First post so thought I better get stuck in (shots from my holiday last week)

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited September 1, 2010 in People
Hi all,

I just joined today and decided the best way to get to know some people would be to put a post up and include some shots I took of the family last week while on holiday. I'm from the UK but currently living in Egypt right on the Mediterranean sea.

I enjoy most aspects of photography but really would like to get better at portrait and wedding to possibly one day make a go of things as a career. I have much to learn but that's part of the fun of the game.

Looking forward to sharing with everyone and getting advice, assistance etc.

I shoot Canon and these were all with the 5DmkII and 24-105 for the first 2 and the 70-200mm f2.8 IS for the last.

This is my wife who I managed to convince it was a good idea just after sunset to sit on a rock in the sea :thumb

Seems I can only include one photo per post so will add two more posts afterwards.

Please feel free to comment and give critique on these. I did spot the head turn wasn't away enough so she is slightly broad lit...... live and learn :D

Mark

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    My wife's sister.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

edited August 31, 2010
    Daughter of my wife's cousin. She is a cutie.

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Nice images. First, if you use links with img/img pragmas, you can link as many images per post as you want.

My non-pro 2-cents:

I like the first one; nice balance on the light.
    The second one seems to have the light in the wrong spot. The shadow off her nose is too big as it goes all the way into her lip.
    The last one is really lovely. The shallow focus and the 70-200's nice bokeh are working well for you there.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    These are lovely. Beautiful people naturally posed in great settings. Suggestion for lighting on the first two images is to set the flash compensation slightly lower (maybe -.7) and gel the flash to warm the light. This will help the lighting better blend into the great sunset light and call less attention to itself.
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin. I'm interested in what lens you used in #1. I would like to see you closer with a wide lens and the same composition. Nice exposure.
    edited September 1, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Nice images. First, if you use links with img/img pragmas, you can link as many images per post as you want.

My non-pro 2-cents:

I like the first one; nice balance on the light.
    The second one seems to have the light in the wrong spot. The shadow off her nose is too big as it goes all the way into her lip.
    The last one is really lovely. The shallow focus and the 70-200's nice bokeh are working well for you there.

Thanks, I agree about the 2nd..... is it OK to blame that on the son of my wife's cousin? OK, so I should have moved him or turned her head.

edited September 1, 2010
    Halite wrote: »
    These are lovely. Beautiful people naturally posed in great settings. Suggestion for lighting on the first two images is to set the flash compensation slightly lower (maybe -.7) and gel the flash to warm the light. This will help the lighting better blend into the great sunset light and call less attention to itself.

Thanks, what would you use for the gel, I'm new to doing anything interesting with the flash so this was my 2nd time of off camera shooting..... the first was the day before?

edited September 1, 2010
    Clixphoto wrote: »
    Welcome to DGrin. I'm interested in what lens you used in #1. I would like to see you closer with a wide lens and the same composition. Nice exposure.

Thanks for the welcome. I used the 24-105 at 24mm although I did crop it down a bit to get her head onto the 3rds lines. We will have to find somewhere else to shoot and try again.

• HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Mark1616 wrote: »
    Thanks, what would you use for the gel, I'm new to doing anything interesting with the flash so this was my 2nd time of off camera shooting..... the first was the day before?

The most common gels used for this are various Change to Orange ("CTO") filters. You can also get variations that are more yellow (such as Straw) or darker orange. A 1/2 CTO is very useful, since you can use one alone for a light touch or stack a couple for more orange. How much you use depends on your personal taste.
    edited September 1, 2010
    That's great, I will see what I can get my hands on when back in the UK, not sure that I will find what I need here in Egypt.