Options

Looking for my First "Real Camera" Advice

DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited June 17, 2011 in Cameras
Ok, I admit, Im a bit overwhelmed. Its hard to learn all of the lingo even with a lot of reading. Its hard to find the "sweet spot" as to what I should get that will be best for me. I dont want to make an expensive mistake. That being said Im not here asking without doing a fair amount of research so here is my pitch for help.

Im a 35 year old guy that is about to have my first baby (its a boy!) at the end of Nov. I want a new camera that will be a great overall performer. My pictures will be mostly of my new baby, I want to learn over time to take super nice portrait shots. I want to also take lots of outdoor photos of sports and nature. Video would be a nice feature as well but much less of a concern. The video while a great caveat doesnt need to be top notch, just passable would be fine. I lastly like to take close up macro shots of my hobby. These will be indoor shots with no flash hopefully. Im a NON PRO and dont have any aspirations of being PRO.

My budget to start would be about $700 ± for the camera.

My short list is

1 Nikon d5000
2 Canon EOS Rebel Ti

Im not married to either of these choices and would take advice on just about anything above or below these selections but Ive looked for a while now and I think Im on the right track :huh

What I need to know is if Im over reaching or under reaching. Am I silly to think I can take a close to portrait quality photo with either of these cameras? Should I buy a kit or just the body, both seem to come with a lens if you want to buy them that way, should I go with just the body or will one of these kit lenses be adequate to get my feet wet. Im also a bit curious about what other must have purchases I should look into.

Comments

• Options
    ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    First off, congrats on the boy! I just bought a nikon d5000. I, like you, am no pro but enjoy quality and I have no complaints about my camera. I ended up buying a body which came with two lenses from best buy. The price was right and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I don't know much about your other camera choice so I guess I 'll leave that to some pros to better sway your decision. There's my .02
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    The d5000 will get you pretty far. If you really get into photography it will be limiting to you eventually. At the serious amateur level, you will have to "squeeze" performance out of it and get to know it really really well to get the same keeper rate as say a D90 even though they share the same sensor. If you are going to do portraits and macro..you will need a flash period.

I started out the same as you...DSLR to get better pictures of my kids. now look at me. *hangs head*
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thanks ShutterStaci and Qarik. That sound a bit disapointing on the surface but in reality it probably isnt. I dont seem to have the eyes for this. I cant seem to tell the minute differences in these photo examples that everyone else does. I also have lots of hobbies and dont think I can afford another full time one so I doubt Ill get too serious. I just want a solid camera to capture my son growing up and family photos out and about. Im reading a couple books now in order to get a better understanding but it sounds like the d5000 might just be "good enough". I really need to refine my eye for determining a keeper vs. not a keeper. Any advice on that. Still wondering if the Canon or the Nikon is a better path though.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited August 27, 2010
    Almost any modern dSLR "can" produce "portrait quality", but your definition and my definition might be different.

I shot all of the following with a (now) 5-year-old, low end, Canon dRebel and a relatively inexpensive standard zoom lens:

962263171_H4w8q-O.jpg

912822732_rdkDH-O.jpg

577453135_oFxDv-O.jpg

143666541_gRvQT-O.jpg

96548387_jMEhp-O.jpg

They're not perfect but I think they are a major cut above the average snapshot. The difference is mostly careful composition and careful lighting. Appropriate lighting is the main thing that people starting out seem to not understand. (Careful processing was also done to each image.)

All of the above were also chosen because they used a single flash. In the case of the bride and groom it also has pretty strong window light that I was able to leverage into the image.

Whatever camera body you get is secondary to the lens choice and they are both behind getting a good flash and a suitable flash modifier.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Dirquist wrote: »
    Ok, I admit, Im a bit overwhelmed...

Like you I'm looking for the ideal intro camera and there a number out there that have been recommended: Canon T1i, Nikon D5000, Olympus E620, Pentax Kx and now there is the new highly acclaimed Sony A55.

Overwhelmed is an understatement. However, there is a way in (that I am looking into) and one that will ensure that the baby pics you so desire are not a failure. The superzoom camera.

