maintenance for nikons?

mrfizzedmrfizzed Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited August 29, 2010 in Cameras
can anyone tell me how often i should have my d300 and d90 "serviced" and by whom? Is there a general "maintenance" that i can get done by nikon themselves for example? i feel ike my af sensors are not behaving normally (slower than they once were) and i sometimes get a blinking battery icon in my viewfinder but it goes away after a few seconds. my bodies both have about 15-20,000 actuations. if there is such a thing as a 'tuneup' for example how much is it?

Comments

• bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    I would, but your signature is blinding me and I can't see to type :D

Here is a nice article on cleaning your senor...

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    I don't know if your are aware of the firmware upgrades for your D300 camera. The first D300 production models had an issue with the battery indicating low or in some state of discharged, maybe blinking...can't remember what mine did, even if it was just fully charged. This issue was quickly taken care of with a firmware upgrade.

If you have done your firmware up grades and are using 1.10 for both A and B, then you should not be experiencing the problem that I have discussed.

If you have the SB900...there is a firmware upgrade for it also.

You should upgrade both camera's firmware to the latest version to ensure that your cameras are functioning as well as possible.

As far as having your cameras serviced...never, unless you are having a problem with them. 15-20K clicks is a relatively small amount of actuations for your cameras.

Describe what a "slow sensor" means...technically, I've never heard of any problem described that way.

Hope this helps.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Typically it's a good idea to send it to Nikon once a year to get AF, white balance etc calibrated.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Typically it's a good idea to send it to Nikon once a year to get AF, white balance etc calibrated.

It may just be me...so, please post the reference for your comments about once a year calibration. (Like where you read this...or in what service manual makes reference to your suggestion.) I've never heard of this recommendation...or ever heard of anyone speak about it. Strange that it's never come up until now.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    I've heard of having the AF recalibrated and I'm thinking my D300 needs some attention in that department as well. I'm going to send mine into Nikon tomorrow to see what they can do about it.