Once upon a time there was this hoverfly...

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited August 26, 2010 in Holy Macro
...who just walked around the table, across a piece of sponge that was being used by my daughter to wipe her chalk board. I got my camera, reversed my 18-55mm kit lens, and shot him. Just used on-board flash for these. What do you think?

4913867905_db82c0a7af_b.jpg

4913896539_75c925238a_b.jpg

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I think its amazing you can get live subjects with reversed lens macro :D

Other than that it obviously looks a little soft and grainy but you knew that. rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I think its amazing you can get live subjects with reversed lens macro :D

Other than that it obviously looks a little soft and grainy but you knew that. rolleyes1.gif

You have to hold your breath and have steady hands! ha ha!

Yes, they are not the best shots, and without a decent macro lens, they won't be. But until I have the funds for a good lens, I'm just playing with this...I think I am doing ok considering!

Cheers! :D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Again not bad with the reversed lens. Did you try setting the aperture on the lens before reversing it ?

Brian v.
    edited August 26, 2010
    Again not bad with the reversed lens. Did you try setting the aperture on the lens before reversing it ?

Brian v.

Yes...I tried two ways, not sure which will work.

1. Set aperture, then holding down the (don't know what it's called) aperture "preview" button, remove the lens.

2. Set aperture, power down camera, then remove lens.

I also tried a few times with my 35mm M42 manual lens - no problems with aperture, but less magnification than 18mm.

Cheers
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Believe me when I say, the lens will not help!! I have the best money can buy, and stil have a terrible time. You are doing great!! Its the exicution,not the gear??
    edited August 26, 2010
    Ambrola wrote: »
    Believe me when I say, the lens will not help!! I have the best money can buy, and stil have a terrible time. You are doing great!! Its the exicution,not the gear??

Thanks! I believe that if I can get it pretty good with "lesser" equipment, then when i DO get the better equipment I will be fabulous!wings.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Yes...I tried two ways, not sure which will work.

1. Set aperture, then holding down the (don't know what it's called) aperture "preview" button, remove the lens.

2. Set aperture, power down camera, then remove lens.

I also tried a few times with my 35mm M42 manual lens - no problems with aperture, but less magnification than 18mm.

Cheers

#1 will work, not sure about #2 but suspect not.
    Brian v.