Options

Lightroom 3 & Publishing to Flickr Sets???

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 30, 2010 in Finishing School
I just finished setting up LR3 publishing service so it's a simple few clicks to upload my images to Flickr.

The one part I can't seem to figure out how to do is to upload the images into a specific collection or set from LR. And BTW what is the difference between those 2, sets and collections?

I'm hoping I don't have to upload the images, then create a set and move the images. If it can all be done from the get go, it would be great.

R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    :lurk
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Are you using Jeffrey Friedl's Flickr Plugin. It will do it. Export Plugin for Flickr

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    Never mind. I figured it out using Flickr. LR3 will even create the set name that I create in LR.

So we're good to go. thank for the feedback.

R.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    Never mind. I figured it out using Flickr. LR3 will even create the set name that I create in LR.

So we're good to go. thank for the feedback.

R.

Well, I haven't figured it out! Tell . . .
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    Lightroom 3 Flickr Publishing setup:

Before you do anything in LR, make sure you have a Flickr account. You'll need to log in to it. You'll be able to do this from the Flickr Publisher in LR.

Double click on the Flickr option under the Publishing Services at the bottom of the left side in the Library module.
    The publishing manager will open up. Go through the options that you want.

The one setting that confused me a little bit was in the Flickr Title section.
    In the IPTC section of your metadata, you have various sub-sections, one is called Status. In the status section you have an entry labled "Title".
    In the LR Flickr Publisher you have options on how flickr will behave with the file names based on what you have typed in that Title box. So you need to pay attention on how you have things set up both in the publisher and in your metadata. I think that if you have something typed in the "Title" box in your metadata, it will overwrite the settings in the "File Naming" section of the publisher.
    Play with this section a bit. It was a bit confusing to me, but then again I had no idea what I was doingne_nau.gifscratch. Still don't eek7.gif

When you're done setting all your preferences, LR will create a collection. By default the collection is called "Photostream".

Once done creating and setting everything, you can add pictures to that collection. When done adding images, you can click on publish and LR will convert the files and upload them to Flickr.

Now let me explain something I learned later. When LR creates the "Photostream" collection (which you can rename), Flickr does not see that as a collection, what Flickr does is create a "set", not a "collection", with the same name as the collection you created in LR.

You can create more than one Flickr "collection" in LR. ("set" in Flickr). In one group my settings are set to publish my public pictures. The other is set up to publish private family pictures. This way I don't have to change settings depending on what I'm doing. I named them respectively as well. BTW the settings name is different than the LR collection name.

I'm still playing with setting in LR and Flickr to see what does what, but so far it seems to work well and it's a huge time saver. I see why people love LR.

Well I hope this isn't clear as mud. If you have any questions, please ask away.

R.
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Hi: Does one have to have a "Pro Account" with Flickr to get LR3 to do it's thing?
    Thanks.
    ED

www.photoman74.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    No. I don't have a Pro account in Flickr. I have published photos to Flickr with LR3, just to see it work, but I didn't know about the sets and collections thingy. For my purposes Smugmug (Pro) is way better than Flickr, which I see as more of a community and less of a Photo site, but some folks really like Flickr.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    No, but I found the limits of the regular Flickr account to be a bit restrictive. For $25.00 for the year i found it to be worth it.
    I was using photobucket because it doesn't have any restrictions. But I really like the LR Flickr feature. In just a few clicks my images are on the net without having to go on the internet.

With photobucket I have to export the images, go to PB, create the album, browse to the images i want to upload, save the images, get the link to share.

With LR3 add images to collection, click publish, get link to share. Done.

The one thing I need to figure out is how to get the link for sharing from LR. If possible.
    R.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    Yeah, I think I'm just being stubborn not to spend $25.00 on a pro Flicker account. I just really like Smugmug.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    I kind of found it.

If you right click on the LR collection there's an option to show in Flickr. That takes you straight to the site and set created. Then I can just grab the link from the browser.

I have to say it would be pretty difficult to make it much simpler.

R.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    I know how you feel. If it wasn't for this feature I would stick to photobucket.

