Canon G11 ... What's not to love?

geodegeode Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited August 30, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,

Tis time to add a new camera to the collection. I'm an old-timer who learned to shoot with an old old 35mm rangefinder and a Speed-Graphic.

But those Speed Graphics aren't very good as a main camera when travelling on a motorcycle. :D

So I've been looking around the web, reading reviews, trying to learn what the current crop of digital cams have to offer, and I find myself leaning heavily towards the G11 as a camera that is light in weight, shoots RAW, has a decent lens, will fit in my tankbag, and won't break the bank.

What am I missing, both the good and the bad.

:dunno

tia

Comments

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    the G12 is rumored to be coming soon :)
    //Leah
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Its as sturdy but unfortunatly also as big and heavy as a brick :D

Thats the biggest nit, you cant put it in your pocket.. altough i cant recommend it with the s90 either, already busted the protection sliders doing that :cry
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited August 25, 2010
    oh and if its anything like the G10, the movies are sub-par for the money it costs compared to the competition.
  • 3power3power Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I had one for two weeks and then returned it. Really, the IQ is only good at low ISO. For the money Canon is asking, the sensor is just too small. Admittedly, the controls and handling are terrific, though, as is the build quality.

I picked up an Olympus E-PL1 for only a few bucks more and it is a much better camera, albeit a bit bigger as well. If it had an integrated viewfinder, it would be perfect. I had to buy the external one, though, and that cost another $250 ne_nau.gif
    edited August 25, 2010
    can you pick up a pen for the same money? here in The Netherlands its almost twice as expensive (~400 vs ~800 euro, which is what? 10.000 dollar?)

Pen is a very nice camera of course :D

Would love to see the S90 ring on the G series, that would rock!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I decided that the G11 was too big to be an anywhere camera and too small to be the DSLR I already have, so I skipped it for the LX3 which has better video and a hot shoe and is still smaller than the G11, small enough for jacket and cargo pants pockets.

But that's me; I cared about those features. If you are only concerned about pure still photography and it's going into a bag, not a pocket, you should consider the G11 and the micro 4/3 line.
  • geodegeode Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I'm old-school and like the eyelevel finder. As has been pointed out, adding that feature to other cameras = $250 alone.

I travel by motorcycle, so the size isn't a big deal. As an old-school guy I have lots of experience toting much heavier cameras around on boats, hills, etc. The G11 can't be as heavy as an F-1 with a 200/2.8 hanging on it. :D

I looked today at several other cameras, like the LX3 and the E-PL1, and I'm sure they are nice pieces of kit, but boy they are small in my hands. Sadly the Hunts store I went to sold their G11 yesterday so I couldn't try it for size/shape/useage.

I tried an S90, a nice camera, but again, it's soooooo small in my hands, and lacks the eyelevel finder.

Thanx for all the replies.
    edited August 27, 2010
    geode wrote: »
    I'm old-school and like the eyelevel finder. As has been pointed out, adding that feature to other cameras = $250 alone.

I travel by motorcycle, so the size isn't a big deal. As an old-school guy I have lots of experience toting much heavier cameras around on boats, hills, etc. The G11 can't be as heavy as an F-1 with a 200/2.8 hanging on it. :D

I looked today at several other cameras, like the LX3 and the E-PL1, and I'm sure they are nice pieces of kit, but boy they are small in my hands. Sadly the Hunts store I went to sold their G11 yesterday so I couldn't try it for size/shape/useage.

I tried an S90, a nice camera, but again, it's soooooo small in my hands, and lacks the eyelevel finder.

Thanx for all the replies.

The E-PL1 is BIGGER in the hands than the G11, by the way. The G11 viewfinder isn't all that good - that was one of the disappointments I had with the camera. I didn't find it heavy, though.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    I use a G9. I like it sufficiently that I won't bother researching alternatives if it breaks - I'll just get the current version, G11 or whatever. It fits perfectly in my jacket pocket or my wife's handbag, and that works fine.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Here in Blighty....
    Both the Sony NEX 3 and the Olympus E-PL1 go for not much more than the G11. If you want controls comparable to the G11, the bigger (but quite light) Panasonic G1/10 cameras offer all of this (plus the G1 provides a great viewfinder).
    edited August 27, 2010
    3power wrote: »
    The E-PL1 is BIGGER in the hands than the G11, by the way. The G11 viewfinder isn't all that good - that was one of the disappointments I had with the camera. I didn't find it heavy, though.

