Twirler

PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited August 27, 2010 in People
I do a lot of photography of my two son's high school band. This is one of my favorite captures of the expressions during the show.

C&C welcome, as always.
692703677_sR67X-M.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Sorry, but it doesn't work for me. You can't really see her face, nor what she's looking at, and she's not really doing anything. Is she twirling right now or is a helicopter with Lady Gaga landing nearby? Additionally, I don't like the way her baton has been cut down in the prime of life.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    While I wish the baton wasn't cut either, you can clearly see it's a baton and that she is a baton twirler and although you can't see her direct stare, I like the expression and the DOF with the band in the background.

If there was a do over, I'd like to see just a little more--but I do like the shot, it's a great candid capture.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I like the concept but the BG is just too busy even though it's OOF.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    I like the concept but the BG is just too busy even though it's OOF.

Maybe it's the street shooter in me, but I think the background is great.
    It lets the viewer know band/twirler in action as opposed to a controlled enviornment portrait shot.

Not trying to be contradictory, but I do really like this capture.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Actually this image has been posted before and another street shooter seemed to like it. So I'm going to guess how much you like this shot depends on whether you are a good photographer or a street shooter erm great photographer.mwink.gif
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thank You
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the framing should slide right and save the baton. Shooting quick during a performance and felt this wasn't a mortal sin. Don't agree on the "can't see her face" but I do appreciate the comment. She was looking up at a baton in the air and waiting to catch it. If I included the air baton she would have been too small and the expression is what I was going for. I probably lean more to a "street" and candid shooter and the occasional portrait, so I like the spontaneous capture and the busy background.

Don't think I posted this before, maybe someone had a similar shot? Now that you commented I will go back and check!

Thanks again for the feedback. The level of critique and constructive criticism on this site is what I enjoy the most. Helps us all to improve even when contradictory.thumb.gif

Update--you're right, I did post this with another band photo previously. Forgot about it. Pathetic on my part, only a couple photo posts and I have a duplicate. Time to post more current shots and pay attention. Honored that you remember it, even if it is not your favorite. Thanks again.