c75f39_b.jpg

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Well done, Dimitri. I think your treatment is very well handled. There's introspective aloofness and solemnity in this landscape. I'd like to know what gear you used, and especially how you get foreground and the hills all in focus.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    For me the moss really makes this work. I agree that the processing is also lovely.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Dimitri_VDimitri_V Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Well done, Dimitri. I think your treatment is very well handled. There's introspective aloofness and solemnity in this landscape. I'd like to know what gear you used, and especially how you get foreground and the hills all in focus.

Neil
    Now I use the 5D mkII and 45mm Tilt lens and with the tilt, i shoot landscapes at f11-13 however, this one was taken with the 5D mk I and 17-40 lens at f22, using hyperfocal and being very careful.
    I wouldn't recommend f22 unless necessary and definitely NOT if you are using a camera with crop sensor.
    Practice, practice, practice and take your time.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    yep, that beautiful moss really makes this shot... the vivid green really stands out from the drab brown of everything else - an island of verdant life in a sea of dead brown grass. the light on the moss really makes it pop. very nicely done indeed!

as for settings, i shoot with a 5D as well, and never use f/22 unless i really need to slow the shutter down and can't do it with ISO and/or an ND filter. if you're using hyperfocal focusing, there's no need stop down beyond f/14 or so, since it really doesn't gain you anything in terms of DOF, especially with a short focal length lens.

i checked out your website... some very nice landscape and B&W shots there!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    The moss really does make this photo. It's one of the first things that pop out at me. Great shot!
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Dimitri_V wrote: »
    Now I use the 5D mkII and 45mm Tilt lens and with the tilt, i shoot landscapes at f11-13 however, this one was taken with the 5D mk I and 17-40 lens at f22, using hyperfocal and being very careful.
    I wouldn't recommend f22 unless necessary and definitely NOT if you are using a camera with crop sensor.
    Practice, practice, practice and take your time.

Appreciate that, DV.thumb.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Dimitri_VDimitri_V Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    yep, that beautiful moss really makes this shot... the vivid green really stands out from the drab brown of everything else - an island of verdant life in a sea of dead brown grass. the light on the moss really makes it pop. very nicely done indeed!

as for settings, i shoot with a 5D as well, and never use f/22 unless i really need to slow the shutter down and can't do it with ISO and/or an ND filter. if you're using hyperfocal focusing, there's no need stop down beyond f/14 or so, since it really doesn't gain you anything in terms of DOF, especially with a short focal length lens.

i checked out your website... some very nice landscape and B&W shots there!
    Thank you. thumb.gif