Old hands beat on me if I am way off base but check out this review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/page19.asp

The Canon SX20 IS & Panasonic FZ35 come highly recommended and their dpreview ratings are close to a DSLR. These both cost less than $400!

Just a thought as I (and that's just me) would not want to miss out on baby pics because of rookie mistakes (that I know I will make). Also, the wife can use it too!

My 2c. :D
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    As Howzit says, there are a lot of good cameras out there. Personally I simplified my choice by choosing one brand - Canon - and then spent my time deciding which model and lens to buy. It could equally well have been Nikon but I had a friend who uses Canon and was helping me understand and offering to lend me Canon lenses. I know people who chose Nikon for the same reasons.

I did not want one of the other brands because I figured that the two market leaders have the biggest ranges of accessories and the most support when I want to ask questions - and they do.

I stared blind at tech specs but the choice became simple when I went to the store and played with the main contenders - how does it feel, how friendly are the controls, etc. Then I knew which I wanted - they all are capable of taking great pictures and they all shoot in automatic mode when you are nervous about messing up the shot.

With your budget you'll be looking for a kit, I suspect. The kit lenses are good value for money.

Enjoy choosing! Get some kit into your hands. You can't really go wrong.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    just passable would be fine. I lastly like to take close up macro shots of my hobby. These will be indoor shots with no flash hopefully. Im a NON PRO and dont have any aspirations of being PRO.

My short list is

1 Nikon d5000
    2 Canon EOS Rebel Ti

cameras? Should I buy a kit or just the body, both seem to come with a lens if you want to buy them that way, should I go with just the body or will one of these kit lenses be adequate to get my feet wet. Im also a bit curious about what other must have purchases I should look into.

Both would serve your purposes but I would go with the Canon T1i (500D) or the Canon T2i (550D) and the 18-55IS kit lens
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    Here is a kit that was recommended to me (if only I could find one to see how it feels):
    ziggy53 wrote:
    - Decent Camera - Olympus E600
    - Lens 1 (14mm - 42mm f3.5-5.6)
    - Lens 2 (ED 40 -150mm f4.0-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom)
    $450 - http://www.adorama.com/IOME600K1R.html
    - Lens 3 (Olympus Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 E-ED Digital (1:1) Macro Lens for the E Digital SLR System.)
    $190 - http://www.adorama.com/IOM3535.html
    - Flash (Olympus FL-36R Wireless Electronic Bounce & Swivel Head Flash, GN 36)
    $230 - http://www.adorama.com/IOMFL36R.html
    $870 (TOTAL)

An E-620 can be had for $30 more: http://www.adorama.com/IOME620KR.html (minus the extra lense)
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Instead of a full-blown DSLR, why not look at the new micro 4/3s cameras coming out. They seem like a great bang for your buck and perfect for someone in your position. Will allow you to try different things and learn about photography but still be a great point and shoot camera with excellent video capabilities. If you get more into it, then you can invest in a DSLR later. Quite frankly, you'll probably want to keep a smaller/lighter point and shoot camera even if you have a DSLR. We don't all carry our DSLRs around ALL of the time. :)
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    I also have lots of hobbies and dont think I can afford another full time one so I doubt Ill get too serious.

Hehehe... famous last words. rolleyes1.gif Trust us, it goes something like this:

WTD062010SUN.gif
    ...it sounds like the d5000 might just be "good enough". I really need to refine my eye for determining a keeper vs. not a keeper. Any advice on that. Still wondering if the Canon or the Nikon is a better path though.
    You're getting a lot of sound advice here. I'll just add a couple words. Yes, a D5000 would be "good enough." So would a lot of other cameras, including the T1i or T2i. As Ziggy (and others) point out, any modern DSLR is going to give you the capability for very nice pictures, whether with the kit lens or something fancier (and more expensive). My advice to you would be to go to a camera shop - a real one if possible, not a Best Buy - and give both cameras a try. Get whichever one feels best in your hands. The ergonomics of Canon vs. Nikon are a little different. Not so much that one doesn't adapt to what they use, but still different. Unless you have a friend who is invested in a brand and can/will lend you gear, just go with what feels most comfortable. Both lines have great stuff and I don't think one is necessarily "better" than the other.

