60D announced (for real this time)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Howzit wrote: »
    There is always the 7D...

"The 60D's image quality offers few real surprises, given that it utilizes essentially the same sensor and processor as the 550D and 7D. Despite having more pixels than the 50D, which would usually count against it in our pixel-level testing, the 60D improves on its predecessor even at the pixel level - producing very good high ISO images with few signs of the pattern noise (banding) that the 50D could be prone to. In fact, all round image quality is a step forward from the 50D in just about every respect.

Dynamic range, noise and color are all up the the high standard we'd expect from our experiences with this sensor in its sister models. It's a sensor that - after all - helped the 7D and 550D produce some of the best image quality in their respective classes. Looking at images from the 60D alongside its competition we are impressed to see that it holds its own very well against the recently announced (and soon to be reviewed) D7000"

The 60D looks like a super Rebel (but that's a good thing!)
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2010
    I'd much rather have a 50D... 3mp is hardly gonna make a difference... I'd rather have CFs, 6.5fps, metal body, etc. The only things the 60D has going for it are HD video and articulating screen (and 18mp).
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 14, 2010
    The 60D has a wider dynamic range at high ISOs (DXOMark.com). The articulated LCD is significant in situations which require a very high or very low camera angle. While the shooting rate is down from the 50D some early reports indicate the the shooting rate does not decrease at high ISO ratings like the 50D and 7D are sometimes known to do. (I would like to see some real testing of this however.)

I do wish that the 60D had selectable landscape and portrait AF points ala the 7D, and the lack of user defined micro-focus is potentially missed (although I suspect that feature might appear in a later firmware version.)

Calibrated ISO 6400 is also new and the auto-ISO feature set is enhanced versus the 50D.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    amatuerphotographer has completed their review of the Canon 60D (86%)& Nikon D7000 (85%).

"As the Canon EOS 60D is a blend of the EOS 550D and 7D, as well as including a few features of its own, I was keen to seen exactly how it performed. With an 18-million-pixel CMOS sensor and a street price that should soon drop below £1,000, the Canon EOS 60D has the potential to be the best enthusiast DSLR camera on the market today...

...very impressed with the Canon EOS 60D, not least by the new handling. It seems that having to move some of the buttons due to the vari-angle screen has given Canon the opportunity to revisit the handling of the camera. The results is a camera that almost blends the best bits of both high-end Canon and, dare I say it, Nikon DSLRs. By retaining the jog control wheel the camera feels unmistakably like a Canon, but the addition of the thumb control in the centre is similar to the control used on Nikon’s professional series. The EOS 60D is consequently a pleasure to use."

...seems like they liked it.

photographyblog reviews and rates the Canon 60D and the Nikon D7000 the same: "It's very hard to choose between the D7000 and its main rival, the Canon EOS 60D."