Options

Cruising Alaska

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited October 14, 2010 in Journeys
Hi Y'all,

During the first week of this month Linda and I did an Alaskan cruise. I had always wanted to see Alaska and hoped to fly up there and then drive around. Mrs. B however prefers a higher comfort level, so in our family tradition we voted and Mrs. B won by a 1 to 1 majority. So a cruise it would be.

We flew into Seattle and hung out for a couple of days.

As we left the hotel I found the market area to be infested with LaRochekettes.

983905403_8hypu-XL.jpg

She was happy posing but got a tad surly when I asked her about Lyndon's mail fraud conviction. Fortunately the other folks we meet were much more amiable.

He once was on one of those "reality" TV dancing shows and made the finals.
983912911_c5EVH-XL.jpg

983908064_YrxkG-XL.jpg

He wasn't what I would call amiable but he had a big gun a big knife and some impressive tats so I let it slide.
983917457_Fmp3W-XL.jpg

983910255_QqzyL-XL.jpg

983910953_ksd3w-XL.jpg

983906506_hyHpz-XL.jpg

983911672_tZU3Z-XL.jpg

983916081_DBsVD-XL.jpg

983894581_YZMhP-XL.jpg

Seattle was fun but we had to start our cruise. I had been on one cruise before and hated it. I don't like knocking companies so I won't mention their name but it sure wasn't a carnival.

983892498_dPdNu-XL.jpg

983894745_6LZVm-XL.jpg

983891001_anut4-XL.jpg

983891723_tYsRC-XL.jpg

Our first stop was Ketchikan
983898216_ccWGY-XL.jpg

Some folks say they can see Russia from Alaska but we were lucky to see Alaska from Alaska.
983919506_u5CrJ-XL.jpg

All the cruise stops are the same as the towns had 57 jewelry shops, two bars and one Del Sol store.
983900573_DVQJL-XL.jpg

We hopped on these karts to drive up the mountain. This definitely wasn't the comfort Mrs. B preferred.
983901132_eKNsd-XL.jpg

Some nice views though
983901613_Ztxfr-XL.jpg

983904278_bHD8B-XL.jpg

983904190_b8JoN-XL.jpg

983902252_WkZtN-XL.jpg

Right after this capture the shutter on my D3 failed.:cry Fortunately the D300 was still in good shape.

Our next stop was the highlight of the trip, the Tracy Arm Fjord.
983919333_GeXrD-XL.jpg

It was early morning and the normally fairly loud cruisers were absolutely silent. It was like being in church.
983933419_E2xtg-XL.jpg

983928410_EDFXk-XL.jpg

983924256_eeWbW-XL.jpg

983930405_N4EQx-XL.jpg

983923230_WX2sC-XL.jpg

983937012_Xagmk-XL.jpg

983939369_GnDYR-XL.jpg

983941076_YgDPJ-XL.jpg

983942514_z8yVV-XL.jpg

983946397_xYyCy-XL.jpg

983950885_FhmRj-XL.jpg

983889240_t5UC4-XL.jpg

983957909_k7cAJ-XL.jpg

I'm still processing the rest of my captures and I will try to add them later on.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Nice set of images. You sure got a NICE suite on that there boat.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice set of images. You sure got a NICE suite on that there boat.

Sam

Thanks Sam. It was a very expensive suite but after my first cruise experience I've found that if you're gonna cruise go upscale because you spend more time in your cabin than you would in a hotel room on a land based trip.

Did I mention that we had a butler who served us high tea every afternoon. :D
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Beautiful captures. Can't wait to see more!
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Love the glacier and blue ice pic's. Just came back from Marc and Andy's Sitka, AK workshop. Looks like we had the same rain forest type weather you experienced. :D
    Did you get any bird pictures?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    Fred W wrote: »
    Love the glacier and blue ice pic's. Just came back from Marc and Andy's Sitka, AK workshop. Looks like we had the same rain forest type weather you experienced. :D
    Did you get any bird pictures?

