Back to Acadia/Downeast

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited August 28, 2010 in Landscapes
I've been back to Downeast Maine & Acadia twice in the last month (& going back up again this weekend to drive my parents back home to PA). I didn't have the luxury of focusing on photography since I was with the kids and working on their timetable ("sweet light" time periods don't exactly fit into their schedule) which included a 10 mile hike necessary for the Boy Scout hiking merit badge. Makes me really miss the DGrin Shootout. Most shots taken were between 10AM-4PM. I still love it up there. Thanks for looking.

Stephanie

#1 The Bubbles taken from Jordan Pond (played around with some HDR)

981286238_M9khh-L.jpg

#2 Western path of the Jordan Pond Shore Trail
981396863_KL33y-L.jpg

#3 Panoramic view from summit of Pemetic Mt

980216131_6xLoo-L.jpg

#4 View to the east from Boulder Beach

982639682_8xAH9-L.jpg

#5 Not landscape, but I liked this frog
980506504_SGXcq-L.jpg

#6 The obligatory, "trying to push over Bubble Rock" photo

981318866_inWTN-L.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Nice shots, Stephanie--I especially like #2 'cause I'm partial to trail shots! Does bring back nice memories of the Shootout!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Very good set Steph, and really nice to see some new shots of this wonderful place. clap.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    lol3.gif I've never seen that kind of photo of the rock but it's hilarious!
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    Nice shots, Stephanie--I especially like #2 'cause I'm partial to trail shots! Does bring back nice memories of the Shootout!

Lauren

Thanks Lauren - that trail was really neat and I had never been on that section before. The entire loop around the pond is 3.1 miles. This section of planks lasted about a mile, the rest of the trail was dirt and rocks. It was really pretty because you were only a few feet away from the pond the entire time on the trail. The first picture was also taken from this trail about a 1/4 north of where Marc & Dave gave their pointers on flash fill to the DGrin group. I definitely want to get back to that spot either earlier or later in the day.

Stephanie
    edited August 27, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very good set Steph, and really nice to see some new shots of this wonderful place. clap.gif

Thanks Dan - I saw in another thread that you were planning on coming back east for a puffin cruise next year. If you would like, let me know when - I get up to that area quite frequently but have yet to go on one of the puffin cruises (no one in my family is really interested and its more enjoyable to go with someone who appreciates it).

Stephanie
    edited August 27, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    lol3.gif I've never seen that kind of photo of the rock but it's hilarious!

Schmoo - I must have at least a dozen pictures of family & friends in this position. Some use their feet, others use their hands. The glacier left that rock there tens of thousands of years ago - I don't think its going anywhere.

Stephanie
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thanks Dan - I saw in another thread that you were planning on coming back east for a puffin cruise next year. If you would like, let me know when - I get up to that area quite frequently but have yet to go on one of the puffin cruises (no one in my family is really interested and its more enjoyable to go with someone who appreciates it).

Stephanie

Do you know of one that you would recommend Steph? What time of year is best?
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Like how the rocks are showing through the water in #1. Number 4 is interesting of the boulder field. And you always gotta love #6.
    edited August 27, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Do you know of one that you would recommend Steph? What time of year is best?

Two that I have been considering the last few years are Bold Coast Charter Company (www.boldcoast.com) which is out of Cutler, ME and Norton of Jonesport, ME (www.machiassealisland.com). Both of these companies have permits to land on the Machias Seal Island so you can get pretty close to the birds (weather permitting for the boat landings). They are both within an hour of my parents cabin, and also Schoodic Penninsula - the mainland part of Acadia. Both tours run about $100. Jonesport is closer to my parents cabin (by about 35 minutes) but I think it is a longer boat ride to the island. Both companies mention that seasickness can be a problem. The Bold Coast is also supposed to be a neat trail system to explore. I believe it is a 10 mile trail with shortcuts to make shorter loops, it goes right along the coast of Maine and is not supposed to be strenuous, just scenic.

Best time - I'm not really sure. Most tours run from late May to mid-August. Sometimes if you go too early the birds are not nesting yet. Plus it is very cold on the water from a comfort standpoint. If I had to guess I would say late June/early July. You also have to watch the bugs if you go in May/early June (not on the cruise - but if you want to hike anywhere). I was whitewater rafting in Maine this past May and the blackflies were killers at the campground and in the woods along the river. Some of the locals actually wear special netting to escape th flies.

Stephanie
    edited August 27, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Like how the rocks are showing through the water in #1. Number 4 is interesting of the boulder field. And you always gotta love #6.

Thanks Tom - I was kind of shocked about those rocks showing through on #1 since I didn't have a polarizer on my lens. I really want to get back to that spot with better light.

Stephanie
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    I look forward to hearing more about the puffin tours. Also looking forward to more of your trail shots, Stephanie--maybe I can work up to making that 3 mile trek next time!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Dan, this one's for you...
    I did promise to check this out for you and here it is. Sadly, although my husband was in the Canadian navy for 25 years, I don't "do" boats. I get violently seasick:cry

Nevertheless....
    http://www.seawatchtours.com/puffins

Enjoy!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited August 28, 2010
    Two that I have been considering the last few years are Bold Coast Charter Company (www.boldcoast.com) which is out of Cutler, ME and Norton of Jonesport, ME (www.machiassealisland.com). Both of these companies have permits to land on the Machias Seal Island so you can get pretty close to the birds (weather permitting for the boat landings). They are both within an hour of my parents cabin, and also Schoodic Penninsula - the mainland part of Acadia. Both tours run about $100. Jonesport is closer to my parents cabin (by about 35 minutes) but I think it is a longer boat ride to the island. Both companies mention that seasickness can be a problem. The Bold Coast is also supposed to be a neat trail system to explore. I believe it is a 10 mile trail with shortcuts to make shorter loops, it goes right along the coast of Maine and is not supposed to be strenuous, just scenic.

Best time - I'm not really sure. Most tours run from late May to mid-August. Sometimes if you go too early the birds are not nesting yet. Plus it is very cold on the water from a comfort standpoint. If I had to guess I would say late June/early July. You also have to watch the bugs if you go in May/early June (not on the cruise - but if you want to hike anywhere). I was whitewater rafting in Maine this past May and the blackflies were killers at the campground and in the woods along the river. Some of the locals actually wear special netting to escape th flies.

Stephanie

Thanks Steph. I really want to do this deal.gif