Don't worry too much about flashes and filters and specialty lenses. Those will all come in due time if you decide this is something you want to pursue. A D5000 or T1i/T2i, with an 18-55 kit lens will get you started and a bunch of good photos. If you want, you can always upgrade in the future.

Oh, and about developing an eye for keepers vs. tossers? I would say that if you like the shot, it's a keeper. Don't worry about other people's opinions, unless they're paying you for the shoot!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    Wow, I dont know what to say to each and every one of you except THANK YOU! Richy, you really went the extra mile shopping for me. Ive been shopping at camera stores the last few weeks and have held a lot of cameras. Im just not fully trusting in what the shops tell me, they may be telling me good info but from my past experience in other things places like this are where you get the best most honest information. Yes, I set a budget at $700 but I understand how these things work, you always spend more and more and more as time passes. I just wanted to hold myself to a starting point so I dont go totally off the deep end and find out I want to go back a little or change my choice.

To those suggesting I dont go with a dslr I thank you for opening my eyes but I have wanted a good slr, now dslr since I was a little kid. Im gonna go that route regardless, I have a nice point and shoot already for running around with but now I want the big boy I can grow with.

I think the most important thing Ive learned here is that I need to keep studying photography and truly learn the methods to get the most out of the camera more then worring about the camera itself. As you folks know, there is so much to learn, it seems neverending. I hope to take it to a full blown hobby in the future and if I do Im sure I will eventually spend thousands and thousands of dollars and go through several camera bodys.

At this point I think Im gonna go the route Richy suggested. I cant thank you enough for going shopping for me, its a little over my budget but somehow I always knew that would happen, it always does lol. My dad has an older Nikon and he has a few lenses I could play with, but he lives a good 5 hours + from me so that isnt much of a factor though. Im just at ease knowing Im not gonna make a mistake, its all in the shooters hands and it seems it mostly depends on how much effort you want to put into learning and practicing.

Ive been reading a lot, now Im excited to try to put some of it to practice and see if I cant evolve into a good hobby level photographer like many of you here. So thanks again everyone, I think Im sold and expect to see me around these parts regularly. Im very excited about the prospects. Ill be referring to this thread and I take each and everyone of your advice to heart.

Ethan (Dirquist)
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    First off, congrats on the boy! I just bought a nikon d5000. I, like you, am no pro but enjoy quality and I have no complaints about my camera. I ended up buying a body which came with two lenses from best buy. The price was right and I couldn't be happier with my purchase...

Talking about Best Buy. Someone I know will only buy from them and gets the 4 year warranty. He went from a D40 to D300 to D700 all at Best-Buy and swears by them. I visited one in Des Moines to get a feel for some cameras and was surprised by the knowledgable person who assited me. The local camera shop only carries Nikon and Canon.

BTW, the Canon 50D felt just right and now I'm tempted to up my budget and look at the new 60D. :D

...yeah, it's all downhill from here! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    While I totally understand wanting a DSLR--and I'm not trying to talk you out of it--just know that the newer cameras I'm talking about give you the same kind of control and (in some cases) allow you to change lenses like with a DSLR. I always ask myself why I want a specific something before I get it. If the answer(s) make sense, then I get it, if not, well, I don't...usually anyway. eek7.gif

I just posted this on my blog about what to do to start learning photography once you get a DSLR. I also talk about choosing a camera. Nothing earth-shattering, and I think it's probably already been said but... Ok, shameless self-promotion I know.

Anyway, you're doing the right thing by asking BEFORE you buy. Can't tell you how many times people come to boards like this and say, "Just bought a DSLR! Got lots of questions!" Then they proceed to ask about the equipment they got and the specifics about it. They didn't do their research. Sometimes they've bought the wrong thing which is never a good situation.