Thanks and I wish I could had made the Sitka workshop.

I was more interested in landscapes on this trip so I wasn't actively looking for wildlife captures. I got some eagle captures later in some extremely low light from a swaying boat. I'm not expecting too much from those images. I really missed the D3's low light capabilities later in the trip.
    Harry
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Really enjoyed this series, beautiful location and photography!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Harry you should have taken the republican tour it was very clear you know the democratic one is very foggy on that tour you need the d3 eek7.gif
    Alaska is a great place I do not have to ask if you had a great time thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 29, 2010
    Harryb wrote:
    Some folks say they can see Russia from Alaska but we were lucky to see Alaska from Alaska.

You owe me a new keyboard....
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Great photos, Harry!

Hope you enjoyed this cruise more than your previous one.
    Sorry about your D3!

The weather has been about the same here the last week or so. rolleyes1.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    A great set of images. Alaska is truly a beautiful destination. My wife has always wanted to cruise to Alaska but the idea of cruising doesn't appeal to me. Needless to say she won't be seeing this set.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    Really enjoyed this series, beautiful location and photography!

Thanks Awais, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I do when I view your images.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    jwear wrote: »
    Harry you should have taken the republican tour it was very clear you know the democratic one is very foggy on that tour you need the d3 eek7.gif
    Alaska is a great place I do not have to ask if you had a great time thumb.gif

Thanks Jeff, I was considering the Republican tour but Linda objected to traveling in a conestoga wagon.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    You owe me a new keyboard....

A small price to pay, I'm just glad your monitor survived.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Great post Harry clap.gif

Thanks Dan.
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Harryb wrote: »
    Thanks and I wish I could had made the Sitka workshop.

I was more interested in landscapes on this trip so I wasn't actively looking for wildlife captures. I got some eagle captures later in some extremely low light from a swaying boat. I'm not expecting too much from those images. I really missed the D3's low light capabilities later in the trip.

Harry, I learned a heluva lot this trip up in Alaska - shooting from a moving boat (quite a bit smaller than your floating Old Folks Home!) requires a steady hand and fast glass! Of course, fast glass is heavy, thus compounding the problem.

I think the setup that works best for such shooting is a Nikon D3X and Nikon 200-400 VR lens. In fact, I think I'm gonna get this setup for shooting Africa in 2011 thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Harry, I learned a heluva lot this trip up in Alaska - shooting from a moving boat (quite a bit smaller than your floating Old Folks Home!) requires a steady hand and fast glass! Of course, fast glass is heavy, thus compounding the problem.

I think the setup that works best for such shooting is a Nikon D3X and Nikon 200-400 VR lens. In fact, I think I'm gonna get this setup for shooting Africa in 2011 thumb.gif

I wasn't shooting whales and eagles from a cruise ship but you're right about the fast glass.

If I was shooting landscapes at base ISO I would go with the 3X but for Africa I want better low light performance and a faster frame rate. If the creeps at Nikon haven't released the D4 by then I will probably go for the D3s.

I'm going to be renting out and testing a some glass from the folks at borrowedlenses.com before the trip, the 200-400 will be one of those lenses.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    I have to say, I was incredibly happy with the D3's low-light performance. If that carried over to the D3s, that'd be awesome.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    I have to say, I was incredibly happy with the D3's low-light performance. If that carried over to the D3s, that'd be awesome.

Its more than awesome. Here's a piece from Thom Hogan's D3s review:

"Nikon gave us an additional marked ISO value (12,800 versus the D3's 6400) plus an additional extended one (HI3 versus the D3's HI2). The implication in those numbers is that the D3s is one stop better than the D3 in noise handling and produces images that are in some way usable at two stops beyond what the D3 does. As incredible as those two statements seem, they are correct. In my use of the two cameras side by side, the D3s does indeed give you a pretty strong one-stop advantage over the D3."
    Harry
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Wow Harry
    Fantastic.
    I am so glad you and Linda enjoyed this trip
    xxxooo
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Great photos, Harry!

