Options

Panorama View from Quernmore, over Morecambe Bay to the Isle of Man

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited August 31, 2010 in Landscapes
Prepare to see some amazing detail at subjects miles and miles from the camera! (The gas rigs are I believe 10 miles out to sea!)

Had a ride up into the hills tonight with a camera club friend and tried to get some landscape shots and in the main, failed miserably because the sun buggered off.

The only thing that was remotely usable, and even this I don't think is as good as you seasoned landscapers would have managed. It probably didn't help having only a basic lens on the camera (the Canon 55-250 IS) which is a long way off L series, and the lateness of the hour meant the shot even on the 18mp 550D sensor suffered, which had me using some noise reduction to tidy it up.

Anyway, I thought I would post it anyway.

The view is from 3 images stitched in Photoshop, taken from close to Jubilee Tower, an old monument at Quernmore looking out towards Morecambe Bay. You can make out local reservoirs to the far right hand side. At the top left you can clearly see the wind turbines out in Morecambe Bay. I was reliably (allegedly) informed that you can in the distance, beyond the large buildings that is the Heysham Power Station,the long spit of land which is the edge of Barrow-in-Furness and over this outcrop of land see the mountains on the Isle of Man. All this seen against a sky of low red sunlight as the sun had disappeared beyond the horizon. These landmarks were identified by a chap who had a GPS thing on his mobile phone (whose hobby is to photograph all 600 trig points across the UK). In the large version you can see boats and such on he water and lights on buildings. I think, considering the lens, and the ½ second exposure times, it has come out pretty well.

When seen large sized, the detail at the distance of the horizon is amazing really!

Exif:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Lens: EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Image Date: 2010-08-31 20:10:46 +0000
Focal Length: 250mm
Focus Distance: Infinite
Aperture: f/19.0
Exposure Time: 0.500 s (1/2)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998)
Photographer: Paul Iddon
Copyright: A View of the UK - Paul Iddon Photography

smallPano2framednamed.jpg

See it full size HERE (click and then zoom in when you see it).

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk