D700 WB (copy from existing image)

chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited September 1, 2010 in Cameras
...I'm missing something when trying to load some of my processed images (jpg) onto a CF card...then load those images onto one of the 4 slots dedicated to WB presets in camera. When I put the card back into the camera it won't read the files I've loaded on the card. I've re-formatted, then loaded the files into the DCIM folder on the card...is it that the files have been processed? Not NEF?

cg

Comments

• racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Did you change the file name any?
    Todd - My Photos
  • chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    racer wrote: »
    Did you change the file name any?

...all the ones I'm trying to use have been processed in LR and outputted as jpegs...I've made WB adjustments that I like and want to duplicate in camera the "easy" way...Laughing.gif...

cg
    edited September 1, 2010
    chasgroh wrote: »
    ...all the ones I'm trying to use have been processed in LR and outputted as jpegs...I've made WB adjustments that I like and want to duplicate in camera the "easy" way...Laughing.gif...

cg

...after trying some shots from scratch the function works fine...these are NEF...it just seems counterproductive to not be able to "work" the WB first!

cg
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Per Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the D300 (I imagine the D700 would be similar)... He says that when you save or update JPGs on a computer, some of the EXIF data gets changed in ways that the camera detects, and this leads to the files not being recognized by the camera.

Maybe that's part of the issue you're having.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 1, 2010
    You are misinterpreting how the camera uses images for WB preset.

Normally you capture an image with a white target in the lighting you wish to perform auto-WB upon. That image, and it's white target, are what the camera uses for WB calibration. When you save the WB from that calculation into a preset all you are saving is the camera's WB calibration data. (It's just a WB offset.) I believe that the camera only stores this data (the custom WB offset) in the Nikon RAW files, to be used later by the RAW processing software. If you produce JPG images in-camera, the selected WB preset is "applied" to the RAW image in the camera, but the WB data is not recorded with the file.

If you produce NEF files from the camera, the WB offset "is" recorded into the file and may be used by RAW processing software. Files output from the RAW processing software no longer contain the WB offset data.

To reiterate, if you want to capture files to be used for WB preset, capture the image in the environment and lighting to be used for the WB offset in NEF and include a white target in that image. Follow the manufacturer's method of creating the WB preset from that file and keep that file intact and unprocessed if you ever need to recreate the WB preset.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 1, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You are misinterpreting how the camera uses images for WB preset.

Normally you capture an image with a white target in the lighting you wish to perform auto-WB upon. That image, and it's white target, are what the camera uses for WB calibration. When you save the WB from that calculation into a preset all you are saving is the camera's WB calibration data. (It's just a WB offset.) I believe that the camera only stores this data (the custom WB offset) in the Nikon RAW files, to be used later by the RAW processing software. If you produce JPG images in-camera, the selected WB preset is "applied" to the RAW image in the camera, but the WB data is not recorded with the file.

If you produce NEF files from the camera, the WB offset "is" recorded into the file and may be used by RAW processing software. Files output from the RAW processing software no longer contain the WB offset data.

To reiterate, if you want to capture files to be used for WB preset, capture the image in the environment and lighting to be used for the WB offset in NEF and include a white target in that image. Follow the manufacturer's method of creating the WB preset from that file and keep that file intact and unprocessed if you ever need to recreate the WB preset.

...as always, great info. This is as I suspected after messing with it for awhile. I'm a bit disappointed in that I really can't carry-over any tweaking I do in software...oh, well!

cg
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    chasgroh wrote: »
    ...as always, great info. This is as I suspected after messing with it for awhile. I'm a bit disappointed in that I really can't carry-over any tweaking I do in software...oh, well!

cg

you could always copy the image to your computer, mess with it with your software to see what WB looks correct, take note of what the numbers were, and use those numbers to set a custom WB in your camera.

Like was said though, that WB will only be good for the type of lighting that the original image was taken in, so if you set a custom WB, it might look really bad in a totally different type of lighting.
    Todd - My Photos