Options

How was this shot made?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited September 6, 2010 in Technique
This is on ptgui's website, so it must be a stitch. Was it made with like three shots with a fisheye stiched? One straight ahead, one pointed up, and one backwards?

http://www.ptgui.com/gallery/san_francisco_usa_panorama.html

We have a really big wall (120" square) and a place for a shot like this if we can get it high res enough... I wonder if it could be done with like a 24mm lens and more shots?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,893 moderator
    edited August 30, 2010
    It looks like you are referring to the SF panorama by Frank Nocke? (The link just takes me to the entire gallery, in Chrome anyway.)

Here is Frank's website:

http://www.frank-nocke.com/

... and e-mail:

franknocke@gmail.com

Maybe send him an inquiry?

To more directly answer your question there are several different methods that could be employed to produce a similar spherical projection onto a square image, if that is your intent.

You could use a rectilinear corrected lens and acquire many images in a spherical pattern and then use panoramic stitching software to create the spherical projection. I suspect that would give you the best possible resolution, dependent upon the number of starting images and their total combined resolution, but that makes the dynamics of a living city street a problem.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Okay, I think this link works much better:

http://www.ptgui.com/gallery/san_francisco_usa_panorama.html

But in case not, here's an image, linked to Frank Nocke's site.

20100831-gyds655nm3cnf21n6rk1jm11um.jpg

I really want to take a shot like that for a 120"x120" print, but need lots of pixels.
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    I dont know, but that makes me dizzy looking at it, I could only imagine walking down a hall with that print covering the whole wall rolleyes1.gif
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    I've emailed him, but here's my best guess for how he did it. I tried to re-create it with my fisheye last night of the inside of my house.

I think he pointed the camera horizontally with a fisheye lens. Then he tilted it up about 30 degrees. Click. Then another 30 and another until the camera was vertical. Then he kept going until it was upside down pointing backwards, 180 degrees from the start. And stitched them together.

So then the question is, how to you make it several rows wide so you have enough resolution to print a 120" print? Do you move the camera down the street 50 feet between each sequence?

If you rotate the camera to the left 30 degrees, then when the camera is pointing straight up, the arcs cross and you get a point of low resolution, no?
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    My guess is that what matters is the projection you use when stitching. Assuming the software can handle the transformation you should be able shoot with a rectilinear lens of any focal length.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    LiquidAir wrote: »
    My guess is that what matters is the projection you use when stitching. Assuming the software can handle the transformation you should be able shoot with a rectilinear lens of any focal length.
    Well, doesn't the (perceptually) narrow gap of sky between skyscrapers get wider as the lens gets longer? So if I used a 24mm, since it's longer, doesn't that mean the base of the buildings appears smaller relative to the tops, and the percent of pixels taken by sky grow larger? I kinda like the perception that the sky is all closed off by buildings.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Baldy wrote: »
    Well, doesn't the (perceptually) narrow gap of sky between skyscrapers get wider as the lens gets longer? So if I used a 24mm, since it's longer, doesn't that mean the base of the buildings appears smaller relative to the tops, and the percent of pixels taken by sky grow larger? I kinda like the perception that the sky is all closed off by buildings.

I think if you create a spherical panorama, the pano tools will keep all parts of the frame relatively the same size and you will get what you want. At least that's where I'd start...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited August 31, 2010
    If you rotate the camera to the left 30 degrees, then when the camera is pointing straight up, the arcs cross and you get a point of low resolution, no?

Wouldn't you also need to consider a different focal length lens--but then what happens to the effect of the fish?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010

No, the only thing that would affect how many degrees across the sky is or your perspective of the base of the buildings is actually moving the camera. No lens will change your perspective (even tilt shift lenses are only cheating the perspective, same as using the perspective tool in photoshop)

I shoot a lot of fully spherical HDR images for use in film vfx, Normally we use an 8mm, with the camera level, shoot 4 bracketed sets (north east south west) tilt the camera up 45 degrees, shoot 4 again, then tilt down 45degrees, shoot 4 more then move the tripod aside and try and capture one set looking straight down where the tripod was.

That said I have shot full 360's with a 50mm lens and the ONLY difference is a massive increase in resolution and processing time!
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    You might want to look up some of the "little planet" tutorials that are out there. (pt gui even has a projection mode for it now)

See my images below, It's the same projection as the image above, but instead of mapping the ground to the centre and the sky to the outside, it's the other way around.

150657712_7Htgr-L-4.jpg

150934499_LudKa-L-4.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you also need to consider a different focal length lens--but then what happens to the effect of the fish?
    Yeah, I kinda like the way the buildings bend in this shot, making you dizzy.

I really want to shoot this myself and I tell you why: people love Easter eggs in the photo. They love to look for SmugMug's version of Waldo in the shots we have at work. And I'd love to stage it so friends and eye candy are in the photo, like exotic cars and motorcycles instead of random boredom.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    It doesn't make a difference to the final product if you use a fisheye or a rectilinear lens for shooting a panorama. Calculating the lens distortion and compensating for it is part of the stitching process.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Yeah, I kinda like the way the buildings bend in this shot, making you dizzy.