Looking forward to seeing what you choose and the photos you shoot with it. :)
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    I think its fair to discount canon, they dont have anything in the same price range with the same features as the nikon or oly, whenever I have looked for people (excluding special offers) nikon have always been that bit cheaper and their cameras are every bit as good as canon (different but good). Having your dads lenses to borrow will help as well.
    Sorry, gotta disagree here. I find the exact opposite. Started on Nikon and, when I was looking to move towards the pro-type gear, Canon was, by far, less expensive (when comparing features) than Nikon. Doesn't mean Canon (or Nikon) is better. I think they're both awesome and there's some things I prefer which Nikon has but Canon, typically, runs cheaper than Nikon when comparing features.
  • Options
    furiousfartfuriousfart Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    The pentax k-x is a good camera. The image stabilization is built into the camera. The iso performance is good too. Also all k mount lenses will work. So you could buy a nice used manual lens and put it on the front.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    At this point I think Im gonna go the route Richy suggested.

One thing to remember about the products he selected... the 50mm f/1.8D will not autofocus on a D5000. It's a nice lens (I have it for my D90 and D300), but it requires the in-body focus motor, which only the D90 and higher bodies have. So if you want to practice your manual focus, go for it, just keep in mind that it's not AF on that body.

50mm on a crop sensor like the D5000/D90/D300 is also more like a short telephoto than a "standard" lens like it was on film. Nothing wrong with that, it can be a nice portrait lens, but IMO the field of view is a little narrow for a "walkaround" lens. A crop sensor needs a wider lens to be more like a normal/standard lens, which is why Nikon sells the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8. That's a very nice lens, and works great on the crop bodies. It's a little pricier at about $200, but it works very well (and will autofocus on the D5000).

It's not available yet, but the just announced D3100 seems like a really nice body, especially at the entry level. It's 14MP vs the D5k/D90/D300s 12MP, uses a CMOS sensor instead of the outdated CCD on the D3000, and all in all looks like a pretty nice starter body, in fact it very well will outperform the D5k and current higher bodies. It can be preordered with the 18-55 lens for $699 right now, but I don't know when it will ship, and of course there aren't any reviews or user experiences yet, since it's not quite available yet.
    Howzit wrote:
    Talking about Best Buy. Someone I know will only buy from them

I have nothing against BB. I buy a lot of stuff there. My advice about a real camera store vs. BB is simply that you are more likely to find someone really knowledgeable at a camera store. If you got someone really good, that's great, but just keep in mind that they don't specialize in cameras there, and the sales person could be selling washers one day and cameras the next. I don't think I've ever run into someone there who actually knew more than I did after I had done some research. YMMV. I have often done my research elsewhere (online) and then come back to BB to make the purchase, I just don't rely on them to know what they're talking about. When they do, that's a bonus.

I'll agree with GadgetRick about Canon... I did a bunch of research recently for my sister, and she went with the Canon T2i. I don't know that I could say one brand is consistently cheaper than the other other, but I certainly found them very comparable. That makes sense, since they're the two main players in the market, you'd expect them to have similar offerings. I admit I was biased towards Nikon when I started looking (and I really don't know why) but they both make fine products and produce great images, and at the end of the day, the image is what really matters.

Price/performance of the super-pro gear can be a discussion point if you want, but IMO it really doesn't matter much, as I will never be playing in that arena.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    To be fair that wasn't what I said :) I said effectively nikon go cheaper than canon in price. I shoot canon for about 80% of my paid work , I could happily switch to nikon overnight if somebody else wanted to pay for it.

I was looking for the cheapest relatively new body and it came down to a sony, a nikon and an oly.

Ah, sorry about that, misunderstood ya.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    Olympus E-620
    ...Looking back at my suggestion i think maybe the e620 might be the better bet refurbed from adorama, cheaper body with in body is. no video but the world is full of cheap hd camcorders now.

I don't know why, but I like this guy Gordon Laing: E-620 review from cameralabs.com: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_E-620/video_review.shtml

...I need to find one to check it out!
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    ........Adorama are keen on price normally .......Adorama do have great service and have treated me very well over the years.....

