Lightning Over The Bay

jttphotojttphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited August 31, 2010 in Landscapes
These are from my first attempt at lightning photography during a mid-summer storm. I'm always open to suggestions to improving composition and technique (my wife is a graphic artist and always critiquing my photos so nothing will hurt my feelings).

993635629_TFuxN-L.jpg

993635857_yGRpy-L.jpg

987342018_np65v-M.jpg

987342587_CFw8o-M.jpg

Comments

• 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Nice shots. What do you use for a trigger, or is it held open until you get a strike? I don't know the first thing about capturing lightening.
  • jttphotojttphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    For these I was playing around with the f stop and shutter speed. The first one was f20 at 3 seconds. The last one was f13 at 10 seconds. I had to adjust as the storm moved farther away from me. These were all handheld, just using my car door as a stabilizer, because I left my house without my tripod. Lately I've been playing around with mounting my camera on a tripod on Bulb/f8 with a remote shutter release. The thunderstorms since this one haven't been as cooperative though with the lightning so the jury's still out on whether that works better for me or not.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    That third shot is simply awesome! Love the details in the sky and clouds. Well done.
    E
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Very cool!! I can't really pick a favorite - I like all of them. Thanks for the camera settings.

Stephanie