EXIF removal

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited August 30, 2005 in Finishing School
How do I remove the EXIF info from shots? I have a CD to burn and I don't want the EXIF info there for the person to nab it (long story).

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 30, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    How do I remove the EXIF info from shots? I have a CD to burn and I don't want the EXIF info there for the person to nab it (long story).
    If you are a Photoshop user, the Save For Web option automatically deletes the EXIF data. You can easily set up an action and run it over all the files in a folder as a batch process.

If you are not a Photoshop user, there is a very nice, free program called Jhead, written by Matthias Wandel. It is a command-line utility that runs on DOS, Linux, OS-X and several Unix flavors. Jhead lets you read, edit and delete EXIF data in any jpg file. You can get it here. It is slightly geeky. If you run it to problems with it, PM me and I will try to help.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 30, 2005
    Richard is giving you good information.

Additionally, you can save the files to another format that doesn't preserve the EXIF, I think BMP and PCX are good for this, and then back to JPG for transport/distribution.

IrfanView (freeware) can automate the process, as can other software.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Doesn't Save for Web save with a lower quality?

ziggy53 wrote:
    Richard is giving you good information.

Additionally, you can save the files to another format that doesn't preserve the EXIF, I think BMP and PCX are good for this, and then back to JPG for transport/distribution.

IrfanView (freeware) can automate the process, as can other software.

ziggy53
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 30, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Doesn't Save for Web save with a lower quality?
    You can set the jpg quality to whatever you want. :):