Thank you! Your feedback is very much aqppreciated.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I don't know if this will help or not, but I usually check out Ken Rockwell's website for camera reviews. http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I'm a Nikon user, so if it were me in your situation, I'd go with the Nikon D5000 and the 35mm f/1.8D. I have the 35mm, and I think it's a great lens for the price. It will autofocus on the D5000. Hope you find what you're looking for!
    Kristen
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    kris10jo wrote: »
    I don't know if this will help or not, but I usually check out Ken Rockwell's website for camera reviews. http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I'm a Nikon user, so if it were me in your situation, I'd go with the Nikon D5000 and the 35mm f/1.8D. I have the 35mm, and I think it's a great lens for the price. It will autofocus on the D5000. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Minor correction... it's the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G. "D" lenses will not focus on D5000 bodies. There is an AF 35mm f/2D, but that's an FX lens and will not focus on D5000 b/c it requires the motor in the camera body.

To the OP, only lenses with "AF-S" will autofocus on the D5000. Lenses simply called "AF" will not. Other manufacturers make compatible lenses as well, Sigma calls them HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), Tamron calls it BIM (Built In Motor), etc... Whatever lens and lens manufacturer you get, for autofocus, you need whatever their version of the "sonic wave" autofocus is. If you stick with Nikon lenses, just look for AF-S and you'll be golden.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Be careful with the Ken Rockwell site. He tends to review things he can earn money off quite well. There is a noticeable pattern there...
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Minor correction... it's the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G. "D" lenses will not focus on D5000 bodies. There is an AF 35mm f/2D, but that's an FX lens and will not focus on D5000 b/c it requires the motor in the camera body.

To the OP, only lenses with "AF-S" will autofocus on the D5000. Lenses simply called "AF" will not. Other manufacturers make compatible lenses as well, Sigma calls them HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), Tamron calls it BIM (Built In Motor), etc... Whatever lens and lens manufacturer you get, for autofocus, you need whatever their version of the "sonic wave" autofocus is. If you stick with Nikon lenses, just look for AF-S and you'll be golden.

Thank you for the correction; I misprinted! I have the AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1.8G, which did autofocus on my D60.

I don't have that much equipment, but when I have researched, I've found Ken's reviews to be helpful. I should have also noted that I do look at other sources now before making purchases, like BHPhoto.com user reviews. But you're right, it's hard to know for sure if the reviews are biased...

In the future, for other purchases, I do like the advice of rent before you buy.
    Kristen
  • Options
    pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I'm a little late to this party, but I'm going to second some earlier recommendations of looking at a Nikon D90. You can get a used one here at KEH for $719. Add a 50mm 1.8 or the 35mm 1.8 and you'll be set. Without an in-body AF motor, you won't be able to take full advantage of some of Nikon's older lenses (most notably the 50mm 1.8, which is a steal at $120).

I purchased a D90 about 2 years ago, when I was considering the D60. The D90 was much more comfortable in my hands and had a more intuitive button/dial layout, and that's what drove me to choose it over the D60 (despite the considerable price difference). Long story short, make sure you handle as many cameras as you can. In this digital age, so many of the cameras are very similar in specifications and will all take excellent photos. As anyone that takes thousands of pictures a year will tell you, photography is much more enjoyable when the camera is comfortable in your hands and you don't need to dive through menu after menu to change your main camera settings.

As a side-note, I purchased the 35mm 1.8 about 4 months ago before the birth of my second daughter and haven't taken it off since. As far as I'm concerned, that lens is an absolute gem (and totally underrated) on a DX format camera...

Oh, and congratulations!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Completely forgot to list this forum for great purchasing advice! Duh.. I was considering a 20mm lens a couple of months ago, and the information I got here was the most helpful. I bought it and love it!
    kris10jo wrote: »
    I should have also noted that I do look at other sources now before making purchases, like BHPhoto.com user reviews.
    QUOTE]
    Kristen
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    pickerbw wrote: »
    ...I purchased a D90 about 2 years ago, when I was considering the D60. The D90 was much more comfortable in my hands and had a more intuitive button/dial layout, and that's what drove me to choose it ...

I was completely sold on the D90's specs and this was going to be my first DSLR. That is until I tried the 550D/T2i and the 50D as a lark. For me both fitted better than the D90!? ne_nau.gif

Now I'm holding out for the 60D as this may be the one!

