Big Bottoms take 2

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited September 3, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
These are photos of boat hulls in a shipyard in Beaufort North Carolina. This has been an ongoing project of mine for the past few years. The wild colors and patterns are caused by the damage, restoration and weathering of a boat's hull. To me they look like paintings.

990717032_KgN8P-L.jpg

There is something special about sailboats in a shipyard. They sit out of the water in various stages of restoration. The hulls fully exposed for all to see. Showing what is normally hidden below the waterline.

990718633_qp8yd-L.jpg

Some of these boats have been around the world, some have been built by hand over a very long time and have never been in the water. They are all waiting. Dreams in progress waiting for the love, time, and money. Waiting for a new adventure.

990718982_LwkrU-L.jpg
The layers of paint have been worn down and built up telling the stories of a boats life and the places they have been. The fiberglass, wood, steel, aluminum and even concrete hulls will someday be finished and carry their owners across thousands of miles of ocean. Sailboats are self sufficient vehicles of a great escape.

990718194_cdTo8-L.jpg

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Nice series.......3 is my favoritethumb.gif
  • Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    As a lover of all things marine myself, love the series! Great concept and set~!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    After reading the title of this post I almost didn't open it. :D

Sam
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Well done series. Like you, I'm attracted to the patterns and colors. There should be a ready market for this type work throughout the marina industry. Have you ever gone to a marina operator's association and explored that possibility? Even though hard times have hit all spectrums of our society, people with boats tend to have more discretionary income than some others....such as money to buy good marine-oriented art.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Glad you guys like these.
    Here are a few more from the set.

990717724_Bk8bV-L-1.jpg

990715755_KdAxm-L.jpg
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Well done series. Like you, I'm attracted to the patterns and colors. There should be a ready market for this type work throughout the marina industry. Have you ever gone to a marina operator's association and explored that possibility? Even though hard times have hit all spectrums of our society, people with boats tend to have more discretionary income than some others....such as money to buy good marine-oriented art.

Tom

Thanks for great input Tom. After I finished my first set of these I was thinking they might have some value. After lots of tweaking of the originals I sort of got a process down for the color and it made them have even more pop. Now I think now, I might, maybe have something cool. I could see it in someones office or house on the wall.

This winter or fall when I am back at the coast I am planing on talking to some art galleries there and some restaurants to see if I can get something going. I will do the same here in Salt Lake, but I am not sure if they will get it. I am going to do some test prints on different media to see what looks best for these. Probably some nice thick photo rag. But glossy could be awesome too. I can do 13x19 at home on the epson. That is pretty big and will show well. But I am thinking these could look great huge. Like 4' 6'? That is $$$ print. But they would make some cool postcards too.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    The appeal of your unique art will be more universal, I think, then expected. Certainly, when informed of the origins of the pictures, the marine crowd will have an affinity for them. But I believe the acceptance of this work will readily bleed over to those folks interested in " modern " art in general.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with testing the market, albeit on a very limited basis, with some local gallery exposure. Your greater success, though, is going to come from reaching a much broader market....going for the maximum exposure possible. The ultimate answer for you is going to be Internet marketing. Think about it....what holds out the greatest chance for success? The prospect of buyers coming from those relative few that walk into the gallery or restaurant, or the likelihood that buyers will emerge from the untold thousands shopping the Internet? Should you develop an interest along these lines, I might be able to help you succeed in putting together a feasible marketing program.

Keep up the good work,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.