Options

Frames on web?

kengladekenglade Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited August 31, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
This seemed like the most appropriate place to put this question so I'll give it a try.

I realize a lot of people (viewers here excluded) don't have a tremendous amount of imagination and can't visualize what an image would look like with a nice frame around it.

I'm curious if anyone here adds frames to their site for images they would like to sell and if it has been successful.

If so what software do you use?

I'm running Snow Leopard on an iMac and primarily use Capture NX2 for post. I also have PSE but I use it mainly for a connection to SEP.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    kenglade wrote: »
    This seemed like the most appropriate place to put this question so I'll give it a try.

I realize a lot of people (viewers here excluded) don't have a tremendous amount of imagination and can't visualize what an image would look like with a nice frame around it.

I'm curious if anyone here adds frames to their site for images they would like to sell and if it has been successful.

If so what software do you use?

I'm running Snow Leopard on an iMac and primarily use Capture NX2 for post. I also have PSE but I use it mainly for a connection to SEP.

Many thanks.

You mean something like what I use on my site? I just use CSS (background color/padding/border). thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    You mean something like what I use on my site? I just use CSS (background color/padding/border). thumb.gif

V-e-r-y nice site and use of imagination. Actually, I was thinking of actual frames (something like this: http://www.apparentsoft.com/imageframer/screenshots) for images in my "Buy" section, but I really like what you've done. Would you consider it plagarism is I picked up on your concept? You do it through CSS and not the individual image? May I ask how? I'm a retiree and a newbie so there is still a lot I don't grasp.

I'm also curious about which lenses you're using for your landscapes. They're beautiful.

Ken
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Thanks Ken! It's not plagiarism, it's common knowledge...at least those that know HTML/CSS...Laughing.gif!! Basically you have to create some CSS for your images:
    img, a img {
        background:#faeddc;    
        padding:4px;    
        border:2px solid #000;
    }

Using the 'img' property all images will have a border. Using the 'a img' includes all linked images. The background color is going to be the "mat" color. The padding is the size in pixels and the border is the frame in size (2 pixels); a solid border and the color of the frame (black - 000).

I use a different color for the hover effect:
    a:hover img{
        padding:3px;
        border:3px solid #bb4a23;
        }

Using CSS, I can now change one code and it updates ALL images at once.

Feel free to PM/e-mail me if you have questions/help.

I use a Canon 5D, 17-40 f/4L lens and also a 70-200 f/4L lens for most of my landscape shots. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Thanks Ken! It's not plagiarism, it's common knowledge...at least those that know HTML/CSS...Laughing.gif!! Basically you have to create some CSS for your images:
    img, a img {
        padding:4px;    
        border:2px solid #000;
    }

Using the 'img' property all images will have a border. Using the 'a img' includes all linked images. The background color is going to be the "mat" color. The padding is the size in pixels and the border is the frame in size (2 pixels); a solid border and the color of the frame (black - 000).

I use a different color for the hover effect:
    a:hover img{
        padding:3px;
        border:3px solid #bb4a23;
        }

Using CSS, I can now change one code and it updates ALL images at once.

Feel free to PM/e-mail me if you have questions/help.

I use a Canon 5D, 17-40 f/4L lens and also a 70-200 f/4L lens for most of my landscape shots. thumb.gif

Many thanks, Mike. Let me play with it and I'll yell if I get really confused.

Ken
  • Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Some picture framing Point of Sale(POS) software allow you to upload or use a current image and select your moulding, mats and/or filets and will show you the final product. Wizard International makes one version. Several others make java based versions for the web.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Ohiohiker wrote: »
    Some picture framing Point of Sale(POS) software allow you to upload or use a current image and select your moulding, mats and/or filets and will show you the final product. Wizard International makes one version. Several others make java based versions for the web.

Thanks, Chris, that's useful information. I don't want to get into the frames biz but I think it would enhance the possibility of selling an image if I could demonstrate how matting and framing helps the appearance. My Smugmug site offers some framing options for purchasing frames and mats with an image and that's an area I need to work on as well. I've also been experimenting with the capability of showing frames and mats with some sample images. The thought of linking to a company like Wizard has crossed my mind but that may be opening a door I don't want to go through.