P&S Advice for travel

tipsinartoktipsinartok Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited August 31, 2010 in Cameras
My sister just called me to ask for some advice on camera buying. She wants to spend under $300 Canadian, but found a camera she really likes for $350Cdn. It's a Sony, and I don't know much about them except I think I've heard they're overpriced. That was years ago though, so things may have changed. She is traveling to Central American and wants a reliable camera that will allow her to blow up the shots. Mostly outdoor photos, and she wants a good zoom. She doesn't want an SLR. It needs to be small and easy to carry around and use. She really likes the sweeping panoramic feature on the Sony. Are there any other cameras I should tell her to have a look at or is the Sony a good buy? It's a Sony Cyber Shot 14.1mp. She didn't get the model number (though she said she got the model number of a lower model, DSCH55B). She may not have the time or the inclination to buy a refurbished one online, but she might be open to it if there are good buys.

ETA: I think this is the camera she is looking at: http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC_HX5/
Please don't be afraid to critique my photos, I'm here to learn and get better.
Canon XS with kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/5-5.6, 420EX external flash

Comments