I really want to shoot this myself and I tell you why: people love Easter eggs in the photo. They love to look for SmugMug's version of Waldo in the shots we have at work. And I'd love to stage it so friends and eye candy are in the photo, like exotic cars and motorcycles instead of random boredom.
    But not Ian, let's use some uh, more attractive models lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    But not Ian, let's use some uh, more attractive models lol3.gif

I say get the boys. Jedi, Riley and the crew.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited August 31, 2010
    So if I see this right, you've got a screenshot from a massive immersive panorama, zoomed in to a perspective you like. The real borders of this shot are probably farther out still. Is this correct?

Years ago I made shots like that from extremely wide angle views (could also do it from a stitch) run manually through Helmut Dersch's PTTools .8bf plugins (before PTGui came out). One could either make the island effect seen above in jogle's post, or reverse the polar points to create about what Baldy posted at the top. Now if I could only find that tutorial... Hmmmm.

EDIT
    Observation: The image looks like an equiretangular projection (twice as wide as it is high) made from several stitched images shot on a spherical tripod head. It has been through a PTTools remapping filter, or been created from the filter. philohome.com has some ancient tutorials on this, but there's a better site which has the world island effect tutorial, and its reverse, that I'm still trying to locate. There is also an old Photoshop tutorial (using no plugins at all) to make the same type of image. I van picture the tute's in my head but darned if I can find them yet.

EDIT#2
    ahaaa - here's one
    http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/circular.jsp
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    I did a real quick stitch of the latest pano I shot in San Fran a couple of weeks back.... It's not a full 360 so I had to paint in a chunk of the sky and warp the corners out, but you get the idea.

990364092_GUyfw-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    vs

990463449_TSbv7-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    holy crap the last one looks fantastic!!!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    The mini-planet, regardless of technique, is not the same--it's cool for sure but like Baldy says, the way the buildings bend is what makes this shot cool.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    jogle wrote: »
    vs

990463449_TSbv7-L.jpg
    Awesome shot!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    Hey, I heard from Frank and here's an excerpt from his email:

The resolution is definetly high enough for a print,
    in fact I already did, see http://www.nocke.de/Shop/Kunden.php
    somewhere above 8000x8000px.

It is a multi-row stitch in PTGUI, yes. 3 rows, I recall. And done around 3 years ago, when automatic markers where still a lot worse than today... I had to export it as Photoshop layers and do a hell
    of manual tweaking, 2 evenings, full-time. In particular in the highest row close to the pole of the projection sphere (in the middle of the picture). Not sure which projection I took, but I could look it up in the project. It might be a plain vanilla spherical.

Fascinating! I told him I'd buy a copy.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,893 moderator
    edited September 1, 2010
    Hey, I heard from Frank and here's an excerpt from his email:

Fascinating! I told him I'd buy a copy.

Cool. I hope you invited him to DGrin and I hope he comes. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Cool. I hope you invited him to DGrin and I hope he comes. thumb.gif
    Yeah, I linked him the discussion and he said, "Cool! I'm talked about in a forum."
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    vs

990463449_TSbv7-L.jpg
    How high of res can you make a shot like that? We just leased new office space today with enormous walls... I'd buy one of your shots if you can give me enough pixels.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    I have figured out what the bad part of this forum is, I see all these cool shots and I want to do them but can't ..... yet.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    How high of res can you make a shot like that? We just leased new office space today with enormous walls... I'd buy one of your shots if you can give me enough pixels.

This exact one isn't that high, only about 2k across to check what it would look like. It's a stitch of 84 photos (bracketed) shot at 24mm on the 5DMkII so there's plenty of resolution there, in a normal panorama stitch you see cars in the road and the twisty bits of Lombard St.

Your encouragement is enough for me to work through the few alignment issues I'm getting and produce a seriously high res version.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Your encouragement is enough for me to work through the few alignment issues I'm getting and produce a seriously high res version.
    I can't promise we'd use it, but we're in desperate need of really high res, sharp, stunning images. We're getting visitors to our HQ every day who come just to oooooo and aaaaah over the big prints, and we just doubled our office space and the new blank walls make me crazy.

What makes a big image great is when you can see detail that you'd love to see in a smaller version but can't. And when it's interesting technically, has a great story behind it, etc.

This shot is really interesting technically, and every time I see one like it I wish I could zoom in and see cars on Lombard Street, etc.

The reason I say we can't promise we'd use it is we've broken some hearts before when we saw the original file and realized that enough pixels is necessary but insufficient to create a big image. The lens, light, mount, ISO, and stitching have to combine to make it clean and sharp, not an easy feat for a 140" high print. It defeats all but a very few photographers.

But you sound like someone who could make it happen and I'd love it if you do.

I was in Apple's HQ the other day and they had a 5-story tall image hanging from the rafters of a laptop that was sharp as nails, which Steve Jobs demands. I spoke to the photographer (a SmugMug user) about how he did it, and he stitched together a zillion macro shots that were taken with a great lens at its sharpest f-stop with no vibration, etc. Awesome.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Likewise I can't promise I can deliver a stitch that will totally work. The biggest issue is that I don't have a lower zenith shot for this. You probably realised that it was taken from Coit Tower. so the green patch in the middle is a bunch of trees I cloned in quickly. The parallax shift is also larger then I'd like as I had to move from window to window to cover the whole city.

Let me see what I can do. I saw the video on youtube of you showing off your big prints to Scoble, very cool.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Try this
    If you want a very large file check out the following link: http://www.gigapan.org/