Low light focusing screen for canon

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited August 30, 2010 in Cameras
I've been researching focusing screens for canon. I do a lot of low light shooting, and I just bought an old manual focus lens with a small fixed aperture. Even in fairly bright sunlight I have difficulty getting manual focus right with the generic screen.

As near as I can tell, there aren't any guided (like a split screen) focusing screens that work well in low light/small aperture situations- they all go dark in part in low light. Is this correct? Or am I missing an option?

For those of you who have gone with alternative focusing screens, which ones do you like and why?

Thanks!
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    You didn't say for which camera model but I can recommend against
    the Canon screens for MF low light shooting. I think you need a split screen
    focussing screen which are only offered by 3rd parties.

Canon makes a focussing screen that enhances the out of focus blur so
    one can better see which part of the frame will be sharp. The problem is
    that this screen also overall darkens the viewfinder - thats why I would
    not recommend it for low light shooting.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    You didn't say for which camera model but I can recommend against
    the Canon screens for MF low light shooting. I think you need a split screen
    focussing screen which are only offered by 3rd parties.

I didn't mention a specific camera because I was hoping for some general purpose advice, if people had good screen recommendations , I could look it up for different cameras. I have a canon XT, a 5D,and 1V.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    These guys sell split image focussing screens:http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=21_98
    Ziggy mentioned in another thread that a different screen can change the
    accuracy of the exposure meter. But I don't really have 1st hand experience,
    but maybe someone else can contribute to this thread?!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 29, 2010
    KatzEye is often mentioned as a third-party viewfinder screen manufacturer/supplier.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=49285
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 29, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    ... Ziggy mentioned in another thread that a different screen can change the
    accuracy of the exposure meter. But I don't really have 1st hand experience,
    but maybe someone else can contribute to this thread?!

Right. If you do use a third party viewfinder screen make sure to test the exposure before and after screen replacement in all exposure modes.

The exposure sensor is located in with the viewfinder optics, so changes to the viewfinder screen will almost always "affect" the metering somewhat. It doesn't kill the metering, but meter readings may require an "offset" in order to be accurate.

KatzEye is pretty helpful in describing what they detected for changes, but I recommend doing your own testing as well.

For some of their replacement screens the AF selection dot no longer appears. There are generally work-a-rounds but you should be aware.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    You can do what I did since your still shooting film, pick up a RF. I know it's a lot more money(depending on what you get) but they are a lot of fun.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I have a KatzEye split screen, with all the options, on my 40D. It is an excellent piece of gear, but useless in low light. Live view with magnification is the only practical way I know of.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix