Climbing (something I would never do)

StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
edited September 1, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Photos from the archive that I finally got around to processing. I did the processing in LR, a program I'm just learning, so C&C is welcome!

The location is Smith Rock in Central Oregon, one of the premiere climbing spots in the country. (Or so I'm told. As you know, if you saw my balloon pictures, this is way out of my comfort zone...:D)

983424554_rvnTX-L.jpg

983425109_BRNFd-L.jpg

983425618_5rYxP-L.jpg

983424156_niTcG-L.jpg

Comments

• TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Looks like Canyonlands :) We drove through there in April and I tell ya what; no way! The perspective with the climbers on the rock face is all I needed to see.
    Cool shots.
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    It does look like climbers heaven there :D

1st photo is just beautiful...you can even see the water ripple over the rocks in the stream.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    TJDIV: It reminds me of Canyonlands too...I need to get back there some time. Thanks for the compliment.

Dogdots: Do you climb? It certainly is someone's heaven...but scares the heck out of me. (My sons have spoken of taking up climbing--they climb at an indoor training center now--the whole idea is terrifying!)

Thanks for the comment about the first photo. I was pretty happy with it...the day was really overcast, but a shot of afternoon light hit the walls of stone just as I was reaching the top of the trail.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    That first picture is epic.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    TJDIV: It reminds me of Canyonlands too...I need to get back there some time. Thanks for the compliment.

Dogdots: Do you climb? It certainly is someone's heaven...but scares the heck out of me. (My sons have spoken of taking up climbing--they climb at an indoor training center now--the whole idea is terrifying!)

Thanks for the comment about the first photo. I was pretty happy with it...the day was really overcast, but a shot of afternoon light hit the walls of stone just as I was reaching the top of the trail.

Oh no....I stopped climbing long ago and that was just trees :D

If I were young again I'd climb in a heart beat. I hear being the last one to go up is the safest. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's where I'd be :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Nice shots. A number of my friends from the DC area climb out at Smith Rocks. Now that Uncle Art(hritis) has taken up residence in my hands, I don't do as much rock climbing. Ice, now . . . there's another story altogether.

Get your kids out of the gym and onto real rock. :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Love these...I spent most of the nineties climbing there, and these brought back fond memories. Thanks for sharing.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Chick: Thanks for the compliment! (I've never had a picture of mine called epic before! rolleyes1.gif)

Dogdots: Makes sense to me...I'll keep that in mind when my kids start...:D

Icebear: Your friends travel quite a long ways to climb then! I hope they enjoy the area. We love it. My family is thinking of going out DC way next year...

Oh, my kids will get out on real rock now that they are getting older, I'm sure. And I'll take pictures, 'cause otherwise I'll faint. I will need to be focused on something!

Gary: Thanks for the comment! Much appreciated.