What do you think?

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited August 31, 2005 in Finishing School
So after seeing one too many graphics and thinking to myself, "how in the world did they do that?" I decided to do a bit of research and see if I could create something that would make people say the same thing.

I realize this is a bit much, but it's just a first effort at trying to do some cool graphics. I may or may not use this on anything in the future. I am thinking about putting together some fancy cobranding on my site that would allow for stylesheet switching and this may become something that is a part of one of my stylesheets.

Anyhow, what do you think? Does it have that "wow" factor in your opinion? It's so difficult to judge something you've stared at for hours.
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So after seeing one too many graphics and thinking to myself, "how in the world did they do that?" I decided to do a bit of research and see if I could create something that would make people say the same thing.

I realize this is a bit much, but it's just a first effort at trying to do some cool graphics. I may or may not use this on anything in the future. I am thinking about putting together some fancy cobranding on my site that would allow for stylesheet switching and this may become something that is a part of one of my stylesheets.

Anyhow, what do you think? Does it have that "wow" factor in your opinion? It's so difficult to judge something you've stared at for hours.
    I think it looks great.

one thing I would do, is take a bit off the top and the bottom. I'm usually kind of picky when it comes to graphics like this, so just my two cents. Sorry if they are too much.

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I think it looks great.

one thing I would do, is take a bit off the top and the bottom. I'm usually kind of picky when it comes to graphics like this, so just my two cents. Sorry if they are too much.

Steven
    No you're comments are spot on. I should have mentioned that I wanted to give myself some options in case I wanted to use it later. Like maybe I would fade it to black or something on either the top or bottom.

Thanks for the input.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 29, 2005
    Couple of comments...
    I like the layout.. I like the colors you chose. I like the idea.

But the font reads a bit funny. I know what it says, but it comes out looking like phorography instead of photography. Also, the blurring is a little over the top.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited August 29, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I like the layout.. I like the colors you chose. I like the idea.

But the font reads a bit funny. I know what it says, but it comes out looking like phorography instead of photography. Also, the blurring is a little over the top.
    True, the font is crazy...

Which blurring is too much? The background blurring?

Thanks for the input.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 30, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Which blurring is too much? The background blurring?
    Yes.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited August 30, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yes.
    cool, thanks:D

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Mike,

looks good thumb.gif

If I had to guess, I'd say you found a tutorial by Colin Smith.
    edited August 31, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Mike,

looks good thumb.gif

If I had to guess, I'd say you found a tutorial by Colin Smith.
    HA! Now the problem is reworking the tutorial into something that I would actually want to do. Where is the tutorial on being creative? headscratch.gif

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Mike, your design looks kinda cool. But I also mean that literally: I have the same problem with it as I have with some electronic music. It sure is nifty, but I don't feel anything in my gut. ne_nau.gif I think that comes from your starting point: show a graphic that makes people wonder "How did he do that?". Other than "photoshop ingenuity", what is the message you're trying to get across? Go from there, and you'll see that with your talent, you'll come up with something that smashes people in the head (in a positive way of course).
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    HA! Now the problem is reworking the tutorial into something that I would actually want to do. Where is the tutorial on being creative? headscratch.gif

Try this, this, or this.. I have the first one, and think it's fantastic.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 31, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Mike, your design looks kinda cool. But I also mean that literally: I have the same problem with it as I have with some electronic music. It sure is nifty, but I don't feel anything in my gut. ne_nau.gif I think that comes from your starting point: show a graphic that makes people wonder "How did he do that?". Other than "photoshop ingenuity", what is the message you're trying to get across? Go from there, and you'll see that with your talent, you'll come up with something that smashes people in the head (in a positive way of course).
    I hear ya! I gotta learn what I'm doing first though :uhoh

edited August 31, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Try this, this, or this.. I have the first one, and think it's fantastic.
    I've had the first one since 1997 and I've been keeping my eye out for the second one. I didn't know about the 3rd one though. Thanks!