I got to try a G11 today, and yes, the viewfinder isn't that great. More like a view-aimer. Kinda sad about it, but I already knew it only showed 77% of the image area. My wearing glasses makes it worse of course.

Was impressed by the auto-focus ability at extreme macro.

It's not too heavy in my perception.

It does fit my hands quite nicely.

I've had a lot of experience with Canon, and the G11 follows the same path of being a rugged feeling, slightly heavier, not-a-lot-of-extra-bells-and-whistles type camera that the old F-1s gave me.

I've looked and tried other cameras, but nothing "felt right" unless I went to a DSLR. Right now I'm not in the market for a DSLR.

Thanx for the tips and commentary!

I'll ponder it a day or two, but I'm strongly leaning to getting one.
    edited August 27, 2010
    The macro ability is great on the G11, actually.

4851045900_a72f90e437.jpg

Don't get me wrong - as far as compacts go, I think it's the best on the market (although the new LX5 might be in the running based on some reviews). If you like it - buy and enjoy it! :D
    edited August 27, 2010
    3power wrote: »
    The macro ability is great on the G11, actually.

Don't get me wrong - as far as compacts go, I think it's the best on the market (although the new LX5 might be in the running based on some reviews). If you like it - buy and enjoy it! :D

Yeah ... the money is burning a hole in my pocket ... now have to decide who to buy it from. BestBuy wants MSRP and no extras. B&H, Beach, Adorama all have it at a discount price and offer kits with extras for about MSRP.
    edited August 28, 2010
    If I were you I would hold off just a little while. There is a good chance the G12 will be released very soon. If you are going to pay MSRP, might as well wait on the next model. Otherwise, definitely buy from B&H if the price is better.

Here's another option - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674231-REG/Samsung_EC_TL500ZBPBUS_TL500_Digital_Point_and.html This guy has gotten some good reviews, has the same size sensor as the G11, a metal body, and a f/1.8 Schneider lens for $400.
  • Need2SkiNeed2Ski Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Others have expressed many of my views of the G11. If you want real portability the S90, new S95, or some of the Panasonics have nearly equivalent IQ but are much smaller. It's almost as big and almost as expensive as an E-PL1 but the E-PL1 is, IMO, much more camera. Video on the G11 is mediocre. It does have a viewfinder. Not a great viewfinder but a viewfinder. Certainly not a bad camera. Folks that have them seem to like them. But it occupies a niche that has little appeal to me. Your mileage may differ.
    edited August 30, 2010
    I got to try one, and loved how it felt in my hands, and so I searched the web for the bestest deal. Found it on Amazon.

It was eye opening to see some super low pricing, and then upon scanning the "what's in the box" listings it was obvious they seller had pulled stuff from the standard Canon box and would be glad to sell me the battery or charger for an additional cost.

The Amazon deal had the full Canon kit, plus 16gb card, spare battery, etc, for about $500.

it should be here in 2 days.

Thanx for all the replies, I did read them and ponder. But as we all know, camera choice is such a fickle personal choice. The G11 just seemed to fit me best.
  • daq7daq7 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I have a G11 as my portable and I love it. I really like the user interface on it, and the swivel display is very handy. I think it takes really good shots, it CAN go in your pocket although it certainly is large for that. I think it is an extremely good camera, and frankly I wish my T2i had the swivel and the same interface....
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I am amazed every time I use my S90. I would imagine the G11 to be every bit as good. The image quality is great. But the autofocus is slow. I am still coming to grips with it for action shots. I have a water case for it and have used it a lot in the water.
    edited August 30, 2010
    Congrats - good choice thumb.gif