Wings over Camarillo Airshow

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited September 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I actually don't like shooting airshows in some sense b/c shot of a plane with a plain blue background really bores me. I like dramatic background/clouds to make the picture interesting but that's a rare thing. So I'm messing around with different processing to break up the plane blue background thing.

Camarillo is a small city airport just north of Los Angeles and it's known for having lots of warbirds flying in formation. It was really cool to see it.

1. F18
988341128_aTWSp-L.jpg

2. Have to throw in some flare.
983051351_kFPxS-L.jpg

3. DC3
983058576_FYddv-M.jpg

4. P 38
983060570_8nGqr-L.jpg

5. aerobatics.
983032256_ciHq8-L.jpg

6. A helicopter that can do a loop, it was amazing.
983037812_9qL6i-M.jpg

7. blue sky, blue plane, so I went for a cyan tone.
983042541_bKXwF-L.jpg

8. Whistling Death
983023857_BCeLi-M.jpg
9. Nicely polished P51 Mustang. Soooooo Shiny
983064154_M6KYi-M.jpg

Entire gallery

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Ok, a lot of airshow pictures are sorta cool, as I'm into aviation. But planes in flight photos don't really do it for me. ON the ground, a lot of shots are basically snap shots. Nothing shows me that the photog spent more than a few minutes infront of the plane.

You on the other hand have some really nice shots. I like #1 and 3 a lot. 4 is also really cool. I think your post processing really makes the shot in #1, because, lets be honest, we've all seen the nose on shot of a fighter jet before. So really good job there.
    #3 is pretty sweet with the shallow DOF. You could almost say nothing is in focus, but yet, there is something in focus, and you can still immediately tell what plane it is and for me, I immediately get this feeling of adventure like this image is from some sort of TWA advertisement to take me someplace awesome. Great job.

#4 is also good. Again I can immediately tell the plane. I'm not sure if you did some sort of selective desaturation but its pretty cool. Its not my favorite shot but still I like it.

Your other shots are also pretty good, though I don't have time right now (at work haha) to look at your other gallery. I really like what you've done withyour PP.

I like the question mark blue plane.

My only nit pick would be the mustang,a nd that's because the canopy is blocked.

Really nice series!
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes planes but finds a plane is blank blue sky boring.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    #7 - Lomcevak? nice shot of the Corsair... would like to see a tighter crop...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I really like the vignetting in all your shots, I think it works well with the vintage planes. I really like #'s 3 and 4 - 3 I wish the cowl was in focus rather than just the very tip of the prop. 4 is neat. 8 and 9 I think are classic, although I have to agree with the nit about the cockpit for 9.
    Thanks for all the good points folks.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Really cool. Like above, most airshow shots are pretty boring. I like these alot.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Some nice grabs. :D
    Michael
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Thanks folks.
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Awesome photos, I like # 1 the best. I too like taking photos of jets and vintage airplanes. Static displays are a challenge with completing with thousands of people trying to look at the plane the same you are trying to take a picture.
  • NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    There always seems to be some great planes at that airport. Like they said, your angles are fantastic!