Comments

• jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Pro:
    - Nice images, like the colors!
    - good control of light (flash)
    Cons:
    - your copyright notice is annoying.
    - cropping is tempting, but I think you went too far with these.
    - slightly misfocussed, or a bad case of diffraction :)
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    jax wrote: »
    Pro:
    - Nice images, like the colors!
    - good control of light (flash)
    Cons:
    - your copyright notice is annoying.
    - cropping is tempting, but I think you went too far with these.
    - slightly misfocussed, or a bad case of diffraction :)

Thanks for the pro's. :D

The copyright notice is only there on images on Flickr, obviously my originals don't have that. You just have to look past it...

I haven't cropped that much...there will be some aberation due to poor optics in the macro filters...in the first few, the very thin DoF doesn't help.

Cheers
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Thanks for the pro's. :D
    The copyright notice is only there on images on Flickr, obviously my originals don't have that. You just have to look past it...

It looks terrible, distracts and won't stop anyone from stealing them. But if you think it is vital to have them in there then by all means, go ahead.
    I haven't cropped that much...there will be some aberation due to poor optics in the macro filters..in the first few, the very thin DoF doesn't help.

headscratch.gifAre you using reversed lenses? If so, open up the aperture. A few stops above it's widest opening to f8 or something. If it is the filters (which I highly doubt) it's simple. Sell those.

cheers and keep practicing, you are on the right road.thumb.gif
    edited August 26, 2010
    jax wrote: »
    It looks terrible, distracts and won't stop anyone from stealing them. But if you think it is vital to have them in there then by all means, go ahead.

headscratch.gifAre you using reversed lenses? If so, open up the aperture. A few stops above it's widest opening to f8 or something. If it is the filters (which I highly doubt) it's simple. Sell those.

cheers and keep practicing, you are on the right road.thumb.gif

Thanks...yes, sometimes I am reversing the lens, and I am starting to stop down a touch, too. In the beginning it was all as wide as I could, as everything was dark. But I'm trying to put everything into practice I have been told. :D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Getting better - rather like #5 even though it's a little soft from diffraction softening at F36. Macro is all about practice. First of all trying to get good focus and finding out what camera settings/methods work best and then getting once you are more confident at being able to get a shot, working on composition and shooting angles.
    Brian v.
    edited August 27, 2010
    Getting better - rather like #5 even though it's a little soft from diffraction softening at F36. Macro is all about practice. First of all trying to get good focus and finding out what camera settings/methods work best and then getting once you are more confident at being able to get a shot, working on composition and shooting angles.
    Brian v.

Cheers, Brian.

Went out yesterday and DIDN'T use f36! Instead, I used my old russian 135mm f2.8 manual lens, with a +10 macro filter. It has a restricting ring for the aperture, so I set it so I couldn't go past f11 even if I tried! rolleyes1.gif

How does this look?

4930009126_c1567e7819_b.jpg
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Much sharper. Still, I'd get a good diopter if you really like macro, opposed to lens reversing. Raynox makes an extremely high quality diopter for only $60 that loses no sharpness or contrast, and adds no noticeable distortion. If you use it on a lens with a diameter larger than around 62MM you'll start to see a black circle at high F stops (like F22-F32). 52-58mm have been sweet spots in my own experience and don't get the black ring at all.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/275182-REG/Raynox_DCR_250_DCR_250_2_5x_Super_Macro.html#accessories
    edited August 27, 2010
    Much sharper. Still, I'd get a good diopter if you really like macro, opposed to lens reversing. Raynox makes an extremely high quality diopter for only $60 that loses no sharpness or contrast, and adds no noticeable distortion. If you use it on a lens with a diameter larger than around 62MM you'll start to see a black circle at high F stops (like F22-F32). 52-58mm have been sweet spots in my own experience and don't get the black ring at all.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/275182-REG/Raynox_DCR_250_DCR_250_2_5x_Super_Macro.html#accessories

I will look into that...Thanks. Pleased that I am getting a little beter even with my cheap equipment! :D
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 28, 2010
    YES MUCH BETTER, i do like the first weevil shot .
    lighting still a bit too bright, it is burning out fine detail
    edited August 28, 2010
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    YES MUCH BETTER, i do like the first weevil shot .
    lighting still a bit too bright, it is burning out fine detail

Yeah, it's the lighting I struggle with still.
    I am trying to diffuse the light, but then it's still too bright. i lower the flash compensation, and it gets too dark. I'm told to shoot no wider than f11, at ISo 100, but it's too dark. I'm still working it out headscratch.gif

Working on my next home made light rig as we speak! :D