stone door

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited August 31, 2010 in Landscapes
Here is a mid-day view of The Stone Door in Savage Gulf. Originally didn't care all that much for it but have had interest in the image and sold a framed print specifically requesting this image, this of which surprised me. Thoughts of what is so aesthetically appealing here? I like it and all but am not thrilled over it. Not one I would intentlionally matte, frame and put in with the other work I have in local galleries. Horizon is at mid point in frame, light is harsh, only thing I particularly care for are the clouds and blue sky. The feature cliff (known as the stone door) is quite popular in the area.

988107126_j5FNE-XL.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    I cant' help but kind of chuckle as I read your text. You don't sound thrilled with this but obviously people do. Congrats on the sale!

It's a nice view, though I personally agree that the light is too harsh. What I like most about it are the different shades of green in the valley trees, and the shadow of the clouds. But I definitely understand the feeling of suspension and freedom looking out over that cliff.
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    The feature cliff (known as the stone door) is quite popular in the area.

I think your statement right there is the reason. I would bet the reason for the purchase was because of an emotional connection the buyer has to the spot. From the angle of the shot, if I had stood in that area the shot would definitely put me back there.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Thanks to both of you for the reply.

Schmoo, sometimes I sell what I am surprised to sell and other times I do not sell what I believe is a far better technically and emotionally appealing shot. Sometimes I am baffled.

Phillip, that is what I presumed as well but the lady asked me where the place was ne_nau.gif

Anyhow, a sale is a sale and I am thrilled with that.
  • JadynHJadynH Banned Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Thoughts of what is so aesthetically appealing here?

How about the tree that looks knocked down?

Hmmm... I think the view is amazing, but I mostly like the sky.