Options

Fans list on SmugMug

MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited August 30, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I just saw this in my gallery Control Panel. What is this exactly? How do people become "fans". And how can I add myself to someone elses site to be there fan?
TCGphoto.com

\Ma*lef"ic\, a. Doing mischief; causing harm or evil; hurtful

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    MaleficZ wrote:
    I just saw this in my gallery Control Panel. What is this exactly? How do people become "fans". And how can I add myself to someone elses site to be there fan?

i become your "fan" if i click on "this is my friend" at the top of your gallery main page.

your "fans" are listed in your control panel.

it's all explained here in the excellent smugmug help section
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    fan/friend confusion
    andy wrote:
    i become your "fan" if i click on "this is my friend" at the top of your gallery main page.
    I understand the problem with needing a different way to refer to two groups of people - the people who like me (e.g. my fans) and the people I like (my friends) but it's really confusing the way it's done now where saying "this is my friend" suddenly turns me into a "fan". What about when the user isn't my "friend" (e.g. a commercial user) but I want to view it often? I don't think that friend or fan adequately describes my relationship to that site.

If we stick with friend for lack of a better term, how about saying "friend of" and "befriended by" so that the root term (friend) stays the same? Then it won't need so much explaining.

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    jcdill wrote:
    I understand the problem with needing a different way to refer to two groups of people - the people who like me (e.g. my fans) and the people I like (my friends) but it's really confusing the way it's done now where saying "this is my friend" suddenly turns me into a "fan". What about when the user isn't my "friend" (e.g. a commercial user) but I want to view it often? I don't think that friend or fan adequately describes my relationship to that site.

If we stick with friend for lack of a better term, how about saying "friend of" and "befriended by" so that the root term (friend) stays the same? Then it won't need so much explaining.

jc

wave.gif hiya jc and welcome to dgrin :D thanks for your input - i'll make sure folks at smugmug see it....