Early Morning Light At Flagler Beach Florida

jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited August 30, 2010 in Landscapes
2 shots from a recent trip up to Flagler Beach Florida, one of my favorite spots in Florida to photograph :D your comments are much appreciated

4916475890_4ed9e56fb3_b.jpg
8-22-10 by jaharris1001, on Flickr

4915874111_ba57fcf1e2_b.jpg
8-22-10 by jaharris1001, on Flickr
"I'm growing older,, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet

Comments

• Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    I like both of these images. I like the color, the light, especially how it is reflected in the water and your choice of shutter speed allowing us to see some motion.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Two minor distractions for me, your composition on both images puts your horizon at damn near center. Some times that works most times not quite, I am guilty of the same thing. With these two images you have the opportunity for four different compositions.<o:p></o:p>
    The other thing is in the second image the rock on the right is cut off, and I feel like I am missing out on part of the scene.<o:p></o:p>
    I like them both and particularly the first. With some minor adjustments, I see this seascape printed large on canvas.<o:p></o:p>

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    thanks so much for the comment Phil,, I agree about the horizon, typically thats certainly a NO NO and I usually try very hard to NOT do that, I agree 100%, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, it just happened that both of these turned out that way,, lol,,, I certainly appreciate the comment !!
    Jimmy Buffet
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    This is gorgeous! Not really at all what I'd expect from Florida beaches. thumb.gif I understand the sentiment about the 50/50 comp but it's so hard to decide if the clouds or the rocks are nicer. They're both great.

If I had to nit, I'd like to see the highlights in the soft water a little brighter, and a little more detail in the distant rock shadows. But really, nice job!
    edited August 30, 2010
    thanks so much for the comment schmoo,, I agree with the composition in these, I didnt want more OR less foreground so it just happened that way, thanks for the tip on the highlights !!
    Jimmy Buffet
  • TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    nothing technical to add other than what's already been said. I'm not a big beach person, but the shots make me want to be there. thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Great water and colors! The 50-50 comp doesn't bother me at all in the first one, but with the vertical orientation it is less appealing, IMO. To me, the sand in the shot is much more interesting than the sky, so I think you could try cropping some of the sky in the vertical one and still have a nice image. I don't think I'd touch the first one!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 30, 2010
    thanks so much Lauren and Tracker for commenting !!
    Jimmy Buffet