Photostacking Question

AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited August 28, 2010 in Holy Macro
I shot 50 shots this morning of relections of the flower. I don't think I've got the alignment right? How do you guys alighn the frames. You can't possibly shoot them in the exact same position even with a little tripod. Thats what I did this morning, with a 6 inch tripod, they are still not the same. When I try to stack a bunch of them, they come out messed up? I shoot the drop, then move up and down the blade to make sure I have all of it in focus in at least 1 frame. I have read the articals, but this is not covered?? Thanks in advance if anyone can explain.
RJ

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    MAJOR CAVEAT - I am not the expert here. Far from it as you'll see if you look at my posts, but what you said indicates to me you don't have the fundemental concept down. Number one rule: the only desired camera motion is toward or away from the subject. Don't "pan" or rotate. You want to end up with "slices" like a CAT scan. Have you looked in the Tips and Tutorials sticky? Have a look here at the stacking tute to get started.

You don't mention what kind of software you are trying to use to stack you images. That would be helpful.

Someone more eloquent and with more expertise will respond, but I thought I'd post my $.02 anyway.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    There are people here who know much more than I do, but I can offer a few basic pointers. #1 is icebear's: the only thing that should change is focus, not position. To stack a flower, focus on one end--for no particular reason, I always start at the nearest point--and then take multiple shots, moving the focus point back. You can do that either by moving the camera toward the flower (but not in any other direction) or by leaving the camera stationary and refocusing the lens. For truly static flower shots using a tripod, I do the latter. I just change the focus a minute amount and take another shot. It helps a bit if you use a remote release (you can get wired ones on eBay for less than $10, because then you won't accidentally move the camera when you push the shutter. You still have to be careful not to move it when you change focus and to move gently enough that you don't accidentally get the flower moving.
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I have tried the 32 frames this morning. No good. I am using CombineZM. I have a remote shutter, but haven't tried that. Could be me moveing the camera when I push the shutter button. I would think the program would allow for a little diff, and line them up. Heres just 2 frames that gives you the idea of how I'm shooting them. Focused top, focused middle and so on.

http://flo1.jpg

http://flo2.jpg
    edited August 26, 2010
    A bit of horizontal or vertical motion shouldn't hurt. The software will "auto align" before it starts stacking. I don't use CombineZM any more though. Based on what you show above, I don't know why you aren't getting acceptible results.

Wait for better help.
    John :
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 26, 2010
    hi , i have just tried stacking the 2 frames in zerene, the 2 drops are about an inch apart, there is no way a program can compensate for this.
    you need a lot more practise at holding camera steady to be able to align perfectly, the short working distance of mpe makes it easier to hold very steady. with a tripod it is probably still moving on the ground, it only takes a very small movement to mis align the images.

i have merged by hand in ps, then used noise ninja and sharpened.
    edited August 26, 2010
    Well,
    I can't get the image anywhere near as good as you did. I had over 30 shots of that drop, and I am sure that all of it was covered. I have Photoshop CS5 Extended, full version, but I just got it and have to learn it also. I will just have to keep practising, but lying on the ground is hard for an old man!!
    Thanks for showing me what it could look like Phil.
    RJ
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    I think dewdrop refractions are one of the subjects that are easier to stack by hand. You tend to get quite a lot of haloing with a stacking prog no matter how clever you are at holding the camera steady, These halos then require a lot of work to tidy up.
    An example of how I do hand stacking in PS here http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157624267681728/

Brian V.
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thanks for the tip Brian.
    I am still learning photoshop, and its alot to learn. I am going today to buy more RAM for my PC, the thing keeps freezing up! You can't do anything on this thing the way its performing.
    Photoshop must take alot of room?
    Ronnie
    edited August 27, 2010
    Ambrola wrote: »
    Photoshop must take alot of room?
    Ronnie

You said a mouthful!
    John :
    edited August 28, 2010
    I found that you can align and stack in Photoshop. Here are 2 pics of a refraction, and a third stacked and alighned in PS.

[URL="[IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq305/ambrola/DSC_0006.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC_0006.jpg[/URL]

[URL="[IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq305/ambrola/DSC_0001.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC_0001.jpg[/URL]

DSC_0007.jpg
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 28, 2010
    there are quite a few haloed drops where they cannot be aligned by the program, far easier to stack by hand on layers with a couple of frames. you can then mask off the out of align parts