Options

Dance portfolio shoot

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited August 31, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
OK so I've never gotten into doing many portraiture shoots, but I have the equipment and enough experience to do it right, and now a potential client is in my reach. Where I lack is the knowledge of pricing and the business framework since I haven't routinely done paid portrait gigs yet. I need input to figure out a set in stone price.

I'm thinking of charging $300 for a 1 hour on location shoot (within a half hour driving distance) with 3 8x10 prints included, full image processing, small pictures for facebook, and the file/rights to reproduce their favorite image however they want. Is this too much? Too little? What do you think a really good portrait's rights and file is worth to a single person (fairly)?

I've calculated this using $50/hr time (estimate about 3-4 hours total) $25 for each print, and the rights/file for her to print as she pleases.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    The moderators that be will prob moove this thread to the Mind your own business forum.

My first response is to ask: are they expecting a couple clothing/ location changes in 1 hour?

Within 1 hour, they are usually just barely warming up to the camera.

I would consider lengthening the amount of time you shoot.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    The moderators that be will prob moove this thread to the Mind your own business forum.

My first response is to ask: are they expecting a couple clothing/ location changes in 1 hour?

Within 1 hour, they are usually just barely warming up to the camera.

I would consider lengthening the amount of time you shoot.

I know her more personally so she should be warm quickly. Shes going to be dancing more than posing and when shes dancing she gets into it. She doesn't want to change since it is for a portfolio to show off her dance structure and not fashion-y stuff. If needing more time ends up being the case I may shuffle around the left over driving time into shooting time :) and if she really needs the more time I guess I'll just charge for it.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    But aside that... $300 seem reasonable? The more I think about it the more comfortable I'm getting with that number
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    experienced photogs around SF bay area might may charge from $300-$400 for 2-3hr session

that said..just keep shooting until you are satisfied that you got what you want.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Looked at your website. Do you have any portrait work that you could post here, by chance?

Just FYI, but you need to take a look at the first image in your Landscape section. (Sunset Grounded)
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Looked at your website. Do you have any portrait work that you could post here, by chance?

Just FYI, but you need to take a look at the first image in your Landscape section. (Sunset Grounded)

I sort of do. Most of my people work is candid. I'll post some along with some studio portraits in my first portraiture class and maybe there's stuff I've forgotten about too, lol. What's wrong with the sunset image? I don't see anything wrong with it :)
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010

I set up a gallery with 25 samples, although most of it is not studio or set up, that's what I got. (Some of it may still be processing)

http://overfocused.smugmug.com/Other/People/13570926_eU3XM#989651366_F9VSb
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Sorry, thought the whole sunset image was OOF. I do, however, see a sharper glance at the water. Really like the shot of the little fella with the basketball.