Options

Clarity in Lightroom vs an exported .jpg

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited September 11, 2010 in Finishing School
Quick question.....

My first observation is when I process a .NEF in Lightroom V2.2, the reduced size view seems a bit soft. But when I go full size by clicking in the image, the sharpness is there.

Next observation is, when I export the image in .jpg format, it's just not as sharp as the full size I was viewing in LR. I've noticed this when I specify the longest side to be something other than the original size.

Am I missing something when exporting? Does resizing to a smaller size degrade the sharpness?

Comments

• Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    I am not to familiar with lightroom, but it depends on what settings you use to resize your photo, for instance, a bicubic resize to smaller would degrade sharpness, but a bicubic sharper resize smaller would make the image sharper. Maybe someone else who knows lightroom will be more of a help with specific settings, but I know in photoshop there are 5 different ways to resample a image
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Also where do you have the quality slider in Lightroom for JPG? There are also newer versions of 2.x out now that might address this, I know that there is also LR 3.2.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Also where do you have the quality slider in Lightroom for JPG? There are also newer versions of 2.x out now that might address this, I know that there is also LR 3.2.

I've got the Quality at "100" on export at the moment, so that got me to playing around with some more export functions.

WOW - Update.....
    If I reduce the image size on export, I just set it to "Sharpen" for screen at "Standard". That's set at 240 pixels per inch, and what a difference! I think I'm in the ballpark now for the crispness everyone seems to have. I just need to click the Sharpen for Screen button on exports now.

Thanks!

• Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    M38A1 wrote: »
    WOW - Update.....
    If I reduce the image size on export, I just set it to "Sharpen" for screen at "Standard". That's set at 240 pixels per inch, and what a difference! I think I'm in the ballpark now for the crispness everyone seems to have. I just need to click the Sharpen for Screen button on exports now.

Does anyone know how the sharpen for screen impacts prints? I want my photos to look great both on the screen and printed.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Does anyone know how the sharpen for screen impacts prints? I want my photos to look great both on the screen and printed.

You would likely export two sets of JPEGs: One for each purpose. Lightroom has the ability to set the "sharpen for" and you should use one setting for stuff you put on the web, and the other for things you are printing.
  • Options
    ejg1890ejg1890 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2010

There is a similar Sharpen button in the print "module". Check Sharpen for Printing then select Low, Standard or High.