Post processing- checking focus and sharpening?

latentlatent Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 1, 2010 in Holy Macro
Dear Macro magicians.

When you do post processing work (in PS etc.) at what magnification do you check focus and apply sharpening. Is it always at 100%?

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 1, 2010
    i always check focus/sharpness before converting raw files, only use the very best sharpest shots. i sharpen at 80 in lightroom on conversion of raw files, then after finishing any work in ps, after saving full size image . i resize for web then sharpen with either un-sharp mask at 30-50 or high pass at 0.8 - 1.2
    always at 100% web size
  • JapersJapers Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I always check sharpness and focus at 100%. Other post processing (cloning dust spots for example) I always do at well over 100% in PaintShop Pro.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Yes and no. In initially scanning a set of images to decide which to keep, I often use 1:2 (50%). I just find it easier to have more of the image in front of me. For final selection, if it is ambiguous, I go to 1:1. For sharpening, LR requires you to be at 100%. However, I generally zoom out to 1:2 after sharpening to see the effects. It's a bit easier to see what it will really look like. I sharpen different amounts depending on the image and the output medium (inkjet 8x10s require more sharpening than on-screen images), so it makes sense for this reason among others to do all this right at the end.