...I agree, try a bunch out and see which fits and feels the best. thumb.gif
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    As a dedicated Olympus shooter....... I'm NOT going to recommend anything from Olympus at this point. The future of 4/3 is up in the air for one thing (and the 620 doesn't do video). The newer m43 cameras aren't the best for catching action indoors in lower light. Ever the outsider, I'm going to recommend the Pentax KX. It's the king of low light at the low end and there's nothing really missing that would limit you as you grow as a photographer.

OTOH, there's nothing wrong with the Nikon and Canon options either. I'd say go to a bricks and mortar camera shop and have a play.....
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010

My dad has an older Nikon and he has a few lenses I could play with, but he lives a good 5 hours + from me so that isnt much of a factor though.

Ethan (Dirquist)

My thought is that if you decided to go Nikon make sure that it is a high enough model to have the in body focusing motor. Even if you are not with your Dad that often think of how frustrating it would be to NOT be able to experiment with those when you ARE there!

I went Canon way back in the 80's for a similar but slightly different reason when choosing a film camera. I wanted the automation that was coming out in the late 80's and the fact that I could get an adapter to use the M42 screw mount lenses that I already had was a real factor. I was fed up that they are manual focus only (I am NOT a fast human focus motor and missed action shots); but am still really glad that I can still use them at times even with the Canon DSLR that I bought later.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Ok, I admit, Im a bit overwhelmed. Its hard to learn all of the lingo even with a lot of reading. Its hard to find the "sweet spot" as to what I should get that will be best for me. I dont want to make an expensive mistake. That being said Im not here asking without doing a fair amount of research so here is my pitch for help.

Im a 35 year old guy that is about to have my first baby (its a boy!) at the end of Nov. I want a new camera that will be a great overall performer. My pictures will be mostly of my new baby, I want to learn over time to take super nice portrait shots. I want to also take lots of outdoor photos of sports and nature. Video would be a nice feature as well but much less of a concern. The video while a great caveat doesnt need to be top notch, just passable would be fine. I lastly like to take close up macro shots of my hobby. These will be indoor shots with no flash hopefully. Im a NON PRO and dont have any aspirations of being PRO.

My short list is

1 Nikon d5000
    2 Canon EOS Rebel Ti

Im not married to either of these choices and would take advice on just about anything above or below these selections but Ive looked for a while now and I think Im on the right track eek7.gif

What I need to know is if Im over reaching or under reaching. Am I silly to think I can take a close to portrait quality photo with either of these cameras? Should I buy a kit or just the body, both seem to come with a lens if you want to buy them that way, should I go with just the body or will one of these kit lenses be adequate to get my feet wet. Im also a bit curious about what other must have purchases I should look into.
    I think the analogy here is do you really need a Porsche or a BMW Z3 to drive to and from work? Especially if you never plan to drive aggressively?

I say save your money and invest in a good high-end point and shoot. Even older used ones have a tremendous amount of capability for less than the cost of a dslr lens. You didn't go out and buy a sports car as your first car, so why get such a high-performance camera? Grow into it and upgrade as you need to. You'll actually save money in the long run because you'll get only exactly what you need, and you'll know what you want. People don't buy minivans as their first car--they get them as they need them. I look at camera equipment the same way.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    However, the logic is sound both ways. I started with a fully manual film slr made in russia by and from rocks. It made a great underwater cameras as well lol. I can see the logic in starting with a cheaper camera as its unlikely that a mid or top of the range camera would be used to its full potential. I would say the exception is where you have a specific type of shooting, say motorsports \ sports where perhaps the best thing is to buy a used old pro level camera and dive in the deep end. It wouldnt be too stupid to suggest to someone wanting to shoot bike racing as a hobby to get a 1d2 as a first camera or even a 1d. There has to be a little balance in as much as the equipment shouldnt constrain the photographer and someone intended to learn very quickly might be better setting their sights a little higher.
    Putting money into glass is a good investment and todays entry level dslrs are pretty awesome compared to the original digital rebel.
    I would agree with you except for this one statement made by the OP:
    Dirquist wrote:
    Im a NON PRO and dont have any aspirations of being PRO.
    So why even look at semi-pro or pro equipment. That's like saying, I want a great performance car, but I'll never drive above 80. No need to even look at Ferraris...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!