Hope you enjoyed this cruise more than your previous one.
    Sorry about your D3!

The weather has been about the same here the last week or so. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Glenn. The D# is in Nikonland getting repaired and should be back soon.

This cruise was so much better than the first. We had a "veranda" on the first cruise that was narrow you had to sit sideways and couldn't look towards the ocean. They served one of my chili rellenos on the first cruise. Have you ever tasted chili rellenos that are stuffed with tatter tots as opposed to cheese? :yikes
    Harry
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    A great set of images. Alaska is truly a beautiful destination. My wife has always wanted to cruise to Alaska but the idea of cruising doesn't appeal to me. Needless to say she won't be seeing this set.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I agree with you about cruising but every once in awhile I have to compromise to the non-shooting half of the family. I wish I had more control over the times I shot which of course is something you lose on a cruise.

Then again the butler serving us high tea in the afternoon wasn't too shabby.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Then again the butler serving us high tea in the afternoon wasn't too shabby.

I stayed at a place called Wilderness Lodge once. They served tea and the most delicious pastries in the afternoon--all day ski and a nice snack before a sumptuous supper. I got kind of used to that.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Gale wrote: »
    Wow Harry
    Fantastic.
    I am so glad you and Linda enjoyed this trip
    xxxooo

Thanks Gale we surely did. See ya soon.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    I stayed at a place called Wilderness Lodge once. They served tea and the most delicious pastries in the afternoon--all day ski and a nice snack before a sumptuous supper. I got kind of used to that.

I'v missed the butler since we returned. I asked Linda to take over for him but her response was not appropriate to be repeated here.
    Harry
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    They served one of my chili rellenos on the first cruise. Have you ever tasted chili rellenos that are stuffed with tatter tots as opposed to cheese? :yikes

That sounds hideous!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2010
    That sounds hideous!

You should have tasted it if you want to know from hideous.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2010
    After we went up the fjord it was on to Juneau

997305152_4793C-XL.jpg

they were waiting for us
    997310022_hNxE6-XL.jpg

we watched some whales
    997313390_vSzFC-XL.jpg

997313876_ohwjH-XL.jpg

997321498_5bQBH-XL.jpg

997321929_iCJKQ-XL.jpg

997322687_SqKCu-XL.jpg

997323741_gm27B-XL.jpg

some seals taking a nap
    997328442_TqZfF-XL.jpg

Hiked on a trail
    997333509_W2jQL-XL.jpg

997330971_CN7Zj-XL.jpg

If you go to Alaska remember that bears have the right of way. I wasn't planning on doing wildlife on the hike so I was using my 28-70.

997329659_DWC39-XL.jpg

We hiked to a glacier

997333290_nRfzZ-XL.jpg

on to Skagway
    997335680_ettt2-XL.jpg

997339019_ZABYT-XL.jpg

997339691_wJDvS-XL.jpg

we took a late afternoon boat on the river and I got to see a few eagles
    997341645_jPeMs-XL.jpg

997342660_zd4WG-XL.jpg

997343302_PdQj5-XL.jpg

997343797_ByrZr-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Hello Harry

What a fun post to read and view, for sure.
    Your humor is trumped only by your great imagery. After reading about Ian's loss, I carefully threw a see-through glad bag over my monitor and keyboard :)
    I look forward to getting to know you and your wife (majority vote) in Africa. Will you be cruising from Florida to Africa?
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2010
    Hello Harry

What a fun post to read and view, for sure.
    Your humor is trumped only by your great imagery. After reading about Ian's loss, I carefully threw a see-through glad bag over my monitor and keyboard :)
    I look forward to getting to know you and your wife (majority vote) in Africa. Will you be cruising from Florida to Africa?

Thanks Mark. I'm not really a cruise person so we will be flying to Africa. It will give me a few days in NYC where I can get some decent pastrami, revisit Peter Luger's, and chow down an some real pizza. Then we will do a couple of days in London before the final leg to Nairobi.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the workshop and the chance to meet you.
    Harry