R.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    No, but I found the limits of the regular Flickr account to be a bit restrictive. For $25.00 for the year i found it to be worth it.
    I was using photobucket because it doesn't have any restrictions. But I really like the LR Flickr feature. In just a few clicks my images are on the net without having to go on the internet.

With photobucket I have to export the images, go to PB, create the album, browse to the images i want to upload, save the images, get the link to share.

With LR3 add images to collection, click publish, get link to share. Done.

The one thing I need to figure out is how to get the link for sharing from LR. If possible.
    R.

You can export directly to Photobucket from LR3, as well as Shutterfly, Facebook, PicasaWeb, Smugmug, etc etc...

I know someone pointed out Jeffrey Friedl's LR to Flickr plugin, but he also has others that I use, including to Photobucket. My wife uses Shutterfly, and Friedl doesn't have a Shutterfly plugin, but I was able to find another one by another developer linked from Adobe's website.

Anyway, check out Friedl's LR Goodies page. I had started out using LR's default publish to Flickr service just as you are, but I decided that I prefer to "Export" rather than "Publish." Plus, I had started up a Flickr account just to use this service before I found out about all the plug-in and custom export possibilities.

I mostly use Facebook to share photos with friends, so at first I was publishing to Flickr, then I had Flickr linked to my FB account, and it was all a bit clumsy. I discovered and configured Friedl's LR-to-FB plug-in, and now when I finish developing a photo such that I'm happy with it, all I have to do is right-click on the photo, then select Export to FB, and the plug-in creates the JPEG, sets up my caption, and sends it to my chosen photo album (or I can use the plug-in to create a new album on the fly if that's what I want to do), and also opens up my browser and takes me to my album if I want. It even can automatically create and save a snapshot of your develop settings and send out a tweet (with a link) that you uploaded a new photo.

You can do it just as easily to Photobucket, just right-click on the image, and send it straight to the web hosting service of your choice. Don't feel limited by the Publish to Flickr service that came bundled with the software!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    this is good info. thanks

R.
  • Options
    shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    flickr is better in a way, as many more people know about flickr, than Smugmug. Consequently will go there(Flickr) first to search for particular photos, searching on tags or keywords. If you are trying to sell images, it's another business social networking site in the arsenal.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Don't neglect to send a few $$ to Friedl if you use his plug-ins. We want him to keep doing these great little apps.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Don't neglect to send a few $$ to Friedl if you use his plug-ins. We want him to keep doing these great little apps.

Definitely, and thanks for the reminder! His apps are great, and he has a lot of other worthwhile reads on his blog as well. I need to get off my rear and send him something, I installed his plug-ins just a few weeks ago, and I've used them enough to know that I definitely want to keep them, so I need to contribute to his efforts!
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thanks all - I don't want to use Publish - I will stick with Export in LR#3.
    I am finding LR3 is so much different than 2.6 - BETTER. I am attempting to go through Scott Kelby's LR3 book chapter by chapter. I am up to chapter 4 and IMO Adobe has done a great job with this update. Anyone else doing the same and finding any problems a neophite old man should know about.
    I too like Smugmug the best for showcasing my images.
    Thanks again all.
    ED

www.photoman74.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    I do find LR3 to be a better, more feature rich product, but make sure you back up your catalogs. LR3, for me, has proven much less stable.
    John :
  • Options
    shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Icebear - you mention, as others have plural 'catalogues'.
    why have you, if you have, set up more than one catalogue? What's your strategy?
    what have others done in this regard?
    Steve (shoppix)
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Actually, I was speaking to the group. More than one person, so plural catalogs. I do not have multiple catalogs. I've not seen the need. So . . . back up your catalog . . . all of you! Wait, that implies joint owners of a single catalog. And maybe LR3 is more stable if you use catalogues instead of catalogs. I'll try that. Ferget I said anything.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    I know of at least one photog who maintains multiple catalogs. He starts a new one every quarter. I'm not sure if it's for data corruption purposes, or simply because he shoots so much that the catalog sizes get overwhelming. He shoots pretty much exclusively HDR, so for every shot he produces, at least 9 files go in. I think he mentioned that LR slows down some when the catalog size gets too large. I can't say I've noticed that, and I have something like 18k photos in my catalog (yeah, I'm still just a baby). ;-)
    My site 365 Project