Ended up laying on the ground to get this shot!:wink

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    C&C Appreciated!

D700 w Nikon 35 f2D@ f8 1/30th ISO 800

Ended up laying on the ground to get this shot!mwink.gif

Ben,
    I like the idea, but the execution lacks on the technical side. The primary subject is so small it's hard to find him. I love the bold BW conversion but it makes the matter worse, since now the only thing we can rely on is a shape, contrast and size. Having your subject wearing dark doesn't help either...
    Laying on the ground did help a little, but it couldn't save the image. ne_nau.gif
    Also, I really don't like the building roofs. They kinda spoils the solitude of the otherwise rustic scene. I understand that "they were there", but the image is really not about them (I would retract this sentiment if it was the roof of Louvre or, even better, D'Orsay:-)

This image could have been easily improved by you moving a few feet to your right and closer to the subject AND using a wider angle.
    This would
    1) make the subject much bigger
    2) keep the "framing" branch in the frame
    3) eliminate the roofs
    HTH
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Thanks for the detailed comments. I will try to remember them in the future. I definately agree about the roofs but oh well. I would have shot a bit longer and done some different things, but suddenly my wife showed up so it was time to go! :)
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    My version of "The Thinker"...I took this several years ago when I knew absolutely nothing about photography (not that I know much more now). This is my daughter on the Georgia Tech campus, we are on our way to the football game and some of the students had adorned a statue of a former Dean with a GT "rat cap" (a GT tradition for freshmen). My daughter copied the pose of the statue, wish I had done a better job with the lighting. But it is fun shot of my daughter.
    111268612_mrhMt-L-1.jpg