Options

Canon S80

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited September 5, 2005 in Cameras
Has anyone heard much about this camera? I just recently dropped and broke my Canon G3 and the insurance comapny is giving me a choice on either a G6 or something of equal value. Might just wait until October for the S80.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=12074

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    My perspective is that of an enthusiastic S60 user. The S80 seems to have a few worthwhile refinements, like 8 megapixels, faster autofocus, a live histogram while shooting, and vastly improved movie mode, and USB 2. However, there is at least one deal-breaker aspect of the camera that ensures that I will never buy an S80.

The minor disappointment for me is that the S80 uses SD/MMC cards. The previous models in the line (S45, S50, S60, S70) all used Compact Flash, as does your G3 and my XT. If you want to be able to stick with Compact Flash, the S80 throws a wrench in the works.

But the major disappointment is that the S80 does not have RAW support. The earlier S models do. I see that the G3 supports RAW, so if you'll miss RAW, you might want to skip the S80.

Right now I feel I have a great one-two combo in my little S60 and my more serious Rebel XT dSLR. They both shoot RAW, provide full manual controls, and I can freely share the same CF cards, NB2LH batteries, and charger between them. It really simplifies travel. The S80 would be a step backwards for me.

If you don't use RAW or Compact Flash, the S80 looks like a great continuation of a classic line of point-and-shoots. If you do require RAW and Compact Flash, the S80 is a complete disaster, and I would instead steer you in the direction of the currently available S70, which still supports RAW and CF. Or, step up to another model, as my understanding is that the G series, which I have never tried, was a cut above the S series.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    Thanks for your insight.

I actually posted this before really reading the complete page for the S80. Not until the spec sheet on DPreview did I notice that RAW was missing. I shot mostly RAW for my DSLR and the G3 but it's not a total loss, I intend to mostly take snap shots with this camera. Then saw that SD is the only card supported, which means at least $100 more for a 1GB SD card.

The S70 is really nice camera but I like the movie features of the new Canon's. I was really hoping that the S80 would be a nice mid point between the larger G6 and compact S500.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • Options
    ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Well, I'm a very happy user of a S70 (and soon an 20d user), and as far as I have read, I will not go for the S80, if I were looking for a new one.

Cons:
    • the lack of CF card, and the use of SD card, total :jawdrop
    • No RAW?? eek7.gif
    • More auto modes.
    • 1.8 fps (the S70 has in High speed 2.0 or 1.5 in normal mode)
    • Grey color. I prefer the black one like S50 or S70.

Pros:
    • Large LCD Monitor (2.5") thumb.gif
    •*More auto modes. ne_nau.gif why if you want 8MP want an auto mode? For something I will never use? My color mode? headscratch.gif
    •*Noise reduction at lower speeds. thumb.gif
    • 2.0 USB (...that I never use)

But, this is only my personal point of view and opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    Losing RAW seems like this camera was designed for the general public and not the amature photographer. Seems strange since more people are starting to know about RAW, even with Microsoft making RAW files viewable from explorer.

The 2.5" LCD is nice, I always thought the 1.8" was a tad small to really see any details of the photos.

As a plus, once the S80 comes out then the prices will drop on the S70.

Rob
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    It looks to me like they must have done some market research and asked people to prioritize their wish lists. When the results came back, the consumers must have rated "better movie mode" over "RAW support," particularly because the S-series movie mode had been falling farther behind the competition. While I don't know anything about how the internals of these cameras work, maybe Canon had to trade off RAW to get the killer movie mode, changing some of the other features, like the card format, in order to better support movies. The S80 movie mode does look enticing on paper, I mean 1024x768 per frame is more resolution than miniDV, and is halfway to high-definition video. I have been dreaming of a future video camera where I could pull a true multi-megapixel still from any of the video frames. But that is too far off, so RAW is more important to me right now.

We can just sit back, wait, and let our money gain interest in the bank. Maybe later there will be an S85 with RAW and an ordinary movie mode, or an S90 with RAW and the killer movie mode.
  • Options
    arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    You folks with your ears to the ground.....

Anybody heard anything that Canon might introduce a G7?
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    If you are worried about not being able to use your SD card back in your bigger camera, there are SD to CF adaptors. I dont know if you lose any speed, but i think they are only 15 bucks and turn an SD card into a CF card. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8