Help manual focusing?

2»

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Yeah the whole point of buying an old manual focus lens (that costs 3-4 times more than an autofocus 50 1.8) ...is to use it at f/1.2. So using the hyperfocal markings and stopping down is probably not desirable here...

If you're upgrading to the 50 1.4 AF, I'll gladly take the 1.2 AIS off your hands. :-)

I will say that achieving sharp focus is a TON easier on a full-frame camera than a crop sensor camera. I just shot a wedding yesterday with a D700 and a manual focus 50mm f/1.8, and it was really easy to shoot formal portraits. I usually shoot with a D300, and have played around with my AIS lenses on that body numerous times. Rented the D700 this past weekend and there is definitely a difference when looking through the viewfinder. And also, the focus confirmation help system is WAY better on the FX flagships too. You get little directional arrows that guide you in!

Yeah, you get a bunch of fuzzy shots, but people are holding still and you're on your own time, NOT trying to photograph candids or anything. After yesterday I'm really interested in picking up a 50 1.2 AIS, mostly for use around f/2 to achieve sharpness that my 50 1.8 AIS just couldn't deliver.

If any kind of movement is to be photographed, at those apertures I simply recommend autofocus. Get the 50 1.4 AF and call it even. Or in some very controlled action situations, you can afford to manual focus and then shoot rapidly as the subject passes through your focal plane. I do this all the time for gymnastics work, and lately have done it a lot for our new puppy that runs like a maniac and focus tracking couldn't possibly keep up Laughing.gif...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    With a rangefinder you do not need a focus verification dot.......when the tow images are merged to one it is in focus.....I used to shoot concerts with a RF ....it was light, fit in my pocket until ready to use...unfold it and viola a 645 Fujica with an 80mm lens...damn that thing was fast focusing..very bright viewfinder....I miss that little cam.....shot weddings with it also.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    With a rangefinder you do not need a focus verification dot.......when the tow images are merged to one it is in focus.....I used to shoot concerts with a RF ....it was light, fit in my pocket until ready to use...unfold it and viola a 645 Fujica with an 80mm lens...damn that thing was fast focusing..very bright viewfinder....I miss that little cam.....shot weddings with it also.................

:lol Yeah but my eyesight is a bit wonky and everytime I've ever tried a pair of glasses to help out I keep getting these crazy headaches so I don't bother with them any longer.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.