Sending gear to Nikonland

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited September 5, 2010 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

On my recent Alaska trip the shutter on my D3 failed. On my return I sent it off to Nikonland for repairs. I also sent in my 500mm f/4 as it would not AF with TCs.

I listed them on the packing list and sent them off in the same package from our local mailing store (Mailman Joey's) on the 18th and they were received in Nikonland on the 20th.

It takes Nikon around a week to get these items into their system and on the 23rd I got an e-mail from Nikon with the service # for the D3. I waited for a few days but I received nothing on the 500mm.

I contacted Nikonland and got a lass who didn't seem to be sentient. She couldn't locate the lens but instead focused one the fact that I wasn't listed as the owner of the lens (I bought it from a shooter who was not the original purchaser). Anyhow she gave me an incident # and told me would get an e-mail. That was on Friday.

On Monday I got a call from the owner of Mailman Joey's' He had just received a repair estimate for the 500 from Nikon. He was also listed as the customer and his address was listed as the return address.

So I call Nikonland back and went through the whole megillah again. It seems upon the receipt of my package the packing list went off with the D3 and no one left a copy with the 500. Having no other info someone just listed the return address of Mailman Joey's as the owner.

Its all resolved now and everything is being repaired.

If you ever send gear off to Nikonland I would suggest that if you are sending in more than one item that you mail each item separately and not in the same package.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Wow, aren't those 500's costing around 8 or 9 grand these days? Seems they'd take a bit more care.

Luckily, where I am, I just walk over to Nikonland and the lovely ladies put on the white gloves, carefullly log my gear into their system while I'm sitting there, and then carry my kit into the back where the magic happens. I have been there at least 6 or 7 times in the last 2 years and they've never lost or misplaced anything of mine. Really cuts down on those heart attacks!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Wow, aren't those 500's costing around 8 or 9 grand these days? Seems they'd take a bit more care.

Luckily, where I am, I just walk over to Nikonland and the lovely ladies put on the white gloves, carefullly log my gear into their system while I'm sitting there, and then carry my kit into the back where the magic happens. I have been there at least 6 or 7 times in the last 2 years and they've never lost or misplaced anything of mine. Really cuts down on those heart attacks!

I wish I could drive over to Nikonland it would greatly reduce the agita. Nothing makes your day as much as being told they can't locate an $8k lens.:twitch
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Harryb wrote: »
    Nothing makes your day as much as being told they can't locate an $8k lens.:twitch

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/3914084404_412febf9a3.jpg

I sure hope you had the use of another setup! Andy to the rescue?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/3914084404_412febf9a3.jpg

I sure hope you had the use of another setup! Andy to the rescue?

I still had my D300 to shoot with. The shutter on the D3 died on the second day of my Alaska trip.
    Harry
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I still had my D300 to shoot with.

:whew
    The shutter on the D3 died on the second day of my Alaska trip.

:splat:yikes:(:
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010

If you ever send gear off to Nikonland I would suggest that if you are sending in more than one item that you mail each item separately and not in the same package.

Duly noted,, with B I G note to self! eek7.gifH o l y !
    tom wise
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010

Well that's cause you were THERE, you don't look much like a taped up box rolleyes1.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    All my gear has gone back through my Nikon dealer. It has seemed to work well. D300 failure when new and 17-55mm f2.8 lens repair after being dropped.
    Both items I had bought from the dealer, but they said they will treat any item the same no matter where I bought it. But I do think it is good thing to support your local dealer if possible.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/