Just a ghost of my former self

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited September 13, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
988332147_ktF3Q-L.jpg

This was actually a mistake. I was using aperture priority with a flash and didn't realize how long the exposure was so I got up and walked out of the frame during the exposure, leaving just my ghost behind.

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    A little hard to see the ghost effect you talk about on account of the size of the ghost. Funny, I missed the fact there wasn't much of a body to go with the head!

Not sure that the photo does it for me. I find the tent attracts my attention but nothing really holds it there. How big is your backpack though?

The fire is a bit blown out I think and you are a bit far away.

Gotta ask you though, what is this? The base camp kitchen? Do you set up all of this every night? Are you alone? I usually carry a lot less stuff when I go camping, as I carry it all on my back. Looks like you have everything. :)
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    A little hard to see the ghost effect you talk about on account of the size of the ghost. Funny, I missed the fact there wasn't much of a body to go with the head!

Not sure that the photo does it for me. I find the tent attracts my attention but nothing really holds it there. How big is your backpack though?

The fire is a bit blown out I think and you are a bit far away.

Gotta ask you though, what is this? The base camp kitchen? Do you set up all of this every night? Are you alone? I usually carry a lot less stuff when I go camping, as I carry it all on my back. Looks like you have everything. :)

HA! rolleyes1.gif I completely agree with you on the photo. It would normally have ended up in the bit bucket but I thought the ghost image piece of it was funny enough to keep it around.

I have done a lot backpacking over the years but now I take my home with me, including the kitchen sink.:D

The camp set up is called a clam shell camping trailer. They are made in Australia by Kimberley Kampers. www.kimberlykampers.com

The imported ones in the US are called King Kampers and they are designed for off road use towed by 4X4s in the back country.

Here's a thread with all the details on my set up if your interested.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20712

I do go camping a lot. If friends or family are available we go together, if not, I go with just my dog Roxy.

815708337_8Ri98-XL.jpg

766070641_PRExf-L.jpg
    edited September 9, 2010
    Wow, I can't say that I'll ever be seen owning a rig like that (about the closest to your rig I want to get is a canoe trip down some river!) but that is quite a rig. You seem ready to lead a safari group into the bush with that outfit.

Thanks for the extra info.
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    kitchen sink? I'd say you brought the whole restaurant! I love it! I actually like the picture - I keep looking at the trailer setup and noticing new things... and scheming about how to build a smaller version for my station wagon... I like the rig in context shots, it kind of shows the action of getting out there, rather than just the gorgeous vistas and dazzling sights you get while enjoying the great outdoors.
    red_zone wrote: »
    kitchen sink? I'd say you brought the whole restaurant! I love it! I actually like the picture - I keep looking at the trailer setup and noticing new things... and scheming about how to build a smaller version for my station wagon... I like the rig in context shots, it kind of shows the action of getting out there, rather than just the gorgeous vistas and dazzling sights you get while enjoying the great outdoors.

Thanks. Yep, the four wheeling and camping came first. That experience and the amazing back country I get to play in is what motivated me to get into photography as a hobby. Great combo.wings.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Very neat way to get out there and enjoy the landscape. :D
    Grab some telling shots. Just like the ones shared here.
    Looks awesome out there where your going. thumb.gif
    Michael
    edited September 12, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Very neat way to get out there and enjoy the landscape. :D
    Grab some telling shots. Just like the ones shared here.
    Looks awesome out there where your going. thumb.gif

Thanks. Heading out again next weekend. I'll see what I can capture. :D
    edited September 13, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Thanks. Heading out again next weekend. I'll see what I can capture. :D

Just remember that bears will take one hell of a cage to contain.mwink.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    '... and his ghost may be heard as you pass by that bilabong, "You'll come a-walzing matilda with me!"...'

In this case, perhaps "King Kamper", rather than bilabong!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    NeilL wrote: »
    '... and his ghost may be heard as you pass by that bilabong, "You'll come a-walzing matilda with me!"...'

In this case, perhaps "King Kamper", rather than bilabong!mwink.gif

Neil

rolleyes1.gifroflwings.gif